Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #15

My 2002 Diplomat does the same thing no way to shut off all power

mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #16

Can you hear the latching relay click when you turn the momentary "salesman switch" from connect to disconnect ? If not it probably failed in the closed position. Pretty easy to diagnose with a test light.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As suggested that may be factory but I would diagram the system and then change it. That would make me crazy. A few pictures would help. It should be easy to bypass the switches as they are now, just get one of those large binding posts and stack the wires up. Then put the switches in the negative leads of the batteries. I would put the negative lead of the starter on the side of the switch that does not shut the ground off though. The starter can't be engaged but when it is time to you will not be drawing that huge load through the switch.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I vote for bad relay or solenoid.

Snap a few photos for us.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #19

On our '06 Dynasty, there is a tap from the coach battery (I believe taken from the "hot" lug on the disconnect switch you are talking about) that runs to the rear run box. From the rear run box, it feeds the AquaHot (so it can't be shut down without a cool-down), the refrigerator, the Aladdin monitor, the CO and LP gas detectors, the HWH leveling system, the security system, the CB radio, the navigation system, and the door lock actuators. We don't have any lights that stay energized, but they could have provided for that.

The AquaHot, refrigerator and Aladdin are fed from the rear run box, and the others are fed from the front run box. So you will likely find a "bus" in the front run box that stays hot, regardless of the disconnect switch position.

There is also a tap from the chassis battery on the "hot" side, but it only goes to the engine alternator, and to the starter solenoid, only.

See if that helps.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
front and rear run boxes

In general, what is being fed (which circuits) from the rear run box?

I'm sure it varies from model to model but what might a person
expect to find on their 2006 (or so) Monaco in each box?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
On our '06 Dynasty, there is a tap from the coach battery (I believe taken from the "hot" lug on the disconnect switch you are talking about) that runs to the rear run box. From the rear run box, it feeds the AquaHot (so it can't be shut down without a cool-down), the refrigerator, the Aladdin monitor, the CO and LP gas detectors, the HWH leveling system, the security system, the CB radio, the navigation system, and the door lock actuators. We don't have any lights that stay energized, but they could have provided for that.

The AquaHot, refrigerator and Aladdin are fed from the rear run box, and the others are fed from the front run box. So you will likely find a "bus" in the front run box that stays hot, regardless of the disconnect switch position.

There is also a tap from the chassis battery on the "hot" side, but it only goes to the engine alternator, and to the starter solenoid, only.

See if that helps.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #21

Many, if not most higher end coaches, have the inverter wired directly to the house battery bank so turning off the main bat switches doesnt impact on this connection. So, if your inverter is on and "inverting", you will have 120v inverted power to those circuits powered by/thru the inverter.....

PS--some manufactures also direct connect a few other things like propane sensors, entry steps, fridg etc. All of these circuits are fused [as is the inverter] but no direct cut-off...
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #22

I don't know if this will work, but I'll try. I am attempting to attach two pdf files to this reply. One is a single-line drawing I made of the coach battery system, and the other is of the chassis battery system. I do NOT guarantee their accuracy, but they are really close, and are specific to our unit.

I hope this is of help. We'll see if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chassis Battery Single Line.pdf (24.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Domestic Battery Single Line.pdf (24.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post

See if that helps.
Thanks for that information. I fielded that question a few days ago when I had a prospective buyer for my 05 dynasty. I opened the door to the coach before I switched on the house batteries and the step came out in addition to the remote unlock working. He asked me how did those work with the battery switched off. I told him that it must be wired direct possibly for safety reasons. Now it all makes more sense. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #24

Were you plugged into shore power at the time?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsha View Post
Were you plugged into shore power at the time?
If you are asking me, no I was not.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post

My 2002 Diplomat does the same thing no way to shut off all power
Aha, but there is one way to shut off ALL power. Disconnect the main negative cable from each battery bank, House and Chassis, and then also remove each fuse that is in line coming from the roof-top solar panel(s) if you have one.

That will KILL all power to the coach including the CO2 and LPG sensors that are usually wired directly.

Of course, this is assuming that you are not hooked to shore power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #27

We like most of how the coach is "wired". A couple of days before we plan to make a run with it, we stop by and turn on the refrigerator. The way it is wired, we can do that without powering up everything else. Also, I like the door locks not being disconnected by the battery. Our steps are not powered when the disconnects are open, though, and I wish they were. I could change that, but it's not that big of an inconvenience. Also, I do pull the fuses on the CO and Propane monitors, as they draw quite a bit from the batteries when the rig is in storage. Also, your inverter may be on the un-switched side of the disconnects. Mine was, but I moved it over.

Sure wish our storage unit had power available!

Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #28

did you try to disconnect the cables on the load side of the switches. then check if you still have lights If you do then there is a cross connect somewhere between the battery cables and the disconnect switches if you do not have lights then one or more of the switches are not working

Tags
power