Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #43

Why does everyone think that this is a problem? This is how Monaco wired the MH. It maybe not the way you want it or understand but it is the Monaco way.

Tedde, of your chassis batteries are going dead then you are most likely leaving something turned on such as the leveling system, or the CB Radio or something like that. Is there anyway you can keep your MH plugged into something like a 15 amp outlet while not in use?

One thing to do is to go into the MH at night and look for lights indicating something is turned on.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #44

No Mike there is no power available where I store my coach, in fact it is under 3 feet of snow right now with minus 35 degree weather. I was just reading the forum like I always do and am hoping to find why my chassis batteries are going dead. When I use the coach and with plugging in to shore power I have no problem. I removed the chassis batteries to replace them but it gets expensive replacing batteries every so often. I have a roof mounted solar panel and that, I was led to believe is supposed to charge ALL batteries throught the bird system, but it didn't,that is why I removed my solinoid and found the greeen corrosion. I can't try it until spring which is 4 months away so I am doing my research now..Like all the other forum users I thought that once the battery cut off switches were off....ALL WAS DEAD..

Ted
Old 12-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #45

You have me thinking now Mike..I spoke with the DW and she said she switches the fridge off when we store it, but this fall when I put my wheel covers on and I was under the front step side of my coach I heard the step motor still running, so I disconnected the wires to the step motor and all was quiet. I cannot retract my front steps .....IN ....while in storage unless I pull the wires off the motor while retracted or wire in a seperate toggle switch, but my dash switch should do that I thought..Going in the coach at night with the switches off is a great idea...wish I had warmer weather..

Ted
Old 12-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #46

Tedder the solar panel through the controller has two power outlets. One goes to the chassis batteries and one to the house batteries. The BIRD system is not used for solar power. Each one of the solar panel power outs are separately fused. On mine the fuse for the house batteries is located in the battery compartment and the fuse for the chassis batteries is located on the solar controller unit. Two things to check is the fuse to the chassis battery and the other thing is that the smaller gauge solar panel wire is attached to the positive post because sometimes it drops down when disconnecting the battery and one forgets to hook it up.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #47

Google Heliotrope RV-45D and you will find procedures for checking your solar panel output
Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #48

Thanks for all your help Mike....I will google it..

Ted
Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #49
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
I am having the same problem with my 05 HR. Sceptre.While not in use the chassis batteries go dead. I removed the battery solinoid that allows the 2 banks of batteries to be joined together and found the inside contacts were green and not making contact. I cleaned them off and hope it will solve my problem.The co 2 detector and propane detector and the front step staying on while disconnected......hmmmmmm. I better check that. My salesman switch is not bypassed. I don't know how to do that..

We are dealing with a common problem here....great info..
Those solenoids are a very common source of problems. You can do a search for Bird for example and you should come up with a hundred responses. I keep a spare on hand. They are easy to rebuild. Whey they turn green is a mystery to me and I have installed thousands of 12 volt relays. I modified the current one with holes so It can breathe and I can inject wd40 on occassion to clear any moisture.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #50
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
No Mike there is no power available where I store my coach, in fact it is under 3 feet of snow right now with minus 35 degree weather. I was just reading the forum like I always do and am hoping to find why my chassis batteries are going dead. When I use the coach and with plugging in to shore power I have no problem. I removed the chassis batteries to replace them but it gets expensive replacing batteries every so often. I have a roof mounted solar panel and that, I was led to believe is supposed to charge ALL batteries throught the bird system, but it didn't,that is why I removed my solinoid and found the greeen corrosion. I can't try it until spring which is 4 months away so I am doing my research now..Like all the other forum users I thought that once the battery cut off switches were off....ALL WAS DEAD..

Ted
Tedde. One thing to keep in mind is the Solar will keep the solenoid energized and it uses 1.5 amps by itself to stay energized. It goes asleep after the panels become dark enough of course. I put a connector on my solenoid so I can disconnect it. Winter days I want as many amps as possible going into my batteriers.OOOopps. Forgot to mention, my controller has two outputs so both banks get charged. With a single output you could just put your own light jumper across the battery solenoid or add a trik-l-charge.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #51
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Tedder the solar panel through the controller has two power outlets. One goes to the chassis batteries and one to the house batteries. The BIRD system is not used for solar power. Each one of the solar panel power outs are separately fused. On mine the fuse for the house batteries is located in the battery compartment and the fuse for the chassis batteries is located on the solar controller unit. Two things to check is the fuse to the chassis battery and the other thing is that the smaller gauge solar panel wire is attached to the positive post because sometimes it drops down when disconnecting the battery and one forgets to hook it up.

An easy way to check is to feel the solenoid on a sunny day after several hours. I suspect your BIRD does feel the charge voltage present (on either bank) and then engages the solenoid. I suspect yours is being engaged and you may not know it. Be careful, the solenoid gets hot.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #52

The BIRD system is NOT used on solar panel charging of the batteries. So if the MH is not plugged in and is using solar power to charge the batteries it is direct to the batteries and does not go through the BIRD

Also the green on brass or copper is caused by oxidation.

Tags
power