Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Mystery Wire in Battery Compartment

Hi All, The other day I cleaned the battery terminals on my 2001 Dynasty as a simple maintenance procedure. I noticed one wire near the House battery bank that was not connected. I am not sure if it was connected when I last I cleaned the terminals about 1 year ago. There are three additional wires aside from the the large battery cables. One is connected to a Negative, One to the positive and one to the temp sensor glued to a battery. My batteries are the original 4 6v Interstate Workoholic for the house and the large 8D for the Chassis amazingly they all seem to work fine and are charged by the factory solar panel when the MH is not in use they are 11 years old..

The Mystery wire that is not connected seems to be part of a loom on the right side when facing the lower tray, just laying there. I have searched thru the wiring diagram as well as the battery pamphlet from Monaco and could not find it.
Everything seems to work, although there may be items I am not aware of. Here is a Link to photos of the wire, it is distinctive, not a normal round terminal end. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Robert

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...715_111653.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...715_111447.jpg
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Robert
That appears to be the battery temperature sensor, to should be attached to one of the house battery terminals, it's to prevent overheating of the batteries during recharge.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the response Dennis. I already have a rectangular temperature sensor that is glued to one of the Batteries. Is this wire an additional connection? Which of the battery terminals does it connect to + or - ?
Robert
Old 07-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see only two possible answers. Temp and current Alas the photo is not sharp enough to detect current.
Temp sensor the metal will be one solid piece, this hooks to the NEGATIVE (normally) terminal but not absolutly required.

Current, there will be a slice of insulation between two pieces of metal, Like a sandwich, but if I were building a current sensor it would look,, different than that.

Tell us what devices you have that measure battery status, that might help Also what converter or inverter you have. (or both)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree it looks like a second Temp Sensor. Do you have a "Smart Controller" for the engine driven Alternator? If so, this could be the sensor for that controller.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #6

Hi, Some additional information that was asked.
My MH has the Trace RV2012 Inverter rated at 2000 Watts with genstart, and a GS RC7 remote. The MH also came with a 90 watt Solec 90 Solar Panel and controller model RV 30. This solar charger works well I have never had to jump start the MH or not had enough power to operate any house item lights, radio and other low power draw items prior to Engine or generator usage. I cannot connect to shore power where my MH is stored. When more power is needed I use the Gen.
All these items are original, nothing has been replaced. All serial numbers match from my build sheet.
I do not know what a "smart alternator controller is" but I swee no mention of it.
thanks
Robert
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Alt. Smart Controllers are a very common item on ocean boats that depend on their alternators for battery charging. Being pretty new to DP's, I thought they might be used on MH's but I guess with generators, solar and shore power plugs at the CG's we don't depend much on our engine driven Alt's
Maybe you are looking at a sensor for the solar panel regulator.
Sure is tough to figure out what all the bits and pieces are.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses.
Anyone with a 2001 Dynasty who can look at their Battery Compartment (lower or House Battery Tray) and see if they have the wire in the photos I have linked. I found this wire on the right side of the Tray next to the Batteries. I could have been connected to one of the 6V battery terminal Positive or the Tray itself as a Ground. The eyelet is too small for the Terminal nuts.
Does anyone know if there is another Sensor for the Solar Panel aside from the Temp sensor glued to the one House Battery? I just don't how to check.
Thanks
Robert
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #9

Hi All,
Anyone have any ideas?
Anyone have a 2000-2003 Dynasty which might have a similar set up?
Does anyone have a Dual Temperature sensor as has been suggested?
thanks
Robert
Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Very interesting, I too have exactly the same thing that is not attached to anything. Ive been meaning to track it backwards to find where it goes but I suspected temp sensor as well, although it doesnt really look like a bi-metallic strip. I'd be interested to know if someone out there has it hooked to something. Everything seems to work as designed but it seems kind of weird its just hanging out in there. One thing I have certainly noticed though, there are a lot of redundant connections that aren't hooked to anything in these beasts.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Another place you might try is Yahoo Groups. There is one there called Monacoers that was very helpful to me. I managed to find a very nice man who sent me some electrical drawings for my 01 HR.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #12

Hi All, Anyone have any ideas? We are leaving soon and will be installing new Batteries on the road, I would really like to find out before that.
Robert
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I was hoping someone would have an answer for us on this one but it looks like we are out of luck, maybe try calling monaco and send them the pic? I'd like to know too. I I get a chance I will call them next week.
Laters!
B
Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Robert, only thing I can say for sure is that it is not a battery temp sensor. The one you have glued to the side of a battery is what the Inverter you have uses. Sorry, no other ideas.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery