Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

I have noticed on the black paint portion of our 05 that there are little cracks in the paint and right thru the clear coat everywhere. No where else, no other color is involved. I wnder if the fact that the black paint will absorbe the heat more and therefor be much hotter is the problem. Look at the black paint portion of your coach (if you have black) and see if your coach is experiencing the same thing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #2

I have noticed on the black paint portion of our 05 that there are little cracks in the paint and right thru the clear coat everywhere. No where else, no other color is involved. I wnder if the fact that the black paint will absorbe the heat more and therefor be much hotter is the problem. Look at the black paint portion of your coach (if you have black) and see if your coach is experiencing the same thing.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
So some searches on paint problems. I think this issue has come up before.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/for...232/m/2831024924/p/1
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don't feel too bad Stretch, my new unit came with the complete "signature" human palm print embedded into the paint on the rear bumper. It's in for paint right now to repair, I just can't believe they let it go out like that.

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie SA
BraggSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Virtually all of the Monaco product built during a certain period (I don't have that info) has this problem. It is a result of the fiberglass used in the sidewalls. Monaco was repainting some coaches but that proved unsatisfactory because the problem recurred. The only way to "fix" it is to reskin the coach. Monaco was addressing this in coaches still in warranty but the problem usually doesn't show up in the first year. It was a hot topic when we were in the Monaco service facility in Oregon earlier this year. I have the problem on my coach and the best they would do was offer a discount certificate on a new Monaco to defray the loss of trade-in value. I havn't checked recently to see if they are still doing this. With conditions in the industry as depressed as they are I would be surprised to see much goodwill work being done.
Ron
Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is not just a Monaco problem. All major coach manufacturers have had similar problems with dark colored paint areas for some years. I was shown a letter by a 2006 Country Coach owner that was from the factory denying a claim of responsibility for his paint problem, it went something like this: All major manufacturers have experienced problems with fiberglass supplied by Owens-Corning wherein the fiberglass is releasing a gas when subject to heat. This causes "checking" (angular bubble like bumps) in the paint as well as cracking. We along with the other manufacturers have a lawsuit against Owns-Corning and we will apprise you of any settlement. Needless to say he was not very happy with Country Coach as he had paid over $400,000 for his coach 2 years earlier. I know this does not solve your problem, but may offer some insight into the issue. I would suggest you search the IRV2 website for paint problems to gain additional insight. As for me personally, I hope Monaco or Owens-Corning was able to correct the manufacturing process for I have a 2009 Camelot with a large area of the coach painted black.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #8

Thanks for all the enlightening info. Now I know it is not just our coach. Will keep wax on it and hope for the best