RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Would you like to see the OnCommand Connection integrated into the RV products?
No, Not at all. 1 9.09%
Yes, Unequivocally. Having my maintenance needs or engine alerts monitored and history available is important to me. 6 54.55%
Yes, If it were a "Standard Feature" {same features as above} (Free or very low rates) 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Navistar Introduces OnCommand Connection for Trucking Industry

Navistar Introduces "OnCommand Connection" for
On-Highway Trucks
Innovative Technology will Help Customers Improve Truck Performance Through Proactive Maintenance

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – MARCH 21, 2012 — Navistar, Inc. today introduced OnCommand™ Connection, a vehicle support program that provides commercial truck operators with visibility to important vehicle information while the vehicle is on the road. Integrated with Navistar’s MaxxForce® engines, made capable as a result of Navistar’s vertical product integration, and leveraging the OnCommand™ suite of after sales support services, OnCommand Connection uses truck performance data to proactively interpret and anticipate needed maintenance.

“OnCommand Connection is an example of how Navistar develops innovative products that help customers improve vehicle uptime,” said Phyllis Cochran, president, Navistar Parts. “We created OnCommand Connection to help convert unscheduled maintenance into scheduled maintenance so customers can keep trucks on the road.”

Hey guys ... as you know the entire Monaco product line is completely vertically integrated just like trucks. Given that new Monaco or Holiday Rambler buyers may want state of the art features, do you think that a "On-Star" like feature called, OnCommand Connection would be something that a RV owner would like to have on their new motorhome? Think of it as well as a subscription based service like you would have on your GM vehilce. (Totally optional)

The full Press Release about this Trucking Industry feature is located here:

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think it would be great knowing what needs to be done, rather than just having to trust the repair facitility

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If I could get something like an OnStar Report I think that would be great!

My OnStar Report has a monthly eMail notification and then it has an extended monthly status on the company web page. I'm not sure but I would hope that the OnCommand Connection would provide similar information. (It may be different since I don't know all the details)

I've attached the Internet report that is available for my Saturn.

Having this type of information available for a new 2012 motorhome I think would be great. If the information were also available on demand that would even be better. Right now I get a 30 day report UNLESS I directly call OnStar using the call button. They were able to diagnose a SES lamp that I had on the IP as a loose gas cap which is exactly what I had.
·
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagnostic.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	19147  
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmmm, very interesting. Any idea on the cost? I don't have "On Star" so I have nothing to compair it to. Would this replace a "Silverleaf" or "Scanguage" type system?
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Would this replace a "Silverleaf" or "Scanguage" type system?
I don't believe that those systems are integrated with other agencies. If I read the press release correctly, OnCommand will send the fleet operator a list of stuff that needs to be fixed or maintenance that is scheduled. I would think that the system is either connected via cellular device or a satellite uplink.

In my opinion, it would be great just to send the owner of the RV an eMail or a Text message if something needed to be brought to the attention of the owner.

Workhorse tried something like this back in 2002. I attended a rollout in Vegas for the R-series and they had technology at the time that could do this type of stuff and more. At that time, the technology was primitive and the expense was high so it did not materialize into anything other than a prototype. It was theorized that you could control systems on the vehicle remotely via the Internet but they weren't there just yet. For example you could start or stop any device like the fridge or generator or you could start the engine. I don't expect that none of these types of tasks would be integrated into the OnCommand system.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just this weekend I put up a new thread called:

TruckOS - "What Could Be Coming !!!"

The electronics on the vehicle are tied in with the Internet and provide the same features ar OnCommand. If the 2 largest truck manufacturers in the country are moving in the the direction of high-tech electronics, in my opinion, rolling this stuff out to RV'ers would be a good thing.

RV'ers are always buying more instrumentation VMSpec, ScanGauges (of all types), PC based diagnostic hardware & software, etc. Integrate those technologies with satellite or cellular service that maintains the data and manages the vehicle and this should be something to look forward to.

Tags
navistar