Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

NC Motorhome Insurance Quote

I received a notice that Allied Casualty(Nationwide) would no longer insure motorhomes in NC. I have been paying about $1000 per year for the policy. Contacted Good Sam who stated that they checked several companies and lowest quote was for $1800 for the year. My wife and I have no claims and no tickets in over 10 years and I also have a class "A" truck license. Wondering if anyone has any recommendation of companies that might offer a reasonable rate. I think it is a ridiculous amount of money on a vehicle only used once a month and worth about 160k.

Thanks for any recomendations and apologize if this is the wrong forum.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just changed to Liberty Mutual for the cars and their other company Safeco for the Motorhome. I am paying about $700 annually for my 2001 Scepter. National General was charging me about 50% more.
We do have a couple of accidents we are dinged for.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #3

I will give them a call.. Thanks for reply.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #4

Look at the Hartford through AARP. They were half what Proggresive through USAA wanted to charge me.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have USAA for my autos and Progressive for the Harley and coach.
devildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
I just changed to Liberty Mutual for the cars and their other company Safeco for the Motorhome. I am paying about $700 annually for my 2001 Scepter. National General was charging me about 50% more.
We do have a couple of accidents we are dinged for.
I have Safeco as well. Others were substantially more for me here in MI. You may also consider to drop the full coverage when you are not using it unless you are full-timing of course.
All the best!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

I had a similar experience while renewing in July. Except it was the other way around... Blue Sky quit writing and I ended up with Good Sam's RV Insurance.

Now my RV full-time and toad are both with Good Sam... my insurance dropped by 30%. Seems strange that insurance prices bounce around like this, but it seems they have a maximum number of policies they're looking for, so sometimes they jack up premiums to avoid writing more policies (inrease exposure in a specific geographic area).
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I have State Farm at about $900/yr.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Use a broker to search. We started doing that about 5 years ago and saved a ton.
For fulltime, we recently used Miller Insurance in Portland, OREGON. They shop all of the different companies for you. My previous broker couldn't match the rates....same company even!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #10

Insurance costs are difficult to compare because of vehicle specifics, driver ages and history, location, etc. I've had GEICO for over 20 years and more than four years on a FW. Full coverage includes comprehensive, collision, vacation liability, RV medical expenses, vacation delays, contents, road service, etc. and it's only $680/year in FL. I had one towing event this year with my TV on one wrecker and the FW on another; had to be more than $700. Still, no premium increase.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. Checked Safeco today and agent said they are no longer writing new business in NC. Seems like rates vary quite a bit state to state but have some time to keep checking. Best deal so far is Progressive at $1500 per year and that is only because I have my homeowners and car insurance with them. They stated it would be $300 more if I also listed my wife as a driver and she also has no points or violations. Still seems rather expensive compared to what I have paid in the past. The only option I am adding over "normal" coverage is glass replacement. A new windshield for our coach is well over $3000 and worth the investment imo. Raises the premium about $60 for the year.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #12

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1979 View Post
I will give them a call.. Thanks for reply.
SAFECO, unfortunately, does not write motorhomes in NC.

Progressive does, and at a good rate.

interesting, too, since I'm a Safeco agent myself, living in NC with a motorhome!
(don't ask me about my 'conversation' with Safeco about this!)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #13

I'll also add that you simply can't take what anyone on this forum provides as 'their' premium and believe that is has ANYTHING to do with yours. There are simply too many variables, and a lot of variables that most folks don't even know about - saying that "my insurance is 'cheap' and you should get some too" is misleading. Your rate with the same exact company will NOT be the same, maybe less, maybe a lot more, but NEVER the same.

the ONLY way to find the best company, the best rate for YOUR situation, is to compare ALL companies, period. Having stated that, it's still not a simple task, especially for motorhomes and their complexities, and it's aggravating and time consuming. But, it's the ONLY way. Or, your can just buy the first thing you see and be satisfied with it.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 AM   #14

To me $1500 is super affordable for a coach valued @ $160K. If it was valued @ $60 to 70K then it would be expensive.
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome