Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Need Brakes for 97 Safari Sahara

Can anyone direct me to someone who can supply pads and rotors for my 1997 Safari 35' MH. I just had the tires replaced and the shop says I need these but does not know where to get them. Also anyone with experience as to cost, I think these guys are way out there?
Thanks, Will

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like the shop is stupid, I would stay away from them!!!!!

With it being a Safari Sahara, I would assume it has air brakes, and are pretty generic, I would take it to a big rig shop.

BTW Welcome to IRV2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

I agree.

I may do this myself if some one knows the specs it would be help full.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its on a Magnum chassis right??

I would have to guess it has Bendix air brakes, wish I could help with the size and all that stuff
Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #5

If you are doing this yourself just take the old parts to any good HD parts store. Some NAPA's can do this but not all, Have you ever repaired an air brake system? If not this is not a regular do it yourself job. Monaco might be able to give you some part numbers.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscwilliam View Post
Can anyone direct me to someone who can supply pads and rotors for my 1997 Safari 35' MH. I just had the tires replaced and the shop says I need these but does not know where to get them. Also anyone with experience as to cost, I think these guys are way out there?
Thanks, Will
I don't believe they are AIR brakes, (most mid to late '90 Safaris have 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes).

Are you aware of the following Yahoo Safari groups?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SafariCoaches/

and/or:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Safarifriends/

There are many knowledgeable/helpful Safari owners on both sites, (some who have done brake jobs).
I'm sure someone there will be able/willing to help you.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #7

Again thanks for all the help. The brakes are hydrolic, I think Ford F650 super trucks. The shop wanted $4000 to $6000 to do the repairs, turns out I did not need the work. They have about 50 to 60% left in the fronts and close to 50% in the rear. Brakes are for a delivery truck and I do almost nothing but highway. Looks like rotors and pads run about $460 if you can order and about $850 if you can get then locally. Rebuilt calipers can be gotten for about $400 for all four. An honest shop would have charged $1600 to $2000 for the work. Calipers and rotors had rust from sitting around but functioned fine. I am retired from the automotive industry with about 40 years experience. I don't know much about big truck or RVs but am learning. I will try to post the brake experience when I do get to it. Next project is to get my new steps to come back in and maybe replacing my hot water heater with a tankless.

Tags
brakes