Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

Need Engine ID Help

Hello all, I am new to the Forum and New to Monaco motorhomes, I need some help. I am looking to purchase a 2000 Monaco Diplomat mod 38A. I have not seen the Motorhome in person yet but I have seen many photos. The unit is being sold by the relatives of the original owner. It looks very good but I am concerned about the actual engine that is in it. I was told it is a 315hp Cummins, the photo shows a top view of the engine and on the valve cover is a Cummins Logo with 24 valves on the second line . The cover itself has 4 notches or scallops on the bottom below the 24 valve stamp.Is this the ISB or the ISC engine. It is a long distance to see and I would rather be sure before I travel.
thanks
Barrier
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
That is a Cummins ISC 315 hp engine. Good engine and should have plenty of power for that coach. Drove one just like that across the county several years ago and that engine preformed great. You will need to make sure to keep the coolant system balanced with the correct additive required by Cummins. Check it twice a year. That engine may also have a coolant filter on the same side as the oil filter. If it does, there will be a valve at the top that you turn 90 degrees to cut off the water flow when changing the filter, and make sure it is turned back on. Change coolant filter at each oil change.

The ISC is also an electronic engine and the coach should have an Allison 3000 transmission.

I have the same engine with 330 hp in my current coach.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #3

Thank you REX that does ease my mind.
Now to make the choice... 2000 Diplomat-2001 Dynasty, both with different issues.
Barrier
Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well the Dynasty would be the better choice assuming both look about the same as far as condition. Price would be higher, but it is a better coach, and heavier also and will drive better. Some 2000 diplomats came with 255 size tires and they were to small for the weight. Also check the DOT date code on tires for both coaches. If 5 years old get ready to replace them soon.

If either coach has an LP generator - run. If the Dynasty has an Aqua-Hot system, know that it can be a problem to repair.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #5

Hello all,
Rex I am going for the '01 Dynasty. This is a 36' Model with 1 slide. It offers more and the price is close enough to the Diplomat (the Diplomat was a 2000 38A). The Dynasty has the 350 ISC engine with many bells and whistles most I really don't need but they might be fun as long as they continue to work.
I look forward to asking many more questions and hopefully receiving answers.
Barrier