Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Need help troubleshooting headlight and running light problem.

Hello,
I'm having some strange problems with the turn signal lights, running lights and camera system with the headlights turned on. With the headlights turned off all turn signal lights, running lights except one and the camera work correctly.
When I turn on the headlights the left turn signal indicator lights steady without activating the turn signal. When I activate the lever to make a left turn there is no flashing of the blinker on the dash nor are the lights blinking outside at the actual front and back left turn signal lights. Also the camera system stays locked onto the left side camera view. Additionally the running lights on the left side do not work, but again only when I have the headlights turned on.
I've checked all the fuses and looked at some relays in the front fuse panel located in the driver side front compartment. I didn't find any blown fuses. I don't know how to determine if a relay is bad but my thinking is if the lights all work correctly(except one running light) with headlights turned off then the fuses must be okay.
I did replace the light switch about a month ago but didn't start having this problem until the morning after I drove through a extended rain in South Louisiana and East Texas this past week.
This one has me perplexed and other then replacing the switch I just replaced has left me wondering what next. Feel I can only drive safely in daylight when I don't need to activate the headlights.
If anyone has some ideas I would appreciate your response.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #2

Your dash indicator is on the same feed as the front signal bulb , and two things are possible , bad bulb or bad ground in the front on that side .

Cross power feed that would light up the indicator, from the park lights , would also feed signal flasher's power into the whole park light system ; a load the flasher can't handle.

Try a new front bulb as your next step.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your dash indicator is on the same feed as the front signal bulb , and two things are possible , bad bulb or bad ground in the front on that side .

Cross power feed that would light up the indicator, from the park lights , would also feed signal flasher's power into the whole park light system ; a load the flasher can't handle.

Try a new front bulb as your next step.
Skip426,
Okay that was a fast response. I have some replacement bulbs if they are the same as fit the back lights. If not I will take the left front turnbulb out and get a replacement. I'm thinking since the bulb does work with headlights off then I may be looking at a bad ground. Thanks for your reply. Its a start.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue; check all your lights. One of my marker/turn lights (just in front of the rear wheel) was burnt out.
rschreifels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreifels View Post
I had the same issue; check all your lights. One of my marker/turn lights (just in front of the rear wheel) was burnt out.
rschreifels,

That is the exact bulb that doesn't light when I turn on the headlight/running lights. I pray that is my problem. I will be going to storage yard to change out that bulb.
Sure don't want to drive back across country limited to daylight hours and hopefully no rain.
I will post back if I get it fixed. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

Okay, I replaced the running light on drivers side just in front of rear wheel. Thought it might be an easy fix. It wasn't lighting under any condition so thought it might be bad. unfortunately that didn't fix problem. Those little c194 lights are expensive dudes(6.50 for a 2 pack) at autozone.
I will now progress to looking for a bad ground up front on drivers side as Skip426 suggested.
If anyone has any other suggestions on troubleshooting this I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

I had a someone similiar issue on my 05 Executive. After hours looking over the wiring diagrams, testing and more testing, etc., I found a bad ground on the small harness that splits out to the headlight, fog lights and running lights.

Mine had an inline barrel type crimp connector bringing on the grounds together. It was not a good crimp. Fixed it and everything worked with the lights, turn signals and camera feeds.

The connector was about half way up the 3-4' long harness. I pulled off the split loom to expose all thew wires.

Good luck.
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If it's like the one on our 2005 Cayman, you just pry one end out. You can get a LED replacement on Amazon .

To reinstall, I just hinged one end in and gave it a good hit with my palm.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, my post above was in reference to the mirror marker light.

Tags
light, need help