Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need Help with 2004 Dynasty City Water

We have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty 40 ft.

I turned the 1/4 lever to fill the freshwater tank. The water was turned on at the park spigot. When I turned it back to city water I have zero water pressure. Turned the lever several times, turned off the park water, still nothing. Works fine with water pump.

Everything was working perfectly until I turned that lever.

Thought it might be the regulator so I removed it. I found a spring and a white plastic ring. I stuck my finger up and felt a round stem. It appears to be a check valve that has been pushed up.

Is there a check valve in the water inlet that could have pushed up blocking the inlet? It has 2 screws on the bottom or the panel where the regulator screws in. Have not removed them as I am trying to find out if I would be getting into a real mess first.

Of course the whole thing is behind the plastic cover without any easy access to the area. Removing the plastic cover appears to require removing the bay door for access. Is it possible to repair or replace this semi- easily without removing the bay door to access it?
Thanks in advance.

Scott
iahsatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've had an inline regulator fail closed in the past, a new regulator fixed the problem.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahsatcs View Post
We have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty 40 ft.

Of course the whole thing is behind the plastic cover without any easy access to the area. Removing the plastic cover appears to require removing the bay door for access. Is it possible to repair or replace this semi- easily without removing the bay door to access it?
Thanks in advance.

Scott

Mine is a bit older HR and my regulator failed as well. I had no desire to tear all that apart to fix it so I took to the dealer. They had it fixed in 30 minutes. There was a piece on the bottom of the valve where the water supply hose attaches they replaced. I can't say yours would be the same as mine but I would examine yours to see if the regulator can be removed which sounds like it can from you description.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #4

Scott, as far as I know there is no factory installed regulator on the incoming water line on the Dynasty. Now somebody may have added one. I do have a small inline device that the hose attaches to which sits on top of the hose reel that is a one way check valve. This stops your onboard pump from pumping water back out of your hose. On my system which should be similar to yours I have a lever on a ball valve that in one position routes the city water into filling the tank and in the other position lets city water directly into the mh water system. That one way check valve costs about $12 at an RV parts store.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Scott, as far as I know there is no factory installed regulator on the incoming water line on the Dynasty. Now somebody may have added one. I do have a small inline device that the hose attaches to which sits on top of the hose reel that is a one way check valve. This stops your onboard pump from pumping water back out of your hose. On my system which should be similar to yours I have a lever on a ball valve that in one position routes the city water into filling the tank and in the other position lets city water directly into the mh water system. That one way check valve costs about $12 at an RV parts store.

Mike, now that you are saying that about the check valve I remember that is what went bad. Man it is hell getting old! Memory just isn't what it used to be!! 😼 Sorry about my mistake.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not a regulator issue

Thank you all for your replies so far.

This is NOT a regulator issue.

I thought that it might be so I removed the regulator and when I did there was a spring and a small white plastic retainer on inside the male end of the regulator.

I attached a photo. Hope it works.

It appears to be the spring and retainer from the water inlet check valve. I think it is blowing upward unrestricted and blocking the incoming flow from the city water inlet.

I attached another photo of the inlet area showing how the lever is placed, where the water inlet is located and the hose attached.

This inlet is behind the panel that it appears you have to remove the bay door to easily access the area.

The last photo shows the inlet area with the two retaining screws I mentioned. This is the area the spring and white retainer were located.

I am trying to figure out how to fix this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

I attached another photo of the inlet area with every
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Yes, that is an aftermarket regulator. They make two types of these. One that gives you around 45 psi and one that is up at 55 psi and is High Flow. You really have to check carefully what you are buying. The high flow is a Valterra A01-1122VP. This one really makes a big difference. You can hook the hose up without that inline a try it and see if it fixes the problem. Don't know what the pressure is coming out of the faucet so for safety have the mh outside faucets turned out when you bypass it and see what happens.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I actually have the Valterra regulator that you mentioned. and it did make a big difference. The issue is the spring and retainer that I have pictured. I have tried all three regulators that I have.

I need to know how to access and fix the check valve.

I think that it other side of it is being pushed up unrestricted because the retainer came off and blocking the water inlet.

Scott
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Scott by the photos your setup is too different from mine for me to advise you on how to get inside. When you turn the lever to tank fill can you hear it switch?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The Valterra regulator that you mentioned is shown installed on the second picture.

When I have City water connected it makes no difference what I do with the lever. It will not fill the tank nor will it provide water to any faucet.

It works fine on the water pump.

The check valve also appears to be referred to as a back flow preventer.

It appears as though the retainer came off of the valve and is allowing the valve to go up unrestricted and block the water flow. When I turn the water pump on without city water it pushes the valve back down preventing any back flow and works normally. But I still can't access the end of the valve to re-install the spring and retainer.

It would appears as though the valve is limited in its upward travel by the white retainer allowing the water to flow around the valve and into the motorhome or the tank depending on the selector valve position.

Hope this helps.

Scott
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #11

Let's see if we are talking the same. So you are saying the Valterra Water Regulator came apart and a piece has gone up into the plumbing and is probably stuck in the back flow preventer/one way check valve which is preventing water flow to that lever ball valve. That sounds logical. So now the big question is how do you get into that box and get to the back flow preventer valve? My suggestion would be to call Monaco tech line and ask them (877) 466-6226.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #12

This what I think you need to replace. Mine failed the other way and let water out when using the onboard tank and pump. I cannot help you get to a point where you can replace it but on my dynasty the cover was just attached with four screws. Part number is Valterra A01-0170LFVP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61oxBw8BHRL__SL1173_.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	84694  
Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

I guess I am not explaining well enough.

This is NOT a regulator issue. I have tried three different regulators. The only way the regulator cones into play is that this was above the regulator and the spring and retainer were in the dished portion of the regulator. The regulator did not come apart.

I am not an artist but I tried to draw out what I believe is happening.

If things are working correctly the water pressure pushed the check valve/backflow preventer away from the seat allowing water to flow around the valve to the ball valve. If you remove the hose and turn on the pump it pressurizes the system forcing the valve down preventing backflow and pressurizing the system.

Without the spring and retainer the water pressure pushes the valve up and blocks the plumbing.

I know you are a racer. Picture an intake valve broke the retainer and fell partially into the cylinder. Obviously no piston involved and the valve moves up but the issue is the same.

Scott

W
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	84699  
Old 01-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
98Dynasty,

Not the same system but the same issue. I need to figure out how to access the open brass which has the valve in it. The way it is looking is that I will have to remove the wet bay swing up door to remove the panel to access the plumbing. I was trying to find out if it can be done without becoming a major project.

All of this is located above the inlet in my third picture bit it is all covered by the plastic panel.

Scott

Tags
need help, water