Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so if I do go out on I-5 today..are you saying I should have my Exh. Brake on the whole time I am out on the roads? ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Definitely.. The E-brake will help the coach stop. It will also help you become used to how the brakes work.. (while coming down from speed) I always use it when in any kind of traffic condition and also while in any hills.

Hmmmmm, no class today MM??
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not suggesting that. Far be it from me to interfer with your driving lesson.

Just keep in mind this afternoon, that no matter how much your instincts may tell you otherwise, its... Drive first, THEN enjoy the Margarittas.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">this is Wednesday...which means 2PM Margarita hour in the customer lounge! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No wonder you're spending so much time at Camp Monaco. I think you have surpassed the number of days I've spent there now.. I'm going to have to call your boss and have your days off switched!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No wonder you're spending so much time at Camp Monaco. I think you have surpassed the number of days I've spent there now.. I'm going to have to call your boss and have your days off switched!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK...
Driving class is on TUESDAYS...Margaritas on WEDNESDAYS.. although they should be on Tuesday afternoons(after driving class!!)
Willard is in Weed ..on his way to Red Bluff... so no freeway time till next Tuesday... yes..I have switched days off... starting next week...

MM
(Sacs...did you get that email ok?)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bottom line is, if the cruise control and Exhaust Brake now work together, as you and Drifter just said, then all the BS would add is the ability to "coast". Not sure that's worth the trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rob,
It would not be worth the trouble. You can also use a slightly depressed throttle to coast without engaging the exh brake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Another change for 07 is that we now no longer have an Allison VIM, but in place of that we have a much more sophisticated transmission interface module. (That's the large box, with the heat sink, just inside the front electrical bay on the right side wall.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our '05 also has a large aluminum box with a heatsink cover. There is also a connector on the top edge. Is this what you are talking about? It does not have a name, just some numbers. I thought it was the ABS but the ABS has a test switch on it.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mark,

That box is the Allison "TCM" (Transmission Control Module). I think that may be the "4th Generation Electonics" name for what they used to call the ECU. Until recently there was also a VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) which took certain selected outputs and inputs from the TCM and further split them out for specific chassis circuits. You have both on your coach. Effective with 2007 model years, I've been told that Allison has made the TCM much more "flexible" allowing for an increased number of contol interfaces therefore essentially eliminating the need for the VIM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Robin_M, I just had to chime in here a bit. I drive an O1 Diplomat with the Exhaust Brake switch ON all the time. I am able to use Cruise at the same time. Once Cruise is engaged, the Exhaust Brake does not come on until I cancel Cruise, or tap the brake to disengage Cruise.

Guess this will just add to the confusion.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Rex,

I think due to the potential for various models and model years to be configured and programed differently, there's probably a lot of variation, as well as confusion.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Went out and took a test run today with the coach. I confirmed that the 2007 coaches work just like Drifter's 08 coach. When the cruise contol is on and set, the exhuast brake can be on and ready. When you tap the brake quickly, the cruise control disengages. If you hold the brake pedal just a half second longer, the exhaust brake engages, and the transmission starts to seek 2nd. Then lift your foot from the brake pedal, and the exhaust brake stays engaged until you touch the throttle.

I also confirmed that there is no source of brake lamp signal in the front of the 2007 coach that is hot when only the exhuast brake is engaged, and the service brake is not. (In model year 2007 and later, for coaches on the RR chassis, the brake lights on the back of the coach are activated by the exhaust brake relay, which was moved back to the rear electrical bay. When you touch the service brake pedal, the brake lamp signal from the front ofthe coach activates a brake light relay in the rear. There is no part of these two brake lamp circuits that are common.)

So, the bottom line on the BrakeSwitch for 2007 and later RR coaches, is that the only additional functionality it gives you is the ability to "coast" (which you can also do by feathering the throttle just enough to keep the exhaust brake off). In addition, it would be impractical to install on 2007 and later RR coaches due to the absense of voltage in the service brake lamp cirucit, while the exhust brake is on, when the brake pedal is not depressed.

I would imagine that what I've just stated here applies to all Monaco coaches on the raised rail chassis in model years 2007 and later. However I can only speak first hand about the Diplomat/Endeavor.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Robin,
Thanks for all the info, you did a lot of work on this matter saving us a lot time. One thing that you said was that when the Exhaust brake is on under deceleration that the brake lights are not. Do I have this right?

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One thing that you said was that when the Exhaust brake is on under deceleration that the brake lights are not. Do I have this right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Drifter,

No, that's NOT correct. The brake lights at the back of the coach should come on whether you are using the exhaust brake or the service brake. What I said (or was trying to say) was... In model years 2007 and later, the current that turns on the brake lights, when you are using the exhuast brake only, comes from the exhaust brake solenoid power source in the rear electrical compartment, and is no longer present in the front of the coach. This is NOT true for 2006 and before where all the circuits involved are in the front run bay. (The reason that matters is that if you are trying to install the BrakeSwitch, you need that source of power to make it work.)

Thanks for bringing that question up. It can be confusing and I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Robin,
Sorry, I guess I meant do the rear brake lights come on when you are decelerating only with the exhaust brake?

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sacs said<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
and I think now that "Mama" needs one... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...well Drifter...It looks like Sacs was right after interpreting Robin's posts...(Just kidding, Dear!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry, I guess I meant do the rear brake lights come on when you are decelerating only with the exhaust brake? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Drifter,
Yes, unless you have had it re-programmed, they do come on.