Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
John, The shocks were on rig when we got it. They feel a bit light. Probably should be replaced but arre such an improvement hat that'll wait for awhile.

Mine's made in 88 and registered in 89. 5.9 Cummins with turbo. No HP rating anywhere. Whilst looking for master cylinder was informed that when Navistar bought Monaco they lost/destroyed all old archives so you VIN won't help much in part searches.

The jacks are OK after you figure them out. Lotsa turning and twisting but they do the job. Better than scissors! The tripod system ain't the best but it's a strong frame and works.

I'm told it's an Allison C-4 trany. Not overly strong so take it kinda easy on it. Start down the hill in the gear you want to be in rather than shifting down at speed. My trans oil stays clean and level hasn't dropped at all. Temp. ranges from running at 180 to hill climbing on hot day 220-225.

I have the Gear Vender too. Tried split shifting with it when first got rig. Now just use it as over-drive. Drops RPM 4-500. and really lets her roll. Approaching a grade I just step on "dimmer switch" and that knocks it down a half gear. Don't touch it again till your rolling again and then hit it again to put it in O/D. You'll figure it out. A good gizmo!

It all takes time, but it's worth it!

Bob

PS Where are you at?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #16

Bob... Sounds like our rigs are pretty much the same set-up. As to the horsepower rating, you need to crawl up under the right rear side, underneath the rear furnace box, and with a bright light you should be able to see the Cummins dataplate on the side of the motor. It's located just below the oil fill location on the right side of the motor when viewed from the back end. I'd add a photo but I can't seem to figure out how to do that!

On to the shock absorbers. I had an interesting talk with the Monaco parts department guy this afternoon down in Oregon, and he was able to use an 'older' computer with an old version of 'DOS' and came up with a couple of original part numbers for our '88 units. The original OEM shocks were made by 'NEWAY' and they're apparently still in business. The front shocks have a part number of 90044794 and the rear shocks are 90044769.

While you will find those numbers with a Google search, I never could find a source where to buy them, and calls to NAPA and a couple of other local shops didn't net me any results. I finally ended up going thru a couple of other searches to cross-reference the OEM numbers and came up with numbers to both Gabriel and Monroe, however, I'm still not for sure if these cross-reference number are correct or not.

The FRONT shocks cross-reference to Gabriel FleetLine, #83127 which also cross-references to Monroe #66633. Gabriel specs these with extended length of 20.12 inches, compressd length of 13.13 inches and a 6.99" stroke. The rebound rating is 940-lbs and a compression rating of 218-lbs. The only place I could find Gabriel shocks was Autozone and they have to special order them with a 4-day delivery and priced at $41.99.

On the Monroe 66633, the specs are an extended length of 20.75 inches, a compressed length of 13.75 inches and a 7.00" stroke. The rebound rating is 812 lbs. The eyelet at each end is coded as 'LS54' which looks to be 3/4"... which seems too big, as I recall the bushing size is between 1/2" and 9/16", so again, I'm not sure.

I also spoke to parts gal at a National Auto Parts store and she cautioned me on cross-referencing numbers. She seemed to think that the closest match was a Monroe #65143 that has an extended length of 20.25 inches, compressed length of 13.25 inches, and a stroke of 7 inches. This one shows a 5/8" bushing size in the eyelet ends and has a rebound rating of 708 lbs. There are two additional numbers in this series, one with #65144 with a rebound rating of 882 lbs, and a #65145 with a rebound rating of 1270 lbs. All the rest of the specs read the same. I was quoted $108 apiece for the #65143 on special order... and $62 apiece for the #66633, also a special order item.

The trouble with all of these is that nobody has them in stock, so you can't pull one off the shelf and maybe even take it and see if it'll fit. Autozone told me they'd refund the purchase if they special ordered the Gabriel's and they didn't fit... but that might be a sales gimmick just to get the sale. Who knows!

Sounds from the description of the shocks yours has that the reason it seems tight is because the length is maybe too short and isn't giving enough stroke travel, or the rebound weight is incorrect for the weight of the coach, especially since you indicated the lower shock-pins were missing.

Well, that's the newest from here. I guess yours has Alcoa alum rims too, 22.5's? Oh, we're out in the Pacific NW, Seattle area.

John
SKYMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Oil Filler

Here's a good one for you.

The only oil filler on my engine is at the rear on the top! No side filler! I have to use a mickey moused funnel turned on it's side to pour a quart of oil in. Home oil changes are out of the question. What a mess! Good thing it doesn't burn any oil.

I'll have to look for the Cummins tag, thanks for that.

Bob
Old 12-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
John and Bob:

I just purchased a 1989 Crown Royale 36. I don't know anything much about it. It was one of those things. I must say I'm dismayed to read that the 4 speed MT-647 and 2 speed Eaton rear end are no-nos. I don't know how similar the 1988 and 1989 are. I have the 6CTA 8.3, but haven't checked the plate yet for specifics. I gues there aren't many of these around, but I'd sure like to swap notes with someone.

Roland
1989 Crown Royale 36
wrhjr3 is offline   Reply With Quote