Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Need Radiator

Well.......I thought I would escape the dreaded radiator curse...but mine started leaking in the upper corner. It may have been leaking for a long time because it only leaks a few drops each time I drive it. Not enough to drip more than 3"-4" down the side of the tank ove the last few months.

I spotted it while on our current trip to the Oregon coast. As long as I was in Oregon, I called Source Engineering to check on an aluminum replacement. They told me they didn't make an aluminum radiator for my model and they would have to make a custom one out of copper and brass. They use J&B radiator in Sacramento for their radiators and J&B doesn't sell to the public. They wanted close to $3500.00 with 30% off for an aluminum one. I was afraid to ask how much for a custom one.

I called Northwest RV Supply and they have some in stock, but not my particular model number. I'm thinking these things can't be that much different from one Monaco to another Monaco. When I get home I'm going to get some exact measurements and see if what they have is similar. I could work around hose placement.

Looking for suggestions on what others might have done. I figure I'll probably have to have a copper/brass one made. There should be some truck shops around the Los Angles area that is capable of of making one. The funny thing is......it's not that big of a radiator.....about 36" x 18" x 4" thick.

Anyone know of an online company or So. Calif company that might make custom aluminum? Any other ideas?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don you might try these:

Mac's Radiator Repair
6147 SE Foster Rd
Portland OR 97206
800-835-3456
Store Locations

Radiator Supply House
4432 Hwy 20
Sweet Home, OR 97386
877-615-3002
Radiator Supply House of Sweet Home, Oregon - Radiators, Coolers, Condensers

These are the only one other than JB Radiator. JB is the original maker of the problem radiators.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Rex......I'm adding all of these to my favorites and will spend next week calling.

I was getting ready to replace the fan belt, but I didn't think i would be pulling the radiator to do it.

Also thinking about adding the Horton fan, but really haven't heard anyone rave about it one way or the other.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don I think your radiator was made by Modine and is their X-6942-50. You can search their site and hopefully come up with some useful information. They build all sorts of HVAC systems and many other items.

http://www.modine.com/v2portal/modine.portal

You man have to call them for the correct info. Also ask them about their X6940 Core/Tank Assy (Radiator, Tank Replacement)

Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rex....You're right on the money. That's the model# listed on my build sheet. I will call them and see what direction they can give me.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #6

Don

Instead of buying a new radiator can't you just have the original radiator flushed out and have the leak fixed at your local radiator shop ? Or am I missing somthing?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don, check out item 130336463929 on eBay. This one is aluminum and built by Modine. The seller has his address and phone number on the page if you need to talk to him about it. The model numbers he shows is the Monaco part number for your radiator.

The one shown on eBay has a CAC, Radiator and frame. You would want to verify what he is selling is the whole package.

He is a nice guy to deal with and may offer a lower price. He can ship anywhere but must be by truck.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #8

What Monaco models and years have the radiator problem. I'm taking delivery of a 2006 Knight this week. Is this a problem one?
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Hedgehog, those were aluminum with the trans cooler which caused the problem. I think the years were some late 2001 to 2004 and not all models. The trans cooler would leak causing antifreeze and trans fluid to mix. Ruined the transmission on some coaches.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It was mainly some of the 01 and the 02's that had a problem with the radiator trans cooler parting in the coolant tank and after the engine was shut off the pressure from the coolant system would force coolant into the trans and when run destroy the trans, the fix was a separate trans cooler added to the setup. What Don is going through is a failure that can happen to any of us at any time its just that the alum radiators seam to fail more than the old style.
The 06 Knight is a good coach in my opinion, just check it out real good before you sign the paper work.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Don,

These people might be able to help...just a thought.

Home Page
Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Don,
I just saw Jim at Source Engineering last week at FMCA. He quoted me $2431 for a new steel/copper rad for my 2001 Knight. 541.935.0308

Also met Will at Radiator Supply 877.615.3002 $2000 plus $100 to ship anywhere.

A friend just had it done, its a 4 man job. The new rad is 150 lbs heavier than the aluminum one.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bobs911.....Thanks for the info.......I think I'm going to owe Rex the alcohol of his choice. I bought a brand new assembly from Johnson's Surplus off of Ebay (Rex turned me onto the Ebay site). Johnson's bought out about 10 or 20 complete assemblies from Monaco when they closed down the Indiana plant. He's shipping me this for $878.00 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=

I'm taking a chance that this is the same. All of the measurements are right on the money. It includes the CAC, fan shroud and frame.

I figure for $900.00, if this radiator lasts me another 5 years I'll be happy. I intend to use silicone hoses and ground the radiator to see if I can make it last longer. The CAC was just a bonus.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Don that should be an exact replacement for you. Same part number. Let us know when you get it and what problem you have with installing it. Are you planning on doing the job yourself? Please post some pictures as you go. Would be a good idea to take a picture of your engine so you know how the belts are fitted in case you ever need to replace them, or just replace them when the radiator is out.