RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Neg buss bar?????

I have a 2008 Monaco Cayman and I'm trying to connect my Battery Monitoring Kit from Magnum. Right now it only measures things from the point of the inverter/charger (MS2012). Tech support at magnum tell me that I need to run a jumper from "your B- bus bar to the load side of the shunt. Makes sense to me, BUT here is the rub: What is a "B-" bus bar. BETTER YET, does anyone that has this coach know where in the hell I would find this neg bus bar? The is a section in the rear passenger side bay that house the inverter- a plastic shroud that is tied to the top of and front side of the bay that houses lots of wire coming in from under the rear of the coach. I'm guessing it might be here but need to know before I tackle takinng this big old thing off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_153525.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	261154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_153538.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	261155  

Name:	20190922_153551.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	261156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_153602.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	261157  

Rfriebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

You may not have a negetive bus bar.

All negetive cables from the chassis, solar, inverter and house load needs to go on one side of the shunt.

The other side of the shunt goes back to the negetive battery posts.

Take a few pictures of your battery cable connections and post it here.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #3

many times there are multiple cables connected to the negative battery terminal. these can go to many different devices. to use the shunt you have to ensure that ALL power to and from the battery goes through the shunt. to do this you remove all the existing cables from the battery negative terminal and install a single (properly sized) cable between the battery negative terminal to the battery side of the shunt. the take all the cables you removed from the negative battery terminal and connect them to the load side of the shunt. this will ensure that any power going to and from the battery will pass through the shunt where it will be measured.

now, you may or may not be able to fit all those cables onto the load side of the shunt. if it is not possible many people install a bus bar and connect all those cables to the bus bar. it is basically a metal bar with room for multiple cable connections. they then run one cable from the load side of the shunt to the buss bar and from there it flows out the individual cables to the various devices. if can be used to clean up messy wiring. a bus bar can also be used even without the shunt. same concept, terminate all the individual cables on the bus bar and run cable from bus bar to battery negative terminal. if you have multiple wires going to the negative battery terminals you probably do not have a bus bar installed.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

Typically the shunt is installed on the negative side of the battery. That means one end of the shunt goes to the negative terminal of the battery and the other goes to the grounding point the negative battery lead is normally attached to and this could be called the negative buss bar (which really is the frame).

If you have two batteries then the negatives tie together then one lead goes to the shunt. They may labeled load and battery. The frame will be the load and the battery will be the negative terminal.

They should have provided a good description and a diagram.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
sorry for the delay

Been out of it for a few days but finally got back to the search for the mystery negative buss bar. Well,,,,,,,,,so,,,,,,I just can't find anything.

I have posted a couple of pictures that are actually my drawings of what I can see. Hope these help
My best guess is the negative cable that runs through to the chassis where shown on the 6volt snip image. However, I can't get in there to see where it terminates.

I'm hoping someone may have a similar configuration and may have dealt with this before.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Peace,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snip 6 volt.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	264266   Click image for larger version

Name:	snip 12 volt.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	264267  

Old 10-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

I don't think the pictures work, not saying they are wrong though.

Don't get stuck on the word "bus bar" because it may not be so apparent.

Lets make this more simple. Mount the shunt very close to the battery on the compartment side wall. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery and attach it to the load side of the shunt.

Now using a new battery jumper of equal gauge as the others attach from the negative battery to the other terminal on the shunt and that's it.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks much for the help. I will trace it out on my drawings and run it past the inverter folks and go from there. I really appreciate the input.

BTW: if you do see something wrong with my drawings, PLEASE let me know as I want to make them as accurate as possible.

Peace,

Ray
Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You can't find it, because you probably don't have one. I installed the Magnum BMK and I had 3 negative load leads on my system: 1 for the battery to the chassis, 1 for the inverter to the battery and 1 for the solar charge controller to the battery.

I ganged all three on the BMK Load Side but it was a difficult connection because it was so thick. So, I bought a Bus Bar on Amazon with 4-posts. I used one post each for the three neg loads listed above and then connected the 4th post to the neg load post on the BMK.

This works great, is cheap and easy to install. Is much more organized and covers all of my loads for the BMK to monitor.

Here's an image of someone eles's bus bar bmk setup - but it's just like mine (the bus bar is the 4-post bar on the left - the BMK on the right):

Old 10-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
One quick question on your easy solution; Are you saying that I continue to run a negative from my battery bank to the non-load side of the shunt and then to basically Jumper the shut with a cable of equal size from the non-load to the load side?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
what do you have on the non-load side? Please.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebert View Post
what do you have on the non-load side? Please.
The neg output of the battery bank.

You take the loads - 3 in my example and the photo - and take them from the battery and run them to the Bus Bar. Then yes, you jumper from the bus bar to the load side of the Shunt. Then you run the "non-load" side of the shunt to the final negative post of the battery bank.

All of the chassis, inverter, etc neg load cables that used to run to the battery directly now run to the bus bar and that bus bar is jumpered to the load side of the shunt.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
let me make sure I have this right

a.) Would the following work:
1. Take the negative that goes from the neg post circled in yellow and terminate it on the load side
2. Leave a negative from the battery to the non-load side of the shunt as is.
b.) I am going to buy a neg buss bar to eliminate all the connections on the shunt, BUT would the rewiring of the of the chassis neg to the load side (via this new buss bar) get what Iím trying to accomplish to get all 12 volt house loads to the shunt

Picture is attached for reference. Highlights in yellow show the chassis ground that I'm thinking of moving to the load side of the shunt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	house battery schematic.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	264421  
Old 10-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. So, I'll just respond that ALL load side negatives must be connected to the load side of the Shunt. You can't just attach one neg connection to the shunt and leave other negatives attached to the battery directly. The BMK can't work unless it sees all power entering and leaving the batteries.

You don't need a buss bar if you can fit every single negative load connection to the load side of the shunt. If you can't easily do that - as in there is not enough room on the post - then a buss bar just gives you more places to attach multiple neg load connections. That's all it does.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Let's try to simplify this.
Disconnect your main negative battery cable from the house batteries and connect it to the shunt.
Now install a new battery cable and connect it from the opposite end of the shunt to the neg battery terminal.
In essence, all house grounds must go through the shunt to get to the battery.
Hope this helps!

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote