Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Neptune diesel fuel gauge problem

Just turned 100,000 miles and my 2003 Neptune rewarded me with a fuel gauge problem. I get a partial reading, i.e 1/3 full just after a complete fill up. Once in a while the reading jumps up a bit. I have no idea how the fuel level sensor actually works. Could it be a "float" issue? Wiring problem? Given the tank location, I can't even understand how you reach it to repair the problem. Any insight would be really appreciated.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

Luckily I haven't had a fuel gauge problem (knock on wood) on my 07 Neptune. I have heard though that the ground is very important on the Centroid fuel unit. Also have heard that Centroid is very good at helping diagnose a problem. I would check the ground and make sure it's good and clean. Then if still not reading correctly, give Centroid a buzz to get their thoughts.

As far as access, you could cut a decent size hole from storage compartment to give access to fuel tank. You can then use the cut out piece to make a patch to cover your new access hole. If yours is like mine, all the fuel lines and sender are on drivers side of fuel tank.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #3

I have a less severe issue with erratic readings. I got good information from Centroid about improving the ground, but yours sounds more like a bad sender. It is electronic not a float. ReplacementS are around $100. You may be able to use a true universal float but I haven't tried that as yet.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #4

Thanks to both for your responses. I found some added info after searching previous threads. I think I have a removable "port hole" in the floor of my storage bay over the fuel tank. Going to see if that gives me access to the sensor. Will also check the ground.
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #5

The fuel gauge on my 2007 Holiday Rambler Neptune XL rarely shows full even after I top the tank off. It also drops significantly when I turn the lights on. Someone said it may have a bad ground but where would I look for that "bad ground?" Would it be behind the dash board, sending unit, somewhere else?
SafetyFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
The fuel gauge on my 2007 Holiday Rambler Neptune XL rarely shows full even after I top the tank off. It also drops significantly when I turn the lights on. Someone said it may have a bad ground but where would I look for that "bad ground?" Would it be behind the dash board, sending unit, somewhere else?
I also have an 07 HR Neptune XL that I purchased new. Way back when probably 8 years ago I had an issue with my gauges. I could be riding along and all the gauges would just drop to the bottom like you cut the switch off and then restart back to normal. This would ocassionally happen and started getting more frequent. Then after awhile the speedometer started registering faster than should be. Sometimes by restarting the engine it would go back to normal and other times the gauges were just wonky.

I read here on IRV2 that some folks had issues with the grounds at the dash. I removed mine to have a look. What I found was all the grounds were daisy chained along. The wires are labeled so you can tell what is what. I figured by the chaining of grounds that meant a weak ground would make all the gauges go crazy. I spent a little time trying to chase the ground down with little success. I decided then to just splice in a new 10ga ground line down to the firewall. That seems to have cured my issue with the sporadic gauges, however the factory gauges are known to be off in accuracy.

If you're other gauges are working correctly this may not be your issue with the fuel gauge. I've read others had to ground the Centroid fuel gauge unit on top of the tank. Some say that solved their issue while others had to replace the sender. "Knock on wood" I haven't had an issue with my fuel gauge so I can't help you much there. There have been many posts on here about fuel gauge problems. Hope this helps you.

Chad
Old 04-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler fuel guage

I have looked for a ground behind the dash but with the rats nest of wires back there, which one is a ground. Where would I attach a second ground if I was so inclined? I haven't looked for anything about the sending unit on the diesel tank. Other than the odometer occasionally showing all 8's, the rest of the gauges have not given any problems. I figured out how to get the odometer working by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Thanks for your help, drive safe.
SafetyFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
I have looked for a ground behind the dash but with the rats nest of wires back there, which one is a ground. Where would I attach a second ground if I was so inclined? I haven't looked for anything about the sending unit on the diesel tank. Other than the odometer occasionally showing all 8's, the rest of the gauges have not given any problems. I figured out how to get the odometer working by unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Thanks for your help, drive safe.
SafetyFirst, read the very fine writing printed on the wire. You may need a magnifying glass to read it. IIRC mine just say ground or whatever gauge it went to. Also, the grounds are all daisy chained and go to multiple gauges. HTH

Chad
Old 04-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #9

I have the same problem with the odometer going "blank" after a while. Sometimes it will come back after a few kilometers and sometimes it doesn't. It always comes back when I restart the coach.

My fuel guage also seems a bit "off" and will fluctuate quite a bit while we're going down the road. But I never let it get below a quarter tank so I'm not to worried about it.

I've looked behind the dash.

But just never had the time to figure out where all that goes or which is the ground.

I've been thinking more and more that I'd really like to add some kind of digital engine monitor system so I know the exact temperatures so I;m not relying on the its in the middleish range" style stock guages.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #10

If your on your computer search Centroid "search doesn't work right on my Android phone" IDK the year the went to capacitance type but those can get fouled by bio film in tank. I think the ground / connection problems are usually at sensors. Off top of my head most sensors are replaced for less than $200 shipped. Also if I remember Centroid website has a troubleshooting info , calibration and how to measure to make an order.
Mine is on to do list but with 200 gal tank other fixes in front of it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:13 AM   #11

Neptune diesel fuel gauge problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint Racer View Post
I have the same problem with the odometer going "blank" after a while. Sometimes it will come back after a few kilometers and sometimes it doesn't. It always comes back when I restart the coach.

My fuel guage also seems a bit "off" and will fluctuate quite a bit while we're going down the road. But I never let it get below a quarter tank so I'm not to worried about it.

I've looked behind the dash.

But just never had the time to figure out where all that goes or which is the ground.

I've been thinking more and more that I'd really like to add some kind of digital engine monitor system so I know the exact temperatures so I;m not relying on the its in the middleish range" style stock guages.

Generally speaking, the black wires should be ground. Red should be hot. You can verify by sticking a pin into a black wire, run it thru an ohm meter to a frame ground. If it shows continuity...zero....then the black wire is ground. You have a bunch of butt splices...I’d cut the zip ties and see if you have a bad butt splice from the fuel sending unit. Your white wires are labeled. When you have the zip ties loose, check for the white wire that goes to the fuel sending unit. That butt splice could be bad. It’s a start. If none of the above, Centroid will make you a new sending unit specifically for your tank depth.
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel