Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

Netflix at campground

At home we watch most of our movies and TV series on Netflix through our Blu-ray player and Wi-fi. Most of the campgrounds' internet service don't usually provide enough bandwidth to allow streaming on Netflix, etc. . However, the campground we're presently at does. So, I bought a Chromecast Internet streaming device to get Netflix but it doesn't work, since to access the park's internet service you need to get to their welcome web page and agree to their terms and conditions, which you cannot do with the device. The service doesn't allow communication between devices, i.e. I can't not operate my wireless printer for instance.

Does any body know a way around this?
LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You need your own network in your coach. There are several ways to do this, one of the easiest is this. Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble

Good luck.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You may also want to try Cradlepoint. Read down David's list of recommended products and find Cradlepoint. Recommended Items | Outside Our Bubble
Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by foretexas View Post
You need your own network in your coach. There are several ways to do this, one of the easiest is this. Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble

Good luck.
I've got one of those $100 connection devices, but haven't figured out how to get past the web page login for the campground. It works great at home and my daughter's house where all I need is the Network ID and a password, but at the campground, we needed to log into a webpage, pay with a credit card or paypal and agree to the terms by checking a box. The Ubiquiti Nanostation interface doesn't seem to let me do any of that.

Did I miss something somewhere?
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

Well, that's exactly what I can't seem to figure out: the signing in/''I agree'' part of the connection.
LCharron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCharron View Post
Well, that's exactly what I can't seem to figure out: the signing in/''I agree'' part of the connection.
What I'm probably going to do is wait for a couple of years until I'm in the coach more often then get a MIFI device. The Huntsville, AL school district has a program for $50/month through Verizon. It was mentioned on IRV2 a couple of months ago, last I looked it still appears to be available without limiting it to Huntsville residents. If one location has it, there must be others out there.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

The Huntsville program is done. Verizon pulled the plug on them!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
The Huntsville program is done. Verizon pulled the plug on them!
Sure hope there's another similar to it that shows up in the next couple years.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I can't remember how to get past the "I agree" page even though I know I have done this before. I sent David a message asking for help, hopefully he will post here and give us some direction.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #10

Hi All...

What you are referring to is called a "Captive Portal". It is part of the parks internet system that will not grant you access until you agree or put in a code or user name and a code they may have given you. (This is different than a Wi-Fi code when connecting to the access point.)

Dealing with "Agree" Pages: Some parks require you to "agree" or login with a user name and password before you have access. So once you connect to the park with the NanoStation, while on your Wi-Fi network, the first time you open your web browser the "captive portal" page will come up asking you to agree or log in. Once you do, the portal will note the MAC address of the NanoStation and then allow access to anything on your local Wi-Fi network.

NOTE: If your browser defaults to a open a webpage that is HTTPS (vs HTTP) then the captive portal can not show up as it is not HTTPS active. So be sure you are trying to go to a site that is not HTTPS. (Ie...Facebook, Google, GMail are all examples of HTTPS sites that people have their browsers default to.) So try another site...any site...maybe ours, and the captive portal page should come up for you.

Side Note: Some campgrounds auto log you out after X hours or at the start of a new day. If this is the case you need to AGREE again. Just a heads up.

Hope this helps.

RVingly Yours,
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
For the most part streaming protocols suck the life out of most campground WiFi's to the extent that it effectively lock out other users. I realize most people don't realize the problem they are causing. There are several ways to prevent bandwidth hogging such as quality of service (QOS) and blocking streaming websites but are seldom implemented at campgrounds. Just buy your own wireless solution as I do and leave the campground WiFi for those who just want to get email and surf the web.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
X2 what DtBt said (and well said).

In my opinion, it is similar to taking the entire prime rib (or all the ice cream, if you prefer) at the buffet - well within a person's "rights" but not considerate or kosher.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Although its a bit more cumbersome, I use the HDMI output on my HP 2 in 1 Windows 10 notebook as a work around. I hook it up to the TV, log into the Campground or hotel Internet service, open up Netflix, Hulu or whatever and use the computer to select the desired programing. I watch the programs in HD on the Vizio via an HDMI cable.

Bruce LaHargoue.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
For the most part streaming protocols suck the life out of most campground WiFi's to the extent that it effectively lock out other users. I realize most people don't realize the problem they are causing. There are several ways to prevent bandwidth hogging such as quality of service (QOS) and blocking streaming websites but are seldom implemented at campgrounds. Just buy your own wireless solution as I do and leave the campground WiFi for those who just want to get email and surf the web.
What you said X3 now......Folks need to remember what campground WiFi is for..............it ain't for movies......

Mike
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground