Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wink New 06' Executive Owners... Ride Home

Spent about 1 hour looking over the coach and proceeded with the purchase.

The seller was gracious and we had a fun time learning about our new coach.

Aqua-hot is low on is it Boiler fluid? and I forgot to ask how it works.

The Seller was not very handy and usually pays for everything to be done, which is fine. I am more detailed, and now the fun starts...

I did here some metallic noise going over bumps at low speed. I think it may be the rubber bushings and the rubber in between shock absorber where they attach to the frame...?

It does porous a bit on dips at high speed.

When i raise the TAG, It does not lift off the ground is that normal?

The steering seems loose, and requires a lot of correction. And, when an 18 wheeler passes me on the left, my Rig pushes to the right and I have to correct to the left but the steering is loos and so i have to correct again because it goes to far left. It doesn't feel like it's accurate. It's like loose. I understand it's an RV, but what are normall steering issues that i can repair/replace to make steering and chassis like new again?

I notice that while steering, it is hard to keep her centered as she wanders left then i have to correct right. This is constantly, and requires to much attention to drive. What items can I have Source engineering do to correct these issues? I mean i see that Source has 8 Airbag Ride Enhancement kit, I wonder if they have a 10 airbag Kit...?

When i use the remote to lock the bays, i hear them click, but only a few lock...

The seller neglected to tell me that the tile behind the chair was cracked. I can only imagine it was when someone activated slide without checking if passenger chair was too close. There is tape covering the area, which i did not see until my road trip.

I would like to address these issues and more. Below are some ideas I'd like to do. Can you take a look and offer suggestions...?

1. I Will see if I can pressure wash the entire underside of coach to see about any leaks.

2. Gently spray greaser on engine and generator and rinse with hose. No Pressure water there...

3. Contact Source Engineering for replacing all shocks and ask about Ride enhancement Kit. anyone use Source?

4. Anyone upgrade their bushings?

5. I can feel the bedroom is hot when we stop. Anyone have a link to those fans that remove engine heat?

6. Any other things Inherent or I should be aware of?

Lastly, I do want to thank irv2 and all the members here in making our maiden voyage one to remember!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9554.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	166417  
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like it's definitely time to have the alignment checked. You might have a loose or worn tie rod end or drag link, Source can fix you up with that and the shocks. They will also check the ride height. Be sure to check the air pressure's in your tires as that can have some effect on your steering and worst-case and scenario move those tires to the tag and buy a new pair and put on once you have the front end all lined up. These tag axle coaches drive like a dream when everything is correct, so you just need to get things checked out on the front end. Some peoples tag axles raise off the ground but as long as it is relieving weight load you should be ok. I think there are chains that can be adjusted for lifting it off the ground. You're correct about calling it boiler fluid and there's a radiator cap on top of the Aqua Hot you take off and top it off, then monitor the level from the overflow tank. Having a cracked tile is fairly common place no need to worry. Having some bedroom heat is part of the package with that engine sitting right underneath so without knowing your exact situation it might just be normal. Probably have some worn out door lock actuators, unless the power is not getting to some of them, i'm not sure where a good source to get those are. In closing we just had Source Engineering put all new Bilstein Source tuned shocks on our coach a month ago and it does make an incredible difference in the ride and handling. Randy
Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
One thing new owners who have AquaHot systems usually learn the hard way, is if the coach batteries are ever disconnected and there is no shore power, the AH low voltage cut out must be reset before the AH system will work.

Your coach probably has a TRW steering box. There is a way to adjust the steering wheel play on the control box. I suggest that before you start spending money on ride and steering upgrades that you check out www.monacowatts.com. Folks that have installed the Watts link say this is the "Biggest" thing you can do for driveability. It's on my list for this fall.

Probably wouldn't hurt to get a front and rear alignment. Since you're on the the west coast, Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene, OR is the place to go. They also installed the Safe-T-Plus (check this out) with trim adjust for us. They can adjust the wheel play also. Another good place for alignment and steering is Henderson's in Grant's Pass. While you're at it at either Kaiser's or Henderson's, have them rebuild your U-joints.

I also had Source install all new shocks. They did help quite a bit.

If you do go to OR, also stop at Pacific Power in Coburg and have on them install the up grades your engine ECM and the Allison transmission controls. The transmission upgrades sure improved our coach's drivability. Don't forget to service the air dryer if it hasn't been done in the last two years.

A good place to go for any slide adjustment or repairs is Elite Repair and Remodel in Harrisburg. These guys used to build these coaches at Monaco. They're good, and know what they are doing, but not cheap. Might also fix your cracked tile.

I'm sure you will like this Monaco. We love ours.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Source is a great place, Jim is very good, had a fair amount of service performed there.

It is of my opinion that there is NO NEED for a ride enhancement kit on that coach.
It just needs to be correct and it will drive like a dream.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Beautiful coach! A thought. Is this your first Class A? My experience on the below coach, my first was exactly the way you described. Mine is also a 10 bag tag axle MH. I found that it probably took 3K miles for the coach and I to get used to each other. Now, 4 years and 20K+ miles later it rides and handles like a dream. I remember the trucks and road crowns driving me to the right. It was not pleasant. Now none of that happens. The only thing that has changed is my experience. So my advice would be to just drive it for awhile and see if those things improve before you spend a lot of money you don't need to. Good luck.
PS, no the tag does not visibly lift much. You can see and hear it if you are looking at it when the switch is activated.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

The heat in the bedroom is normal. Check around the seals on the hatches, if you see soot around them, you could have an exhaust leak which will make it warmer. Our Sig had several exhaust leaks that I had Colton Truck Terminal fix. It cut down on the soot, but it still gets warm back there. If there are some fans I would interested as well.

The tag axle. Mine wasn't working at all when I bought my Sig, so I had no idea what it would do. Since fixed, you can hear the bags deflate and you can see it start to move. It doesn't actually come off of the ground, but almost. As long as it relieves the pressure on the tag tires I believe it is doing it's job. Also the chains do have a slight bit of slack in them. I don't raise the tag much, unless I lose traction on the drive wheels. We have a few spots we camp at regularly that we need to use the tag switch. I don't worry in tight turns, unless doing a lot of them in a row.

With the tag and that chassis, you shouldn't be having issues with trucks going by. My thought would be something loose or worn. It sounds like a nice coach that just needs a little attention and some TLC. I bought my Sig in March, the the dealer I bought it from had it back for nine weeks. I just got it back for Memorial Day, Since getting it back, I have spent most of the time on the interior getting it clean and up to my standards. I am starting to feel like it's my coach finally. I joke about it being called the money pit, but I believe any used coach just needs to be personalized and gone through. I am pretty meticulous with my vehicles, and I don't believe the previous owner was! I have a three week trip to Colorado coming up in our coach, so my deadline for getting our bugs worked out is coming fast.

The best money I spent so far was the new gear reduction starter. It starts great now every time!

Good luck and enjoy the journey!! Welcome to the Monaco club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Mist View Post
Spent about 1 hour looking over the coach and proceeded with the purchase.

The seller was gracious and we had a fun time learning about our new coach.

The Seller was not very handy and usually pays for everything to be done, which is fine. I am more detailed, and now the fun starts...

I did here some metallic noise going over bumps at low speed. I think it may be the rubber bushings and the rubber in between shock absorber where they attach to the frame...?

It does porous a bit on dips at high speed.

When i raise the TAG, It does not lift off the ground is that normal?

The steering seems loose, and requires a lot of correction. And, when an 18 wheeler passes me on the left, my Rig pushes to the right and I have to correct to the left but the steering is loos and so i have to correct again because it goes to far left. It doesn't feel like it's accurate. It's like loose. I understand it's an RV, but what are normall steering issues that i can repair/replace to make steering and chassis like new again?

I notice that while steering, it is hard to keep her centered as she wanders left then i have to correct right. This is constantly, and requires to much attention to drive. What items can I have Source engineering do to correct these issues? I mean i see that Source has 8 Airbag Ride Enhancement kit, I wonder if they have a 10 airbag Kit...?

When i use the remote to lock the bays, i hear them click, but only a few lock...

The seller neglected to tell me that the tile behind the chair was cracked. I can only imagine it was when someone activated slide without checking if passenger chair was too close. There is tape covering the area, which i did not see until my road trip.

I would like to address these issues and more. Below are some ideas I'd like to do. Can you take a look and offer suggestions...?

1. I Will see if I can pressure wash the entire underside of coach to see about any leaks.

2. Gently spray greaser on engine and generator and rinse with hose. No Pressure water there...

3. Contact Source Engineering for replacing all shocks and ask about Ride enhancement Kit. anyone use Source?

4. Anyone upgrade their bushings?

5. I can feel the bedroom is hot when we stop. Anyone have a link to those fans that remove engine heat?

6. Any other things Inherent or I should be aware of?

Lastly, I do want to thank irv2 and all the members here in making our maiden voyage one to remember!
QMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

I found WD 40 does wonders for sticky cargo door locks, after spraying all linkage and key locks mine became operational.

Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Mist View Post
My 2007 HR Navigator is quite similar to your SIG so I will attempt to answer a few Questions.

Hopefully you have the manual on this. That will tell you how to fill the fluid and what to use in it. To begin with, turn the Aqua-Hot 110V switch on (I rarely turn this switch off. Electricity is "Free" at the campground). It will only operate on 110V while plugged to Shore power or generator. Travelling down the road, the engine will heat the boiler fluid. Then all you need for heat in the coach is to turn on the thermostats. When taking a long shower turn on the Aqua-Hot Diesel switch. You will have all the hot water that you need. Turn the diesel off after the shower. Turn on diesel heat in addition to 110V heat if it is really cold outside.
Have the Aqua-Hot unit serviced yearly

My noise was the Kwikee Step ratting around.

First check would be your steering gear. If it is a TRW gear, it is adjustable. Here is a thread on that issue.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/stee...rw-210152.html
Hope this helps
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Forgot to say WELCOME to the Monaco family (REVGroup).

Your signature doesn't state where you are located. If you are in the Midwest in the spring, attending the HR Ramblin Pusher Maintenance session in Goshen, IN would be a great way to get to know more about your coach. It is open to all REV Group brands. It is a week long event that has many seminars on maintenance. Service people are there to work on coaches. I have my AquaHot and Generator serviced then. It is a welcoming group of like minded people.

http://www.ramblinpushers.org/index.php/2017-schedule
Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for all the very much needed information. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed, my parents are elderly and I am helping them right now and it s taking a lot of time. I am trying to make a punch list for the rig, and your replies here are helping greatly!

I will have to slow down unlike in the past where I could devote all of my time to restoration, now I will have to do bits and pieces.

I'm going to get the roof done with this Dicor 502-LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then Steam Clean the undercarriage, and then gently clean the oil off the generator.

Go to DMV, to register vehicle and go thru the lengthy process to get my Non commercial class B, oh yeah and insurance...
Ocean Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The handling issues you describe are the same ones I had with the Goodyear G670 tires that came on our coach. Changing to the Toyo 144a tires eliminated virtually all of the problems. I am not saying that the Toyos are THE answer; I am saying that on our coach the Goodyears were simply awfull. After changing tires I feel no need for any other upgrades or mods.

+1 for Kaiser Brake and Alignment in Eugene OR for any chassis or brake issues. Outstanding shop.

The tag doesn't actually come up off the ground, it just unweights. I only use that feature when I am making full lock turns. I can turn slightly sharper with it "up" and don't tear up gravel driveways as much.

It does get warmer in the bedroom, it is sitting on a 500 hp space heater. Unless you see soot around the access panels I think it is a case of TADT. 15 minutes after shutdown, though, it is no warmer than the rest of the coach. I think the sun on the unvented back cap may be a greater source of heat. The closet does get a lot warmer if the coach is pointed east.

I have spent more time, money and angst on the AquaHot than any other system in the coach. Keep up on the maintenance. Download the manuals and spend some quality time understanding how it works. Leave the diesel side on all the time, even when plugged into shore power. The more it runs the happy it is. And buy a good multimeter.

If you have oily grime on the generator I would look for the source.

I use orange citrus cleaner sprayed full strength to keep the engine compartment clean-ish. I use a hose with a gentle spray to rinse it off, followed by a wipe down with shops cloths. Then I run it for 15 minutes. I'd be embarrassed show my engine to Chet, you can eat off his Detroit, so do what he says.

Cheers,
Old 06-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I should add to my post that along with just getting used to driving the coach another big handling issue is tire inflation. When I started I had them all inflated like the plaque in the coach inflated at 120 PSI. I weighed the coach and adjusted the inflation as directed by my tire manufacturer. Little things that might save you some money and irritation.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote