RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New AC's

I have noticed the AC's are not keeping the coach as cool as they used too. The AC's are original to the 2004 Monaco Sig so 15 years old. Looking to replace them and go with the CCCII thermostats. It is a ducted system with heat pumps. I think they are 13,000 btu units and wondering if I should go with 15,000 btu units (3 on this coach) Any recommendations for where to purchase and have them installed.. How many more amps do the 15,000 btu units draw than the smaller units?? We winter in Indio, CA till it gets too HOT and always have 50 amps...

Thanks for any help
Dave

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My coach came with 13K Penguin I's both front and back, The front one failed and I replaced it with a high capacity Penguin II. They don't say its a 15K unit, but it's higher BTU than the 13K. The best price I could find was at PPL. I used that price to negotigate with my local RV shop and got them to come down considerably from their first quote. They wouldn't match PPLs price, but they got close enough for me to go with them instead of ordering and doing it myself. I also had to change the thermostat because I had the four button unit and there is no retrofit board for that one. There is a retrofit board for the 5 button thermostats so you have the option of keeping your old thermostat or going to a new programmable unit.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave! I would replace both units with the Dometic Penguin II 15K heat pump units, along with the CCC2 thermostat. Be sure to order new drain pan kits if your rig uses them.

I would also buy the Dometic 5-year extended warranties of the units. It seems that most A/C units go bad shortly after the 3-year factory warranty runs out!

I don't remember for sure, but I think there was only a couple of amps more current draw with the 15K.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

Since you have 3 units, that puts 2 of them on 1 leg of the 50 amp main. The 15's draw something close to 13/15 amps depending the voltage. They require a 20 amp circuit. I don't know if you have that. Assuming 15 amps each you would have a 30 amp load on that leg of the service. If they both cycle on at the same time the startup amps is much greater. You would need to add soft starts to them. At 30 amps you would also have to more closely monitor the other loads on that leg of the service then you do now because it will trip at 50 amps. ( so much for the 100 amps available BS ) With that being said, yes it would work. It will just take a new learning curve to know what you can run.

Amazon is your friend for purchase. Your CC will give you and extra year warranty.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My coach came with 15k's on each end and a 13.5k in the middle. Very little difference in power draw. Maybe a couple of amps.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
just to be clear, Penguin II does not come in a 15K unit.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...uin-ii-_-20683
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post

They list three capacities: 11K (BTU's), 13.5 K, and "Hi Cap". I would assume the "Hi Cap" puts out 15K or close to it.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

I have installed 3 - 15K Dometic Brisk II Heat Pumps and a new CCC2 Thermostat. Everything runs fine on 50A shore power or the 12.5KW Onan genset. I am all electric (convection oven, cooktop, reefer) ... no issues. Yes, I can run all 3 A/C units at the same time. I purchased everything from Dyers due to reduced shipping charges that made the total the cheapest. I did my own work so can't make any recommendations. The Brisk II units are about 3 inches taller than Duotherm/Penguins but they are more efficient. I can also run on 30A but only with 1 A/C. Brisk II units require a separate control board (Penguin has it included) so cost of a Brisk II needs adjustment of +$100 for the board. Total parts cost was about $3400 if I remember correctly.

http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-w...pper-unit.html
Old 03-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post

You're right Dennis! I should have referred to it as the Penguin II Hi-Capacity instead of the 15K.

Thanks for correcting me on that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I have installed 3 - 15K Dometic Brisk II Heat Pumps and a new CCC2 Thermostat. Everything runs fine on 50A shore power or the 12.5KW Onan genset. I am all electric (convection oven, cooktop, reefer) ... no issues. Yes, I can run all 3 A/C units at the same time. I purchased everything from Dyers due to reduced shipping charges that made the total the cheapest. I did my own work so can't make any recommendations. The Brisk II units are about 3 inches taller than Duotherm/Penguins but they are more efficient. I can also run on 30A but only with 1 A/C. Brisk II units require a separate control board (Penguin has it included) so cost of a Brisk II needs adjustment of +$100 for the board. Total parts cost was about $3400 if I remember correctly.

Dometic White Brisk Air II 15K Air Conditioner with Heat Pump - Upper Unit - Air Conditioners - Air Conditioners - RV Appliances
Did you have Duotherm's originally?

If so, how does the sound compare?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Did you have Duotherm's originally?

If so, how does the sound compare?

The originals were 15K Duotherms.

The Brisk II units are slightly quieter. It's a difficult comparison because the Brisk II moves about 15% more air than a Duotherm. I am pleased with the change. The Brisk II has no noticeable "thump".
All 3 are set to "cool" with the fans set to "auto" ... they start and stop as required ... the fans are not running continuously ... no freeze ups noted.
BTW, I chose the Brisk II partially due to Dometic having failures with Penguin II units (about 3 years ago). Could be fixed now. ?? If I was going to do it over, I would still choose the Brisk II based on performance. The extra 3" of height has never been an issue ... other rooftop stuff is the same height.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:46 PM   #12

Yeah, and I 'think' your Newmar has a better return air system than my H.R.
That seems to be where the majority of the noise comes from.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yeah, and I 'think' your Newmar has a better return air system than my H.R.
That seems to be where the majority of the noise comes from.

Newmar uses individual vents for both cool and warm ... a total of about 28. Keeps me busy with filter cleaning
Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #14

15K front and rear with 13K middle should be more than enough to handle any cooling requirements.

Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote