Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New back up camera wiring

Hi folks. I am trying to install a new camera. My 3rd Voyager died and I switched to a wireless Tadi Brothers. It takes separate 12 volt connections. Does anyone know where I can pick up 12 volts from the accessory side of the ignition ?

2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter

Thanks
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

How about a clearance light?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

When I changed out my old non-working, obsolete Sony wired BU system, I re-used the old coax to the rear camera to power the wireless Voyager camera. Center wire wired to 12V+ that originally powered the Sony monitor, coax shield wire to 12V- ground, same re-wiring on camera end. The Voyager monitor has an acc 12V plug to fit cigar lighter socket.
hope that explanation makes sense.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bob, but I need something that is hot when the lights are not on.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You should be able to find a constant hot feeding the headlights switch. How great is the draw from the wire you wish to attach?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #6

You could use the 12v wire that feeds the radio. Those LCD monitors draw very little current. Why could you not use the 12v that powered the Voyager?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you are talking about a backup camera...depending on which/what type of tow plug you have, i.e....mine is a 6 way with the center hot all of the time, that could be a source of 12 Volts. Not familiar with how the Voyager works, cutting the camera off and etc.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #8

I just did mine this passed weekend and connected off of one of the front fans mounted on the dash...turn on the fan switch and it works just fine.
dhart0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies folks. I needed something that did not stay hot all the time, my radio wiring is constant hot. I ended up running new wires all the way from back to front, following the previous Voyager wiring, then connecting to the jack activation panel wires. The existing Voyager wiring had the power going through the monitor, then back to the camera, so without the monitor there was no power to the rear. I probably could have found an easier solution if put more of my feeble brain power into the project.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you just needed a feed that was not constant on you could have tapped into the hot that comes out of the headlight switch to feed the dash/clearance lights.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. I needed something that did not stay hot all the time, my radio wiring is constant hot. I ended up running new wires all the way from back to front, following the previous Voyager wiring, then connecting to the jack activation panel wires. The existing Voyager wiring had the power going through the monitor, then back to the camera, so without the monitor there was no power to the rear. I probably could have found an easier solution if put more of my feeble brain power into the project.
Please let us know how you like the quality of the wireless camera setup. I have a close friend that owns an accessories shop and has done these ( and more) for years and when I talked to him about one for my CC Dually he quickly steered me away from a wireless setup.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one as of yet and would like to hear your results.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to bridluz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Please let us know how you like the quality of the wireless camera setup. I have a close friend that owns an accessories shop and has done these ( and more) for years and when I talked to him about one for my CC Dually he quickly steered me away from a wireless setup.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one as of yet and would like to hear your results.

I installed a wireless a couple years ago and I can't say I'm thrilled. It looses signal or gets signal interference too often.
bridluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

Hi RobRoy.
It is not nearly as good as the Voyager wired unit.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't want the hassle of a wireless system so I used the existing 4 conductor SVHS cable. I ran 12v on one leg and video on the other. Hooked it up to a really cheap wide angle camera I got on Amazon. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SVID.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	171342  
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Toad= 2017 Ford Fusion Energi w/ Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, wiring