Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #1

We are looking at the new Camelot 42PDQ. Like it a lot and would like any feedback .. the good ..bad.. and ugly. Any gotta have things? What should I watch out for .. we might take one off the lot.

& Phooey
Jim & Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #2

We are looking at the new Camelot 42PDQ. Like it a lot and would like any feedback .. the good ..bad.. and ugly. Any gotta have things? What should I watch out for .. we might take one off the lot.

& Phooey
Old 08-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jim/Barb-

Welcome to the Monaco Forum. So you're looking at a Camelot, nice coach.

Before we bought our Endeavor, we purchased a Brand X 'off the lot', too. It was priced very reasonably, but had been sitting there for almost 1 1/2 years (I found later). Took a lot of hassle to get it back up to where I was even partially-pleased with it, but never was happy so we sold it and got the Endeavor (best move I EVER made... well ok, second-best. First was marrying current wife).

Point is, I don't think it was completely the fact it was sitting, but that brand and the dealer taking care of it (or NOT taking care of us, in our case). I would suggest making sure of your dealer (or access to the factory) if you have problems, and find out how long it was sitting and why - if a long time. If those things are ok for you, then it becomes a different matter.

Monaco and my dealer have been very good to me, as far as 'after-sales' work goes. And I was extremely pleased with the quality of their construction and workmanship after touring the Indiana factory. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but a Prevost won't fit in my backyard. I've been all over and inside every nook and cranny, and can't complain about anything. Had a couple minor issues, but that's with vendor-supplied components (DVD/VCR, satellite Rx, etc) and not Monaco.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #4

I appreciate the info. This coach just got to the dealer.. in fact it has not even been cleaned up yet and the model is new this year. It has air leveling .. good .. bad ??????

& Phooey
Old 08-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again -

I'm guessing y'all went thru some of the same concerns and worries that I/we did with our coach. I read about a lot of 'problems' and gripes with similar coaches and wondered what we were getting ourselves into. Then someone pointed out that I was only seeing a very small minority of the overall population of Monaco (or Winnie, or Newmar, or Fleetwood, or ...) and not really a representative sample of everyone. He went on to point out that the folks that don't have problems, and don't carry a grudge about their coach, usually don't post. They're too busy enjoying life!

Made me feel a lot better, and we are very happy with what we got.

What colors? Nice floorplan, BTW.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #6

Hi Jim/Barb We just picked up our 2006 Camelot and we are very happy with it. There are a few things that need to be fixed but nothing major. Buddy Gregg has been real nice about it all. Hope you enjoy your new coach when you get it.
Bill & Linda Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bill & Linda Wise -

Welcome aboard Glad to have y'all with us as new members and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. When you get a chance, please add your coach info so's we can recognize each other as we go down the road.

How long did you look, and which Buddy Gregg location did you buy from?

Thanks!
Ron

Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #8

We look forward to being able to post our adventures,we have a 2006 Monaco DSQ 42'. We are in kentucky so we used the Buddy Gregg in Tennessee. We are the ones that travel with our Black Headed Caique.
Bill & Linda Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #9

Jim & Barb - don't know if you purchased yet or not but I was able to sit down with a Monaco Rep for two hours at the Ft. Worth Texas RV Show two weeks ago. Learned alot and was time well spent.

The 42 foot tag Camelot has basically the same lower chasis as the Dynasty/Imperial on up. 10 air bags, side radiator etc. The difference of course is in the superstructure (house) - all alluminm - completed in a slightly and more robust manner from the Diplomat level but not the steel that the Dynasty and above levels have.

Driveablilty and ride will be about the same as the more expensive coaches which is a nice advantage at a far lower price.

As far as air level - my view (one apparently to me shared by quite a few folks who sell and maintain the Monaco product) is that a 42 foot coach is too large for only three leveling jacks, so in my view air leveling is the only option. Interesting that Monaco offers an hydraulic level option now on the Dynasty and above - but it is with four jacks not three.

With the addition of the 10 airbag 42 foot chasis to the Monaco line - it's hard to justify the extra $$ for the next level - that is of course unless you just want one!
wpitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have some friends with the three jack system, Monaco's, and they really don't like it even if the coach is level always feel someone on steps when entering coach, Yes you can put a step support under step but a four jack system is alot more stable with three or four slides.
My 96 Bounder had them and I would have thought they would have been a thing of the pass by now.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #11

I agree - the paraphrase the Gieco Gecko - installing three lifts on a 33,000# coach does seems a bit "cheezy." You can feel the coach move when someone comes in or the kids move around and I have noticed that the bay doors do not open as easy - so there are some twisting loads on the frame.
wpitts is offline   Reply With Quote