Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for the used Monaco.
Monaco did build full wall slide models in 2007 in the Dynasty, Executive, Signature, and the Holiday Rambler line (Navigator, Imperial, and others). Our 2007 Executive full wall slide had a stunning interior with tons of space and a huge master bath in the rear. If your wife likes the dark wood, take a look at the Monaco stained cherry or the mahagony wood interiors. Also look at the Monaco Beaver coaches. Beaver Marquis, Patriot, and Monterey have some of the nicest work work I've ever seen on any coach at any price!

As long as you are willing to put in the work and money to update it, you will have a coach that is superior to the new Fleetwood line up. The old Monaco will have a side radiator with 10 airbags and 10 shocks vs Fleetwood rear radiator with lots of Freightliner lower cost point plastic accessories. If you step up to the Monaco Excecutive (1 step above the Dynasty) your engine choices expand to the Cummins ISM 500hp, Cummins ISX 525hp, or even the Detroit Series 60- 515hp engines and Allison 4000 transmission. The Beaver lineup will have Cat engines. These are top of the line power trains that are similar to million dollar+ coaches.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I sold my 2002 Discovery to buy a 1998 Dynasty

So that should say something?
I really liked the Discovery, and it had many, many nice features. Can't complain about it, and it never let us down.

The Dynasty is a totally different animal, a league apart. I especially agree with comments above about the side radiator; the Discovery series can overheat with the rear radiator, and with the side radiator our temps are rock solid (travelling over the same routes in 100+ degree heat in the southwest desert).

Since I do most of my own work, the side radiator also let me change the alternator and work on the a/c compressor with direct access from the rear. Labor is considerably more expensive with rear radiator models for this same reason; it's a bear to get to anything with radiator in the way.

I seriously doubt that you would insult anyone here in asking your question, and also know that happy spouses are...well... an asset? LOL.

I would also add that there are many, many satisfied Fleetwood owners. I don't know that either would be a 'mistake' - we all just have our preferences.
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Also, I would not want a full-wall slide! Too many problems!

Not sure why, there are a lot of full wall slides out there. Don;t hear of all that many problems with them.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Also, I would not want a full-wall slide! Too many problems!
Me neither!
Way too many issues and very high & $$ repair track record, no matter who the mfg is... twisty roads into a campground that torque the coach is NOT your friend.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
So that should say something?

I really liked the Discovery, and it had many, many nice features. Can't complain about it, and it never let us down.

The Dynasty is a totally different animal, a league apart. I especially agree with comments above about the side radiator; the Discovery series can overheat with the rear radiator, and with the side radiator our temps are rock solid (travelling over the same routes in 100+ degree heat in the southwest desert).

Since I do most of my own work, the side radiator also let me change the alternator and work on the a/c compressor with direct access from the rear. Labor is considerably more expensive with rear radiator models for this same reason; it's a bear to get to anything with radiator in the way.

I seriously doubt that you would insult anyone here in asking your question, and also know that happy spouses are...well... an asset? LOL.

I would also add that there are many, many satisfied Fleetwood owners. I don't know that either would be a 'mistake' - we all just have our preferences.

Not sure why my signature isnt showing?

John S
98 Dynasty PFD 40'
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
The Dynasty is the way to go. Better built in every way. With the Discovery you will continue for years discovering reasons you shouldn't have bought it.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've Owned Both and...

Gave up my dear-to-me (albeit used) Discovery/Freightliner for a used Dynasty/Roadmaster. The fit and finish of the Monaco coupled with the rock-steady robust chassis dictate I would never go back to the Fleetwood. These vehicles are simply not in the same league.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
I know you are right about that. So if I have insulted any Monaco owners with my OP, please forgive me.

I realize the Monaco Dynasty and up are much better built MHs than the Discovery. If the choice were mine alone, I would go with the Monaco. But as I suspect others here have had to deal with, I must keep the DW happy.

I am not sure she would be happy with an older coach, though she says she would. She likes the new dark wood decor and all tile floors. The full wall slide makes a huge impression that we both really like. Though I recognize there could be issues. It does concern me that new coaches require so much after-the-sale fixing.

I really dislike this indecisiveness on my part. This is the reason for my OP.

The Dynasty is build on one of the strongest chassis ever used in motorhome construction. There are no coach builders using a semi monocoque chassis today below the level on Newell. It costs too much.

As you state, the Dynasty is somewhat cheaper. For 15-20k you can do an extensive remodel of the interior. When our coach was 8 years old, we did a remodel & at 14 years of age, we are very happy with our full time home.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #23

Just one example of problems with full wall slides. Read the owners own words. Granted different manufacture, but same physics. Vertical and lateral loads on the floor and slide walls, not to mention the coach wall, Big Hole.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dutc...ml#post3721269
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Brand new Chevrolet?
My good friend would never buy another new BMW.
No glory in being a Yuppie with multiple car issues
CaptV1VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #25

New coaches are not problem free, but neither are used coaches. It is about condition and how much life is left. In a used car the concern is how has it been driven and how was it maintained. In a motorhome you generally are not concerned with how it was driven, or even how much, but how it was stored and maintained are important.

Look for signs of well performed maintenance. Get the manual from the owner and look at the recommended maintenance for the engine, transmission and chassis and see if it has been done.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty & Yani View Post
Do some research 😉

I did and really couldn't find anything to back up that statement other than some more complex emission systems to deal with and DEF to buy.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to point us to the information that you base your statement on?

I was thinking that you had something specific to point out.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We have been FT for 5 years. About 6 months ago we bought a 2007 Dynasty 43 Palace III. The quality of this coach is amazing (compared to the new ones). Ours has the full wall slide on drivers side. We have had zero issues toodling around the mountains in AZ and CO. You couldn't give me a new discovery for this.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I also owned a full wall slide 2007 Monaco and had zero issues with it. The rigid monocoque chassis combined with some good engineering make it work great. It uses cables to first lift the slide, then hydraulics to move the slide in/out.
When you first walk into one of these, the interior space will amaze you! My wife loved the huge master bath (it was bigger than some Class A bedrooms). I wouldn't have any hesitation purchasing a 2007 Monaco full wall slide.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discovery