RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
New headlights on the way!

Some time ago I started a thread about replacing our headlight bulbs with LED's, but the project got sidelined at the time since we never drive at night. Famous last words!

We were driving back from NC and got caught on the road after dark, having to drive about 2 hours with practically no lights! I was a nervous wreck when we finally got to the campground for the night.

Our headlamp housing are in such bad shape I decided to replace them instead of just the bulbs. I found the deal below which sounded like a good price to me. I can always replace the bulbs with LED's if they aren't bright enough, but I suspect they will be fine for now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halogen-Hea....c100290.m3507

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #2

Hi Joe; I have been putting off the same on my 01 Windsor. Previous body style to yours. Please post your results as I have read that some of these replacement lens are Chinese knock offs and the quality is not that good. I would inspect as close a possible when you get them in your hands. Have read here in this forum that sometimes replacing the headlight is a real bear! The knock offs sometimes don't have all the tabs and holes and etc. in the proper place. I can be all wet on this as I have only read about what I am posting. Hope these work 100% for you as I know what you mean about the old headlight lens. I don' think bugs would even fly around the lights as there is not much there. Good luck!

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll post an update after I install and try them!

Old 11-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

Another brand is Anzo......
Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe, and darn we talked about that in Maggie Valley.

Sorry you got caught out after dark. I know what you mean as coming in to Maggie Valley we where way after dark.

Let us know how it turns out with the new headlights.

Say hi to Annette.

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

If any of you want to know about replacing the headlight buckets, let me give you a little insight. The bucket on our 2009 HR vacationer were fogged on the inside so all the buffing in the world would have not done any good. So after much investigation I found out I needed 2004 -2009 Ford F150 headlights. So I order them from Headlightdepot.com [excellent service & price]. Now for the horror story. Only 2 of the mounting supports, out of the 5, does HR use and the rest are their own concoction. I started with right side and 6 1/2 hours later DW and I got it in and aimed. Left side went better. I build cars from frame up so I am not a newbie to fabricating things but the right one was a real challenge. After the words used in the operation I will be going to confession on Saturday and probably still be there Sunday.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I just put LED bulbs in mine. The lenses are clear and shiny but the old bulbs were so yellow and dim I, like you, was white knuckling it for 10 miles or so. I picked up the pair of LED's off Amazon for $34.00 on the pair. What a difference!! BUT.... when installing them I got to looking around and HR took out the vertical adjusters and hard mounted to capsule to the front shroud! I have horizontal adjustments but not vertical! The only way I can see to adjust them (if necessary) is to move the brackets. We will see, I have not been flashed yet but have not been on a dark two lane.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
After the words used in the operation I will be going to confession on Saturday and probably still be there Sunday.[/QUOTE]

If like me... for a month!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

Mine are Ford OP had OEM in box for me .I think a van. Monaco threaded top two adjusters through like 22ga.sheet metal . Not even a full thread thickness. I have to adjust them from rear . One is stripped. I think 4.5 mm socket. I had to remove one to get to stair cover Mac valve. Trying to figure a way to make a capture nut. thicker metal or angle iron. One hole is right under 90 angle ,one hole is a bit too low.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #10

I put new Ford Bronco lights in a got a little better light and then put led bulbs from 4M
and they are amazing. I drive a lot at night in the winter so I need great lights
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #11

I have found these Chinese headlight to be good as far as a direct bolt in replacement, but I haven't found any that produce decent light patterns. They haven't been able to be properly focused. I think that the Chinese are great at copying the headlights and making a great looking product, but fail when it comes to designing the reflectors and the stuff that matters.

Sometimes at first I think they are good because they are better than the yellowed lenses they replaced, but it wears off quickly when you realize they are not like OEM and you can't get a good pattern and get them aimed properly and people are flashing you etc. (a lot like the LED bulbs you can put in assemblies not made for the, and they are not DOT approved).

It is so hard to not want to buy them for the price they are asking for them.

I hope your story turns out better.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

The 2003 Diplomat uses housings from a long list of Ford Econoline vans. I was able to find a set on Amazon for just under $100, crystal clear with the faceted reflectors. The lamps however were still TRAGICALLY dim at night.

I was able to mount them with some creativity - as others have discovered, Monaco has been very creative (CHEAP!!!!) in how the housings mount, and one thing they had done was limiting the adjustment range by having the metal cage too wide and close to the back of the reflector. After some "adjusting" by stretching and shaping the metal cage around the reflector, I added back a HUGE amount of articulation range in the aiming. With the coach at ride height, I got them aimed using the helpful reflectors on a lowboy trailer parked about 60' in front of my coach in its storage yard. But once it got truly dark... The halogen lamps are still not doing it for me. I don't think it is a power issue (wattage / bad grounds will make any lights dim!) but just that Halogens aren't that bright anymore.

I ordered a set of very-highly-regarded Hikari LEDs that are supposed to match the light shape of halogen (so they will properly fit halogen reflectors) and output about 6000 lumens each. Normal halogens (no matter WHAT the package says!) will only output about 1000 lumens for 55 watts of power. Hopefully will be installing them soon and will take some pictures of the results.

I also picked up some replacement LED foglight housings - got a pair of combo spot/flood and a pair of just flood. I don't know which will look better in the front, but for $30 a pair and (claimed) about 2000 lumens each... That should help the foglight position and the other pair will become some backup lights mounted under the body by the rear wheels. I'm tired of not being able to see diddly when backing into a parking space after dark! I'll probably have to run a dedicated relay line off the reverse light anyway, but those housings are being upgraded too with all LED and they are now SILLY bright.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The new headlights came in today and they look great! I will try to get them installed over the weekend and let you know how they work!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #14

If they are anything like mine were plan a long weekend.

gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, lights