RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Location: Fort Thomas, KY 2008 35ft DP Safari Simba 2014 Honda CRV
New Monaco/DP owners - 2008 Safari Simba 35FT and warranty question

We just purchased our first Monaco and Diesel Pusher yesterday. We found a 2008 Monaco Safari Simba, 35 ft with 4,000 miles. Like new inside and out. I really like the layout and finish of the cabinets. Looks to be a solid coach. Very excited to start getting it ready for spring. Been watching a ton of youtube (RV Geeks) on diesels.

We have a chance to purchase a bumper to bumper 4yr warranty for around $4m. Has any bought a warranty on a used coach and if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

leighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Normally I am an anti-extended warranty person.

When we bought our 2008 Holiday Rambler (Monaco) new in 2010 the dealer provided us with an extended warranty since Monaco was out of business. Our first trip out, we blew the radiator. Second trip out the fuel tank developed a leak around the weld at the drain plug and had to be pumped, removed, and re-welded.

On a coach with mileage as low as yours it probably has not been through its original shakedown period yet.

I say buy it!

One other thing. Check the date codes on the tires. Even if they look like new if they have not been replaced you need to do so as they are aged out and could be a safety hazzard.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

Location: Fort Thomas, KY 2008 35ft DP Safari Simba 2014 Honda CRV
Thanks, I too am not normally a warranty person, but am leaning towards buying. Yes on tires, will be replaced in a couple of months. That was factored into purchase price. Any recommendations on tires?
leighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Opinions on tires are a hot topic here. I personally hated my Goodyear tires as they developed rivering early on.

You will hear a lot of people bad mouth my pick for a replacement which was Firestone. I installed six 295/75R22.5 Load range H FS591s in February 2015 and have been very happy with them.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased a low mileage in excellent condition 2003 Monaco Cayman. We also purchased an extended warranty. Around $6000.00. To our dismay we have collected back on the investment, coach currently in shop on 3rd radiator. Too many items to name. As stated above your coach is still in shakedown mode. I highly recommend you purchase the warranty. I would first check with repair facilities in your area to see what companies they will work with. Some warranty companies are difficult to work with at best. Local shops will give you insight there. Second, read, reread the warranty! There are stipulations that can be problematic if you don't follow their rules. I had to send 41 pages of documented proof of different maintenance issues I had completed and repaired separate of any claim. Do good research on the company you choose. This is the second warranty we have purchased but never had any claims on the first one. Good luck and happy travels. Jake
Old 02-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
$4m sure sounds like a lot. $4T?
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I was going to say, if you have 4 mil sitting around for a warranty, I wouldn't think you'd be too scared of repair bills!

Welcome another Safari owner to the group! I don't know how different your 2008 will be than my 2005, but mine just hit 107,000 miles and still going strong.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, warranty