Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

New Monaco Owner needs some help.

Recently purchased a 99 38A Diplomat. We are starting a small remodel, removed the head knocker front tv and one of the two sofas. Question is about our tow'd vehicle. On the hitch of the coach is a hydraulic fitting. Does anyone know what brand this is? We have yet to decide what brake to use on our Regal. Thanks in advance Here's hoping the attachment works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160330_151727.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	122746  
monaco1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I believe this is an air quick connect fitting that you be used to actuate a braking system in the toad.

Best way to determine if this air is to trace the plastic type line, it should go to one of your rear brake control units.

I have the same thing and decided to install a Brakemaster system.
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/product...r/brake_m.html

I really like it, once it set up it is very easy to take in and out to set up for towing.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Thanks

It looks like that might be it with the one prong bayonet electrical connector. What should I be looking for at the drivers seat? There are no lights to indicate usage, or any type of controls. Buying a system for a 2nd vehicle seems competitive to Ready Brake Buddy Tow Bar ReadyBrake Braking System RB-4000. I had been considering this unit. With Roadmaster is it easy to hook up each time for towing?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

Go with the roadmaster, works great very easy to hook up. Your motor home already has the air line installed, it,s an easy installation to add on the tow car.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been using the Roadmaster for several years. It works perfectly and is really easy to install and remove from the toad.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, BrakeMaster air line. Need to get ours installed on the Magna even though it doesn't need it!! But to be legal everywhere we go I need to get it done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The indicator light is red and about the size of a pencil eraser. If they used it there should be a round sticker that indicates the brakemaster light.

It could be mounted on the dash or the side console it they went through the trouble of running the wire needed to power it from the toad.

If they didn't run it you can buy a light and put it in. I like this feature. Although when my wife & I travel together and do a precheck for turn signals and brake lights I like to see the red light on the dash light up while in route so I know the toad brake is working.

If you go with the brakemaster it would be easy to set up a 2nd vehicle and just move the brake actuator from one car to the other.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If you go with the brakemaster it would be easy to set up a 2nd vehicle and just move the brake actuator from one car to the other.
That's what we did. It's easier if you replace the two adjusting bolts with the safety pins RoadMaster provides if you buy their 2nd vehicle kit since our vehicles required different length settings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

You may have talked me into one. Does the led light indicate when you press on the brake? Since the coach already has air brakes? Your quick responses have been great. I use to drive small buses years ago, before becoming an Eng. Tech. in GM's Powertrain Division. I test drove lots of things. But my baptism of fire, was driving the Monaco 45 miles with one stiff cross wind. Seemed to be making the longest left turn ever! After getting to the expressway and having the wind to my back. I was dumbfounded at how well it rode and drove. Very pleased on our decision to go with a Monaco.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Monaco Diplomat 38A and dearly love it. You said you removed the head banger TV. I removed the original tv and put up a flat screen, then turned the cabinet into storage for paper products with the flat screen mounted on a lift up door.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milepost50 View Post
I have a Monaco Diplomat 38A and dearly love it. You said you removed the head banger TV. I removed the original tv and put up a flat screen, then turned the cabinet into storage for paper products with the flat screen mounted on a lift up door.
Hi Mike

Do you have any pictures? I have the same model and year of coach and thinking about doing something similar.

I'm thinking about taking out the j-couch and installing a cabinet with a TV attached to the top. And adding a door to the existing TV cabinet.

Just a thought at the moment, since I'm dealing with batteries currently.

Bill
Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the red indicator will light up when the brake is pressed long enough for the brakemaster to depress the vehicle brake pedal. It is pretty responsive.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milepost50 View Post
I really like how much more light that comes into the coach. I will duplicate the look of the existing cabinets, the door will be the only tricky part. Before GM and bus driving I worked at Century travel trailers of Webberville MI. Worked my way up to utility man before things crashed in the late 70's. Cabinets are something I really like to do.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbyjig View Post
Hi Mike

Do you have any pictures? I have the same model and year of coach and thinking about doing something similar.

I'm thinking about taking out the j-couch and installing a cabinet with a TV attached to the top. And adding a door to the existing TV cabinet.

Just a thought at the moment, since I'm dealing with batteries currently.

Bill
No pictures yet still designing and researching a good and reasonably priced tv lift. Anyone have a suggestion. Took a picture of the tv plug with the odd plug, above the drivers seat. Looked it up on google and was answered by a post on this site. You can't watch tv while driving, this site is a gold mine with the search engine. If you can't find it, post it and soon someone helps. My hats off to the entire group.

Tags
monaco