RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #1

hi everyone...we are new monaco owners and very happy so far wiht how our coach runs....only problems with leaky slides. Have taken coach to rv dealer but problem still not fixed. Any ideas. how to find where it is leaking from? Any help PLEASE>>>>

sassysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #2

hi everyone...we are new monaco owners and very happy so far wiht how our coach runs....only problems with leaky slides. Have taken coach to rv dealer but problem still not fixed. Any ideas. how to find where it is leaking from? Any help PLEASE>>>>

Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hi Sassysam!!
Welcome to the IRV2 forums...I can tell you that you came to the right place!
You may want to tell everyone what year coach you have and when the leak occurs...that may make a difference as to their answers.
I do hope you find this board as enjoyable as I do...you will find all sorts of people willing to toss out suggestions, share information and even throw a few funny things out there for all to enjoy!

Again...welcome to the board and enjoy it as much as you can!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi sassysam -

Welcome to irv2 We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often, and when you want to be a official member of the forum, just let me know.

MonacoMama is right, a bit of info as to which coach you have may make a big difference in how to help you (and may help us to make less fools of ourselves than we usually do already . Just kidding...). Different models may have different build-features and therefore may have different 'quirks'. We'd love to help, so stick around!

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It seems that there is only one way a slide can leak - if the seal is not making a good connection. If it is leaking while the slide is retracted, run your hand around the outside of the slide. If there are gaps between the slide and the outside wall, it will leak. First assure that the seal is in good condition, then see if there is anything interfering with the seal - leaves, branches, etc. If there are large gaps, you probably need that slide adjusted.

If it is leaking while the slide is extended, same procedure, but from the inside. See if the seal is contacting the wall firmly. Make sure the sweeper seal (the flexible rubber seal on the outside) is flexible and moving with the slide. At night, take a very bright flashlight and shine it around the seal while someone looks from the other side for light leaks. Again, if the seal is in good shape, and you have visible gaps, the slide may need to be adjusted.

There are *some* slide adjustments you can make yourself, but if it is under warranty, I suggest taking it to a service center to have them adjust. I had a bedroom slide that had daylight coming through the top. They lifted and tweaked and tweaked some more. Works perfect now.

Good luck. Leaks suck.

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ronboc said:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and may help us to make less fools of ourselves than we usually do already </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ahemmm ...speak for yourself!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #7

I used 1-inch wide self adheav,none skid tape .
With slide out , I installed tape 2 inches away from rubber gasket.when slide moves,it flips rubber slide seals to make water tight.
biglarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
tjy

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Don't know if related but we have/had leak
next to the drivers seat which soaked the carpet
twice..turned out to be leaking from seal on
the roof on or near the drivers side window,
came from factory that way
tom
tjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hey now, 'Mama. Who am I calling a fool? .... Oh wait, that'd be me.

biglarry -
The newer Monacos are using that same idea of yours, but I noticed they use a 'softer' type of non-skid material than is usually found in Lowe's/HomeDepot. I was going to do it myself when I first saw the strips on a coach, but all I could find was some that was like a very rough sandpaper. I could very easily imagine that sandpaper quickly grinding down the rubber-seals each time they went in/out.
I talked to a tech when I was at Monaco and he said the softer stuff is available but harder to find.
I finally let them apply it, and I gotta say I've not had one case of a seal not 'flipping' since it was done.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #10

hi again all you travelers.....thanks so much for the help with the leaky slides. We supposedly had them fixed at a dealer (not a Monaco dealer tho) and it seems the bedroom one still leaked with the slideout out. Not as bad as before but still a little wet. We have a 2003 Monaco Knight....we have been very ahppy with it except for the leaks. It was throwing water up also where the wheel wells are when we were traveling but that seems to be fixed. Shoul we take it a only a Monaco dealer to have it fixed? Plus we had satellite installed (the searching dome) and it works great but now the tv in the rear does not get a picture. And it turns on and off constantly. Almost liek it has a short......of course my husband is heppy wwith the front tv working and all but I feel they shoulod both work. We also had them take out the original dvd and vcr (separte units) and put one u nit in. The technician did say because it was all rca units and tv's, it also won't work in the rear tv....wehy? it works in the front tv?? Please, please any ideas would be wonderful. thanks again
Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sassysam:
hi again all you travelers.....thanks so much for the help with the leaky slides. We supposedly had them fixed at a dealer (not a Monaco dealer tho) and it seems the bedroom one still leaked with the slideout out. Not as bad as before but still a little wet. We have a 2003 Monaco Knight....we have been very ahppy with it except for the leaks. It was throwing water up also where the wheel wells are when we were traveling but that seems to be fixed. Shoul we take it a only a Monaco dealer to have it fixed? Plus we had satellite installed (the searching dome) and it works great but now the tv in the rear does not get a picture. And it turns on and off constantly. Almost liek it has a short......of course my husband is heppy wwith the front tv working and all but I feel they shoulod both work. We also had them take out the original dvd and vcr (separte units) and put one u nit in. The technician did say because it was all rca units and tv's, it also won't work in the rear tv....wehy? it works in the front tv?? Please, please any ideas would be wonderful. thanks again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>sorry about all the eros, in too much of a hurry!!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Monaco 33 SFS. Our first leak was just above the driver's seat from the roof. The local dealer fixed that one. The seal on the slide out became very loose. Ended up going to the service center in Wildwood because the local dealer coouldn't fix it. The replaced the seal and put grip tape on the slide out to flip the seal. We started inching the slide back in to allow it to flip better and drain the water off of it. Good luck!
FlaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #13

Hi! Sassysam, I have a 2003 Knight and the bedroom slid was leaking took it back to the factory to be fixed, got it back and stilled was leaking took it back and they put cups in the floor to drain the water away from the inside of the coach. Have been dry so far. I think you can buy them and install them your self. Good luck!!! Hope this helps.

Jim D.
2003 Knight
jim d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 AM   #14
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a leak in the front lower corner of the bedroom slide on my 04 Lapalma. After much troubleshooting, I removed the caulk in the front outside corner which was sealing the transistion from the sill to the seal. There was evidence of a leak there (discolored). I recaulked the corner area which fixed the leak.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote