RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
dverstra's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 389
New Radio with Apple CarPlay Install

I've been wanting to update the radio since I purchased this Motorhome. I wanted one with Apple CarPlay since it is easily navigated by my Copilot. It is an Alpine iLX-F309 (single din). The reason I went with this particular radio was the adjustable angle and depth mounting system. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4215.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	257515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4224.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	257516  

__________________

__________________
2007 HR Navigator 40 PBQ - Detroit Series 60
2013 Honda CR-V
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
distaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,718
Very interesting. What did you replace? I hate the Kenwood in mine, but it is tied into the rear camera and Aladdin system, and my head just spins when I start talking about A/V tech.
__________________

__________________
Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder C13 Allison 4000
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost AWD
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dverstra's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 389
I replaced an Alpine single din receiver. The previous owner must have replaced the original. My backup camera and Alladin monitor were separated by previous owner into a monitor on top of the dash. The Alpine radio has an input for a rear camera. I think that it would be possible to have the Alladin system send the video for the backup camera and Alladin data to the RCA jack on this monitor. I could give that a test try if you had an interest.
__________________
2007 HR Navigator 40 PBQ - Detroit Series 60
2013 Honda CR-V
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
distaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
I replaced an Alpine single din receiver. The previous owner must have replaced the original. My backup camera and Alladin monitor were separated by previous owner into a monitor on top of the dash. The Alpine radio has an input for a rear camera. I think that it would be possible to have the Alladin system send the video for the backup camera and Alladin data to the RCA jack on this monitor. I could give that a test try if you had an interest.
I am interested. Love to dump mine, but it has kept me busy just keeping it on the road!
__________________
Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder C13 Allison 4000
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost AWD
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 1,252
Isn't it sad that RV's cost so much and the radios are generally crap? They should come standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto and all the frills of the radios in our $30k cars. Motorhomes haven't broken out of the 70's, lol.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
distaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Isn't it sad that RV's cost so much and the radios are generally crap? They should come standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto and all the frills of the radios in our $30k cars. Motorhomes haven't broken out of the 70's, lol.
Of course, mine was built in '05 and the Kenwood was pretty trick for the time. I just think the things you have to do to control it were the product of 12 year old designers. At one point I accidentally turned on the GPS mapping system and it took 600 miles to turn it off!

Carplay was a distant dream, cassettes a recent memory in '05.
__________________
Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder C13 Allison 4000
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost AWD
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:03 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dverstra's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I am interested. Love to dump mine, but it has kept me busy just keeping it on the road!
I will test this radio with the Alladin system and backup camera later today or tomorrow.
__________________
2007 HR Navigator 40 PBQ - Detroit Series 60
2013 Honda CR-V
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
RobRoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
dverstra;4920074 I will test this radio with the Alladin system and backup camera later today or tomorrow.




__________________
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:56 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
dverstra's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 389
Well, I had a little time to test the radio last night to see if the Alladin and cameras would show up on the radio. It certainly wouldn't be a plug and play connect.
1. Cameras - I could easily set up the backup camera to view in the radio monitor. There is a RCA Camera IN connection in the the wiring harness. I had to press the camera icon on the screen though. This is probably due to the fact that when I was installing the radio, I had no need to hook up the "Reverse" wire to get a signal for the camera. So, I think that it would be relatively simple to do a single backup camera connect. There is a selection in the setup screen for "Camera Interrupt (Power Mode)" that I think would put the camera on the screen when shifting into reverse.
2. Multi-Camera connection. Some one with a better understanding of A/V equipment might be able to figure this out but probably not me. Alpine sells a KCX-C2600B Multi-Camera Selector for an additional $120.00 but it only handles 2 cameras (Alpine brand) and one non-Alpine brand. And I think that it is manually operated not switched by the turn signals. Maybe there is a magic switch box to do all this but I'm not seeing it.
3. Alladin connection. I could not get the A/V output for the Alladin System to show on the screen. I tried a couple of the settings in the Setup screen but couldn't get a picture to it through the RCA Input jack.
Maybe someone with a lot of A/V could work these problems out.
__________________
2007 HR Navigator 40 PBQ - Detroit Series 60
2013 Honda CR-V
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
distaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,718
Thanks, appreciate the effort. I am also not A/V gifted. Give me computer wiring any day! It is a different world with funny acronyms and different standards.
__________________
Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder C13 Allison 4000
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost AWD
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
pduggs's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Somewhere Warm
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
I've been wanting to update the radio since I purchased this Motorhome. I wanted one with Apple CarPlay since it is easily navigated by my Copilot. It is an Alpine iLX-F309 (single din). The reason I went with this particular radio was the adjustable angle and depth mounting system. Here are some pics.
Nice radio. Did you use the OEM antenna or upgrade it too? Does it pick up stations well?

I have the original Magnadyne and AM/FM reception is awful even near a big city. I want to replace it but fear the roof antenna is so poor, I will get the same poor reception with a new radio.
__________________
2008 Dynasty Squire
Paul & Luci
Fulltimers
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
dverstra's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Nice radio. Did you use the OEM antenna or upgrade it too? Does it pick up stations well?

I have the original Magnadyne and AM/FM reception is awful even near a big city. I want to replace it but fear the roof antenna is so poor, I will get the same poor reception with a new radio.
I did not change the outside antenna. It is still the OEM antenna as far as I know. The reception has always been OK. But you are right. I don't think just a radio is going to improve your reception. I'm not a radio geek though.
You might try talking to a CB guy. They "tune" their antennas somehow.

I used the 131 CB Radio Shop, 550 76th St SW, Byron Center, MI 49315. He installed a CB in my previous MH.
__________________
2007 HR Navigator 40 PBQ - Detroit Series 60
2013 Honda CR-V
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:08 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Of course, mine was built in '05 and the Kenwood was pretty trick for the time. I just think the things you have to do to control it were the product of 12 year old designers. At one point I accidentally turned on the GPS mapping system and it took 600 miles to turn it off!

Carplay was a distant dream, cassettes a recent memory in '05.
I guess you have the Kenwood KVT-M707. I just "upgraded" to that. Another forum member donated his Kenwood to me after he upgraded.

The KVT-M707 is much nicer than the previous model (M700). I'm still readign the manual but everything seems to work. One thing is that the new M707 does not automatically come one (display extending and showing VD1) when I turn on the Aladdin power. The older M700 did.

Paul, does your Kenwood M707 "turn on and extend/open the display" when the Aladdin joystick is moved (Aladdin powered on)? Maybe I missed a setting.

On the Reverse camera, the new M707 has a "reverse gear" wire and the receiver unit has a video In jack for a camera. I was thinking it would be easy to wire the Reverse wire to power all the time and run an RCA Y-adapter to split the rear camera to Aladdin and Kenwood at the same time. Then I can just toggle through the Kenwood video sources to see the rear view camera (or use the Aladdin). It would be easy to leave the Kenwood in rear camera mode while driving and still use the Tuner or CD Changer.
__________________
Mike ----- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP, 42-ft Tag, with HydraLift
**Beaver History/Info/Chassis/Suspsn https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
**Bvr/Mnco Wiring Diagrams (84-09):https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
pduggs's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Somewhere Warm
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
I did not change the outside antenna. It is still the OEM antenna as far as I know. The reception has always been OK. But you are right. I don't think just a radio is going to improve your reception. I'm not a radio geek though.
You might try talking to a CB guy. They "tune" their antennas somehow.

I used the 131 CB Radio Shop, 550 76th St SW, Byron Center, MI 49315. He installed a CB in my previous MH.
Thanks. My thought is our coaches have all steel framing. If a radio antenna were attached to the framing, that should make reception excellent as the entire coach would become one big radio antenna. Much like a car's radio antenna.

Monaco used a flexible rubber radio antenna on my coach. I can't imagine it being very effective. I hope to make a modification to it some time soon, but have to figure out how to do it.
__________________

__________________
2008 Dynasty Squire
Paul & Luci
Fulltimers
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install, radio



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REVIEW: Alpine iLX-107 with Wireless CarPlay CaptainGizmo Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 0 04-21-2019 11:31 PM
Mapping Solutions; Garmin, CarPlay, CoPilot, Google, Apple, Waze CaptainGizmo Newmar Owner's Forum 119 02-28-2019 09:11 AM
Apple carplay pattcook Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 2 12-28-2018 07:36 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×