RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post
Jim,

When you start shopping for your rear tires, keep an eye out for sales promotions. Admittedly my tires are a size down from yours but GCR, a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer in Coburg, OR, installed 4 Firestone FS560’s, (255 X 70R X 22.5”, load range H, 16 ply-rating) on the drive axle. The all-in price with new stems, spin balanced, alligator stem caps, FET, old tire disposal was $293 per tire. The base sale price was $200 per tire.

I don't remember what the MSRP was. I think the sale was applicable to the FS560 Plus line of tires, not just the 255 X 70R X 22.5” size. Not saying that all of the FS560's were $200 but that proportional, percentage-based discounts were being offered on that line of tires.

I'm still happy with mine 5,500 miles later.

FWIW
Be careful with your tire sizes. The previous owner changed size from 275/70 22.5 to 255/70 22.5. They would not carry the weight that I have in the coach now, so I just replaced two brand new tires with 275/70 22.5 Goodyears. They did buy the other tires back but not for what I spent in new tires. Watch your weight ratings and weigh your coach it only costs $9 at a CAT scale.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We RV owners are sensitive about the age of our tires. When I bought our motorhome, the tires were 5 years old and looked like brand new. I checked the manufacturer's data on the tires, and indeed the tires had almost no wear.

Because the tires were already 5 years old, and I didn't know their history, I decided that for my peace of mind, I wanted to ride on brand new tires.

My tire dealer, used to dealing with truck people, had no understanding of my concern regarding age of tire. When he saw my tires, he was eager to get my tires so he could have 'premium' used tires to supply to his 'city truck' customers.

Anyway, to make a long story real short. After giving me a really good deal on new tires, installed, Dynabeads installed, etc., he gave me 125.00 a tire for my old 'new' tires, which he said 'most of his city truck people would give their eye teeth to get'.

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsrule View Post
Be careful with your tire sizes. The previous owner changed size from 275/70 22.5 to 255/70 22.5. They would not carry the weight that I have in the coach now, so I just replaced two brand new tires with 275/70 22.5 Goodyears. They did buy the other tires back but not for what I spent in new tires. Watch your weight ratings and weigh your coach it only costs $9 at a CAT scale.
I should have been more clear. I was not suggesting that JDT, or anyone else, buy 255X70RX22.5 tires. The size was mentioned only as a frame of reference for the $293 out-the-door price paid for my tires. I expect tires of different sizes to carry different price tags. I also expect each individual to determine what size tire is appropriate for his requirements and purchase accordingly.

I've weighed my coach several times. I know that the tires on my rig, individually and collectively, are not supporting weight greater than their rated capacity.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
No slur intended just wanted to warn folks to watch the weight ratings too. The difference in brands and sizes in some cases has consequences in the weight the tires can safely carry.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #19
JDT

Just got to Branson yesterday, a little over 200 mile trip from our home. It may be a justification for spending the money, but the wife and I both thought the tires were more forgiving on bumps and much less noisy. There was hardly any wind and I thought the tracking was improved. At the very least, I had more confidence in the safety of the tires. I wll probably get the other 4 for the rear this fall.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #20

Glad to hear that you are satisfied with the improved ride and handling of the new tires. It is amazing that everyone who gets away from the Goodyear tire, says how much better it is, yet many stay with the same harsh ride, squirmy handling and erosion possibilities that Goodyear is known for. I know I won't be using Goodyear again.
The Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
There was a comment on Nitrogen in the tires. Is anyone using this on a motorhome? I put Nitrogen in my cars tires and notice very little difference other than they hold pressure well. I seldom have to add any air. This was supposedly one of the advantages.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #22

Have you ever looked to see what the makeup of air is? You are paying to have just 22% of your tire air change to nitrogen, as the composition of air is 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon. If done properly, the tire has to be purged multiple times and refilled each time with pure nitrogen, to get 100% nitrogen in your tires, which most place do NOT do. Unless you carry a special tank of nitrogen with you, anytime you add air you defeated the whole process. Now back to the question, is it worth the extra cost and inconvenience, that is a personal decision, but in my mind, no.
The Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I did this as an experiment on a Toyota Prius. The benefits touted are less loss of air pressure, tires run cooler, and better gas mileage. I was using this car for work where I put on about 2000 miles a month running all over West Texas. the Prius is a car that has very good computer monitoring of its gas mileage and the only thing I can conclude from my test was, Yes I believe the tires held air better with the nitrogen. So with that in mind The Texan is probably correct the extra cost is not worth it.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Here is my opinion. Yes, nitrogen is known to be dry so you are not worried about somebody inflating your tires with damp or wet air from a air compessor that has two gallons of water in the bottom. Why do they say tires will run cooler if they are inflated with nitrogen to the same pressure as with regular air? Often wondered about that. Now here is the one that gets me.....nitrogen does not expand at the same rate as air out of a compressor, it expands less. So given that, the tire pressures we use are based on what the regular air expands to when it is heated from driving down the road. Since nitrogen does not expand as much as compressor air then that means the tires may now be uninflated going down the road and damage the tires.

Now the stability or nitrogen compared to compressor air is why we use nitrogen in airplane tires and race car tires. In airplanes you can take off in 100* weather and land in 20* weather so nitrogen stabilizes the pressure in the tire for temperature changes. If you tires got hot on takeoff and expanded then you don't want to climb to altitude because they will now be way over inflated and may damage the tire. Race cars use it because it is easier to adjust because it doesn't change pressure as much with temp changes.

Does somebody supply the new inflation pressures for motorhome tires running with nitrogen?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Here is my opinion. Yes, nitrogen is known to be dry so you are not worried about somebody inflating your tires with damp or wet air from a air compessor that has two gallons of water in the bottom. Why do they say tires will run cooler if they are inflated with nitrogen to the same pressure as with regular air? Often wondered about that. Now here is the one that gets me.....nitrogen does not expand at the same rate as air out of a compressor, it expands less. So given that, the tire pressures we use are based on what the regular air expands to when it is heated from driving down the road. Since nitrogen does not expand as much as compressor air then that means the tires may now be uninflated going down the road and damage the tires.

Now the stability or nitrogen compared to compressor air is why we use nitrogen in airplane tires and race car tires. In airplanes you can take off in 100* weather and land in 20* weather so nitrogen stabilizes the pressure in the tire for temperature changes. If you tires got hot on takeoff and expanded then you don't want to climb to altitude because they will now be way over inflated and may damage the tire. Race cars use it because it is easier to adjust because it doesn't change pressure as much with temp changes.

Does somebody supply the new inflation pressures for motorhome tires running with nitrogen?
Maybe someone with a pressure monitoring system can share how much the air pressure changes when driving? If I check my pressure cold (that's 92 degrees here in TX) and it's say 105psi, then travel down the road for an hour, how hot do the tires get and what pressure would they be up to with air in the tires???