Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New to me 04 Diplomat

Hi All

I am in the process of buying an 04 Diplomat PDQ . I am upgrading from my 94 bounder 37x. Is there anything special I should be aware of on this coach? It has about 67K on it.

Also I have yet to see pictures of the unit as it has not arrived at dealer. I went to Monocos site but they dont have the 04 diplomat brochure they have every other year. With that in mind does anyone have an 04 with the green color exterior that they can send me a picture of? I have seen every other color but the one I am buying . Any pictures or brochures would be greatly appreciated. Please email them to cmeun@optonline.net

Thanks

Chuck
ChuckNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco does not show the 04 but here is the 05 but not sure if the 04 was full body paint.
http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...05Diplomat.pdf
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
04 diplomat

We have a 04 diplomat 38-PST 3 slides, the 04 was the first year that monaco increased the interior height, and it has full body paint with clearcoat. Monaco put a lot of extras in the 04 to upgrade the coach. Our 04 is blue, and is the same as an 05 model. One thing to watch for is the tire size, Monaco installed 255/70's/22.5 on the 04 model dips, and that tire is very marginal on weight carrying. With 67k miles see if the shocks have been changed, as the 04's came with monroes, and are prone to wear out around 40k miles. We also had a 99 38a diplomat and loved it ( even with the 275 hp ISB. The 04 has the 8.3 ISC with 6speed allison. If you have any questions feel free to email me off line and I will do my best to answer your questions.
Gordie Kaltz
04 Dip 38 PST
avfordguy@yahoo.com
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This might be it

2004 Monaco DIPLOMAT - Class A | RVWeb.com
Galvanizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 04 was basically the same as the 05 with the exception of some model/floorplans were not available in 05 that were available in 04.
http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...05Diplomat.pdf

Gordie Kaltz
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
thanks all any of you have issues with the clear coast or fiberglass checking that they speak of in this forum?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
We have a 04 diplomat 38-PST 3 slides, the 04 was the first year that monaco increased the interior height, and it has full body paint with clearcoat. Monaco put a lot of extras in the 04 to upgrade the coach. Our 04 is blue, and is the same as an 05 model. One thing to watch for is the tire size, Monaco installed 255/70's/22.5 on the 04 model dips, and that tire is very marginal on weight carrying. With 67k miles see if the shocks have been changed, as the 04's came with monroes, and are prone to wear out around 40k miles. We also had a 99 38a diplomat and loved it ( even with the 275 hp ISB. The 04 has the 8.3 ISC with 6speed allison. If you have any questions feel free to email me off line and I will do my best to answer your questions.
Gordie Kaltz
04 Dip 38 PST
avfordguy@yahoo.com

Are you sure about the interior height? The broshure that someone found in a post below shows the height at 78" in 05 it looks like it was 81"

Also what Tire size does the 05 have?

Thanks

Chuck
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the 04 has full body paint/clearcoat, our 04 Dip shows no signs of any paint or fiberglass defects. Ours was built in Indiana, sold in CA and has spent most of it's life in hot climates.
Last owner was in TN. We are the 3rd owner. The 04/05 are the same, as interior height goes at 81" and was raised from 78" in the 03 model year.
Gordie Kaltz
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I also have just aquired an 04 Diplomat. Thanks for the word on the shocks Gordie. Mine looks to be in pretty good shape. The Sharp microwave is shutting off after 59 seconds, which I have heard is a problem that can be fixed. Anyone know the fix for that? Any other issues with an 04 Dip?

Mine is a lifelong Florida RV. We are the third owners.
NotNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNow View Post
I also have just aquired an 04 Diplomat. Thanks for the word on the shocks Gordie. Mine looks to be in pretty good shape. The Sharp microwave is shutting off after 59 seconds, which I have heard is a problem that can be fixed. Anyone know the fix for that? Any other issues with an 04 Dip?

Mine is a lifelong Florida RV. We are the third owners.

My 2006 Diplomat has 41,000 miles. I am the 3rd owner.

Seems the shocks may be a bit tired from the ride but hard to know
as this is my first heavy coach. From the color I think they
are Monroes.

How does one check them?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #11

If they are monroes, no need to check them, just replace them. My 07 neptune i replaced with bilstein at 14,000 miles. They were like rubber bands, shot. My 03 southwind on workhorse chassis had them. I replaced them at 5000 miles and same deal, shot. I do not believe the monroes are heavy duty enough for motorhomes. Just my. 02 cents worth.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I Also had the problem with the Sharp microwave shutting off at 59 seconds. You will find the problem to be the damper door and damper switch. I got the parts from Sears Parts Online.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinecpi View Post
I Also had the problem with the Sharp microwave shutting off at 59 seconds. You will find the problem to be the damper door and damper switch. I got the parts from Sears Parts Online.
Thanks, alpinecpi!