Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New to me 2001 HR Scepter

I just purchased a 2001 38' HR Scepter today. It was so clean and had obviously been so well maintained and taken care of we could not pass it up. Our dream was to buy a newer Journey or Meridian but after looking at this one and driving it we are not disappointed at all. I posted a while back trying to determine whether to buy a newer gas rig or an older diesel. Several people suggested the gas rig as it will get the job done but many more seemed to lean to using a diesel in good shape and fix it up like you want and make your own. That is the route we chose as we do plan to travel extensively and DW needs something that rides very well due to a neck issue. I will most likely be visiting this forum frequently to search for information or to ask questions about different components or systems. It is a big step up for us to go from a 24' Class C to this but I think we will love it.

Alan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Congrats. I hope you get many enjoyable miles on it. Now it's time to change your profile and avatar and post some pics of the new ride.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

Congratulations and enjoy the ride. Hope you have many safe and trouble free miles. Whatever ?'s you have there are many wonderful and helpful folks on here just waiting to help fellow rvers.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Congrats. I hope you get many enjoyable miles on it. Now it's time to change your profile and avatar and post some pics of the new ride.
Cliff tail, you are correct but I am going to have to wait until we actually get to drive it home. I am having them add some things like washer and dryer and some other stuff and it will all depend on how long it takes to get it. I will get it changed though, and thanks for the reminder. Had not even thought about that.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Congratulations and enjoy the ride. Hope you have many safe and trouble free miles. Whatever ?'s you have there are many wonderful and helpful folks on here just waiting to help fellow rvers. Chad
Chad, thank you for the offer and when I get lost I will definitely ask everyone for help. The MH I had now seems so simple after looking closer at the HR. Wow, there are a lot of systems to learn on that thing.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
I just purchased a 2001 38' HR Scepter today. It was so clean and had obviously been so well maintained and taken care of we could not pass it up. Our dream was to buy a newer Journey or Meridian but after looking at this one and driving it we are not disappointed at all. I posted a while back trying to determine whether to buy a newer gas rig or an older diesel. Several people suggested the gas rig as it will get the job done but many more seemed to lean to using a diesel in good shape and fix it up like you want and make your own. That is the route we chose as we do plan to travel extensively and DW needs something that rides very well due to a neck issue. I will most likely be visiting this forum frequently to search for information or to ask questions about different components or systems. It is a big step up for us to go from a 24' Class C to this but I think we will love it. Alan
Here is a copy of the brochure if you don't have one:

http://holidayrambler.com/StaticFile.../01scepter.pdf

Congratulations on a very nice unit.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Here is a copy of the brochure if you don't have one: http://holidayrambler.com/StaticFile.../01scepter.pdf Congratulations on a very nice unit.
Thanks Steve. This thing has everything I could imagine including the window sticker showing all the standard features and all the options it was ordered with shipping charges and final price. There is STACK of documents and records in the cabinet along with every receipt from every campground it has ever been in. We were impressed. A quick look through the box turned up a great many pictures of the previous owners with keepsake photos I plan on getting back to them. I am sure they didn't realize what they were leaving behind.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on your purchase. Hope you have many funfilled miles ahead of you. Now PICTURES PLEASE!

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Steve. This thing has everything I could imagine including the window sticker showing all the standard features and all the options it was ordered with shipping charges and final price. There is STACK of documents and records in the cabinet along with every receipt from every campground it has ever been in. We were impressed. A quick look through the box turned up a great many pictures of the previous owners with keepsake photos I plan on getting back to them. I am sure they didn't realize what they were leaving behind.
That's great Alan. Very nice to get the personal items back to previous owner. Hopefully there are maintenance records in that stack of paper work. You can also use the returning of pics as an entrance to asking any specific questions you might have.

Good luck with your coach.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats and best of travels. Your upgrade was minor compared to our jump from pop-up to 38 foot Diplomat. :-)
obwahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by obwahn View Post
Congrats and best of travels. Your upgrade was minor compared to our jump from pop-up to 38 foot Diplomat. :-)
Wow! That is a big jump! DW and I are talking of replacing the mattress and never thought to bring a tape measure. As we have not taken delivery yet and the dealership is almost two hours away probably not going to happen until we pick it up. I assume it is a queen as that is what I think it is. The mattress in now the dealer classified as an RV queen which for some reason does not even cover the pedestal. Besides, I prefer to get my own mattress no matter how clean this one looks. I assume an 'RV queen' is smaller than a normal queen.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Wow! That is a big jump! DW and I are talking of replacing the mattress and never thought to bring a tape measure. As we have not taken delivery yet and the dealership is almost two hours away probably not going to happen until we pick it up. I assume it is a queen as that is what I think it is. The mattress in now the dealer classified as an RV queen which for some reason does not even cover the pedestal. Besides, I prefer to get my own mattress no matter how clean this one looks. I assume an 'RV queen' is smaller than a normal queen.
More than likely your coach originally had a full queen which is 60"x80". There is an RV queen which is 60"x75" but Monaco generally used the full sized ones.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #13

Thanks Steve. I assumed it would be a full queen but one never knows. I found it odd it would have an RV queen in it.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Alan, we must be skanks, we are using the queen mattress that our 03 came with. We just put a really comfy mattress pad on it and away we went. I like it better than the one in our house. ;-)
obwahn is offline   Reply With Quote