RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
Chad,

I agree... not a Prevost ride or even an 8/10 bag ride, but much improved.

As I said before, I don't have excess play on my steering and have much trouble with wind... although maybe I haven't been in a strong enough wind to know. Just curious... how many miles on your coach? I wonder if it's a function of wear. I have just under 20,000 miles.
Ron I have 24000 miles on mine. I had an alignment done at josam's in orlando done back in july. It helped with the straight line tracking. Really helped with steering wheel being smooth and overall big benefit over previous. But it did nothing when the wind is blowing. Leaving orlando in July coming east on interstate 4 I was amazed at the change in drive. Turned onto interstate 95 north and thought something happened in steering. I could hardly keep it on the road. Stopped at rest area for lunch got out and felt pretty good breeze. Stayed same way all the way up 95 til sc we got off on 17 north yo charleston. Back to great driving since many trees lining roads and very little winds. The wind just makes a completely 180 difference in the drive.

Chad

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I also had trouble with the wind, but then I invested in RoadMaster's (sold by Source Engineering) Chrome Molly anti-sway bars. Now if the wheels are touching the ground the "BOX" is vertical. de Sanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #31

Ron
I agree that the REK made the ride better, but mostly it stopped the porpoising and that makes it worthwhile for me. I guess its a bit like hitting yourself over the head with a hammer--it feels so good when you stop. But after a while you start noticing things you didn't care much about while that hammer was doing its thing. I am not trying to get a cool new look with bigger tires. If we could have found a tire that hold the weight of our coach at a lower psi, it would have been preferable. But we could not find anything between our oem 255 and the Bridgestone 295/75R, so its what we got. While the ride and bumps are significantly improved--probably more so than the REK (which I am not bashing at all) its not like we don't feel the bumps--its just not at the level of feeling them in your teeth. Driving down I-95 yesterday through SC and GA, there were plenty of potholes and bumps I did not like at all, but for the most part its more a noise and rattle of dishes (or whatever it is--as I cannot find it) than rattling my teeth as before getting the new tires. I should add that its not as if we spent so much money on the tire change that I'm likely to whitewash any negatives. In fact, we spent less money on the 295/75R Bridgestones than OEM Michelins via FMCA, and it was time (5-6 yrs) for new tires regardless of miles anyway.
I rode in my friend's tag axle Camelot, but that's apples and oranges and just the weight differential would make a big difference, not to mention ten shocks and ten air bags versus four of each. The Camelot, not surprisingly, rides better. I could make a comment about a silk purse, but our Cayman has so many good points now that we have made it safe and the ride acceptable. The only area I believe we could still possibly make an improvement would be the top heavy rolling upon exiting, for instance, a shopping center parking lot while making a turn. I am curious as to whether the Source Engineering Comfort Ride Valve might help:Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Has anyone had one installed?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #32

Frank when you replaced tires to the 295.75.22.5 bridgestones did you do front and year or just year? I now you suggested to me to wait for REK check out ride then make decision to upsize tires, but, I am due for new tires on rear only (7yrs) so it would do no harm to upsize. The new fronts (2014) are OEM 255.70.22.5. Your thoughts

Hurk
2007 Monaco Cayman 38
Vancouver BC
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #33

Hurk
We replaced all six tires with the Bridgestone 295/75R22.5 Ecopia tires (they say say better mileage). I am no engineer or mechanic but I would not run different sized tires on our coach. Maybe somebody with actual knowledge will chime in and advise?
Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Hurk
We replaced all six tires with the Bridgestone 295/75R22.5 Ecopia tires (they say say better mileage). I am no engineer or mechanic but I would not run different sized tires on our coach. Maybe somebody with actual knowledge will chime in and advise?

It's ok to use different size tires on the steer, drive or tag axle. Each axle should have the same size tires and be inflated to the same psi. The tires on the drive axle should be as close as possible in age and wear so the rotation will match up.

Many coaches come with larger tires on the steer axle from the coach builder.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote