RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #1

I am going to be purchasing a used DP to full time in within the next year. I have narrowed my search down to the '05 Endeavor or Diplomat. I have gone to this year for value, 400 ISL Cummins, side opening bay doors, and larger mirrors, just to name a few.

So, my question to the group is this, am I looking at a good year? The wife likes the '05 and before due to the windown over the kitchen counter. And the '06 and newer also had the single panavision windshield with some not so good stories from owners regarding breakage. I would appreciate all to chime in with ANY comments good or bad about these two units. I appreciate your time.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #2

I am going to be purchasing a used DP to full time in within the next year. I have narrowed my search down to the '05 Endeavor or Diplomat. I have gone to this year for value, 400 ISL Cummins, side opening bay doors, and larger mirrors, just to name a few.

So, my question to the group is this, am I looking at a good year? The wife likes the '05 and before due to the windown over the kitchen counter. And the '06 and newer also had the single panavision windshield with some not so good stories from owners regarding breakage. I would appreciate all to chime in with ANY comments good or bad about these two units. I appreciate your time.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #3

I can't comment on the coach, but you will love the power.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
JDT

I can only get close as I have an 05 Ambassador, one notch down, but with some similarities. Both have the RR8R chassis, which I think is great. My coach handles very well. The Endeavor/Dip will have nicer amenities but the biggest difference is the 400, as opposed to my 330. Can't help much there as I never drove one.

There were some issues with the side opening bay doors getting out of line whenever the coach is leveled. Monaco came out with a new latch kit that tended to keep them aligned. It did help as I have not had any issues since having them installed. Also, the interior height was raised 3" over the 04's and raised another 3" with the 06's, if I remember correctly. I do like the extra height compared to our first coach. Hope this helps and maybe you'll get some better responses.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
FDchief.....There were a couple of biggies that changed from 05-06. The Panavision windshield as you mentioned and they went from the multi piece aluminum roof to the one piece fiberglass roof. They also added auto-leveling. On the 05's, only the main bay door opened sideways. On the 06 and above, all the doors opened sideway.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Greg,
The '06 Diplomat and Endeavor series had a few issues with the Panaview windshield. Mostly lifting on one corner and a few that stress cracked. Ours lifted on the upper road side and I had it resealed. I no longer use the autoleveler and am convinced that is the reason ours lifted out. The hydraulic levelers are very abrupt and tend to lurch when first engaged with the ground. While the view is great with the Panaview I'm not a huge fan. It lets in a LOT of light and heat. I used the shades pretty much constantly while driving and recently added window tint to the top 16". I also added a full sunscreen and the AC's can now handle even the Texas heat. I have to admit that camping at the edge of a cliff at Big Bend Nat Park the Panaview pays for itself.

I don't think there is a lot of differences between the '05 and '06 that have not been mentioned. As another posted mentioned the ISL is a great engine. Pulling Wolf Creek Pass or the long grade from Phoenix to Flagstaff is no sweat at all with the ISL.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
Greg,
The '06 Diplomat and Endeavor series had a few issues with the Panaview windshield. ..snip... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>SP98, Any idea why this would be limited to the Endeavor/Diplomat line? What did they do new for 2007 that eliminate the issue?
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mbl Cndo,
Windshield issues were not limited to the Diplomat and Endeavor. When I talked to MCC Tech support I was told they were among the fewest incidents of stress cracking and corner popping. For all I know he may have been feeding me a happy pill. I've read of windshield issues on Dip/End but it seems like the biggest problem was with early '06 Camelots and Scepters and heard that some of them had structural work done at one of the service centers.
I don't specifically know what MCC did to resolve the problem in the '08's but the '08's have a different front cap and I suspect the redisign probably addressed the problem.
I have had zero problems with the windshild since I ceased auto leveling and have read of similar results on other boards.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There were some issues with the side opening bay doors getting out of line whenever the coach is leveled. Monaco came out with a new latch kit that tended to keep them aligned. It did help as I have not had any issues since having them installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JDT,

Can you tell me more about the latch kit? This is the first I have heard of a solution to the bay door problems being out of wack when the levelers are down.

I have a 06 endeavor and his been one of my issues. Thank you very much.

Ed
Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #10

FD,
I have a o6 Endeavor and for the most part like it very much now that most of the bugs are worked out. The 400 is very nice to have although I have not hit any major grades in my travels yet. True, the front ac seems to be undersized for the space and amount of winshieled glass but on can always put up a sun blocker. I have not had any problem with the windshield and I do use the auto level which now works better after my left rear jack was replaced. The ride is very good but will change out the shocks sometime down the road. The amount of storage space below sure did help sell us on a Holiday Rambler. The extra 3 inches interior height makes a huge difference.
Monoco tech support has been just great. This is our first motorhome but so far as been a good choice for us.

Ed
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mbl Cndo:
What did they do new for 2007 that eliminate the issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mbl Cndo,

I don't know that the 07 Dip/Endeavor is any different than the 06 in that regard. I have looked an an 08 and the front cap is indeed very different. I can tell you that I don't seem to have any windshield problem with my 07 Dip and I have leveled in some extremly unlevel sites. Like Sixpack, however, I refuse to use the automatic leveler any more. It is very "jerky" making abrupt small movements. I too believe that it has been a large part of the windshield problem. I find that I can level just as quickly doing it manually, and I can do a much smoother job of it. Another reason I like to do it manually is that I want to be sure that the front jack goes down first to insure that I maintain a "pivot point" up front at all times before leveling side to side.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #12

Thanks to all that so far have filled me in on the differences between the years of the Endeavor and the Dip. Aren't forums great!

DiplomatDon mentioned that they went to a full fiberglass roof in '06. On that note, how are the seams between the wall and the roof assembly. Every Spring I have to check and reseal these points on my current MH. Has anyone had any particular problems with either style roofs, and how about maintenace?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #13

The roof anad walls are sealed to the roof radius (must be alulm). Up to this point I have had no issues what so ever with the seal. Matter of fact I was in a major hail storm last year and the motorhome is now in for repairs. The roof radius had to be replaced on both sides due to big dents and I was able to see the roof before being sealed after the radius was replaced. Looks like the sealing will be very straight forward. Motorhome is at the paint shop right now and I hope to see before before the roof is sealed once again.
Again, I have had no problems...by the way I have felt no give in the roof what so ever when I have walked on it...200+ lbs.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
JDT

Reply to Ed:

I would suggest calling a Monaco tech or your dealer, but my dealer's service dept didn't know anything about them. I took my coach to Elkhart a year ago last September and had the misaligning doors on my list. The technician installed a new latching system that has a V shaped protrusion that fits into a slot he made. While not perfect it did help keeping them aligned after I level the coach. Even if they do get a litle out of kilter with some severe leveling I can still open and close them with no problem.

I also bought 2 small sliding latches from Lowe's and put them on the upper corner of the 2 rear doors. I use them when traveling as I had this fear of what would happen to the rear door if it came unlatched at 65 mph. As you know, it is only held in place with the closing of the front door. I think the 06's and above have all the doors opening with the latch to the rear, a much better design in my opinion.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote