Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

New to the site! Monaco Dynasty help

Hi all! Its been a few years since we have owned an RV but, looking to get back into another. I have a really nice 1995 Monaco Dynasty with a 300 Cummins in it. Coach is super clean with 97,000 miles. Looking for some general info on this model ( pro/cons, mechanical issues etc).Before I dive into our nest coach, I would really like to get some feedback from the people that have experience with them. Price seems right but, I don't want to get into a problem child. Thank you in advance!
MonacoMarc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #2

We had a '94 Dynasty Baron, 38' long. It was a great coach! We traded it in '05 for a new Dynasty, but only because the new one had some features that were really important to us.

The only two things we didn't like about the '94 were the bathroom arrangement (the pot was virtually in the hallway) and the lack of slides (the living room was pretty tight. Other than those two things, we would have gladly been still driving it, today.

I really don't recall any issues we ever had with the coach.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco RV

Just a few 'off the cuff' remarks to consider. I am by no means an expert. We have a similar vintage rig...1998.

1) Coach is wider than some of the newer ones with slides. Not a problem but something to be aware of when parking or if you drive a lot of narrow, narrow roads. Can raise your blood pressure :-)
2) Resale value typically less due to no slides; we have plenty of room without slides(just sold a rig with 2 slides for this one with no slides). I liked the idea of 'less places to leak'.
3) Roof is one-piece fiberglass and not EPDM aka "rubber" as on most newer rigs. Again (in my view) less opportunity for damage or leaks - but never had problems with the just-sold rig with the EPDM, either.
4) 8 air bags. Nice for ride, but expensive if you need to replace them (majority have 4 bags; some have 10).
5) RR8S chassis semi-monocoque with steel frame is awesome for strength and durability.
6) Shock absorbers: expensive to replace because rig has 8 (4 per axle)...again, majority of rigs seem to have 4 (2 per axle) so this doubles expense.
7) Engine/transmission is one of the best (again, my opinion)...as 'bulletproof' as they come.
8) Mileage is not something to worry about; the engine should go 300k plus if maintained. As in most RV situations, I think that aging will get you before mileage does.
9) Side radiator is good design for those who do maintenance; much easier to service engine, clean radiator, etc. (I just did alternator work....a bear on a rear-radiator engine)
7) Final comment: rig is older and you will find lots and lots of rubber parts, etc. that need replacing due to age (regardless of miles)

We love our rig and are very happy with it. Having owned a shameful number of them through the years, this one has about the same number of problems with it that most seemed to...always seems to be something or other that needs tinkering or repair (but I secretly enjoy this part!)

Best of luck with your decisions.....
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
YC1

Can't contribute much to your specific coach but welcome to the forum. This is a great place if you have any issues.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Welcome aboard! Dynasty's are great coaches.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Thank you all for the information. Our first coach was a 1996 Safari Serengeti. overall, it was a nice coach but, we didn't research very well and kind of jumped into it. I want to make sure that I do my research this time. Sounds like I would be doing okay with this one.
We don't travel across country but will be making a few weekend trips for travel baseball with our son as well as a few racing venues. Slides are not a big concern with us as it will typically be 2 adults and our 10 yr. old son.

Anything that I should really look for when I go and look it the coach?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Tire age is the first thing I'd look at.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #8

It's 20 years old, anything that hasn't broke yet and been replaced will. Plan to set aside about 20% in the first year and 10% thereafter. Better be good at troubleshooting and fixing stuff or find a good dealer that is.

That said, Monaco's are among the best.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The early coaches were Allison 4 speed transmissions. Somewhere in 90's they switched to a 6 speed Allison MD3060. The first slideouts were around 97, but rare. 98 is the first year for electronic controlled engine (Cummins ISC vs C8.3L).

Unless already converted, it will have a Duo Therm 4-button thermostat that is problematic.

Our 97 is a 1-piece EPDM rubber roof where the newer coaches are 1-piece fiberglass. Regardless, check it closely for leaks on the roof and around the windows.

Be prepared to spend around $10k and lots of TLC updating/repairing things. If it needs tires, that will be $4-5K alone.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have owned a '95 Dynasty Baron with a 6CTA-8.3 liter & Allisson MD 3060 for the last 5 years. It only has 54K for mileage due to PO leaving it parked for 9 years. It's a great coach and has plenty of power. We get right 10 mpg.

The interior is nearly perfect, we only had to replace the water filter under the sink, the fridge (probley because it sat for 9 years), and cure the warp in the top of dining table.

Since it sat outside in high desert heat for those 9 years the clear coat is cracked and flaking off, but when clean it looks pretty good from 20' and beyond.

I serviced everything when purchased engine, trans, lubed chassis, repacked wheel bearings, belts, and serviced dash AC

We have had to replace the front shocks due to oem bushings going bad. The front 4 air bags were replaced because they were weather checked pretty bad. I have the Goodyear part # if you need it. If you try to buy from Monaco they are about $400...$90 if you buy them from anyone else.

I also had a problem with the front roof AC and had a friend checked out PC board and he found loose solder joints and now it works great.

Had an exhaust leak... it took two weekends and & $200 to fix doing the work myself. Not that hard of a repair. I also replace the vacum generator for the dash ac... it controls the dash vents ($30) and Mac valve for the step cover ($20). I also had to put 3/4" brass ball valve in the heater water line to keep hot water out of the heater core when running dash ac.

Additionally, I had replace the front step motor ($26) at Autozone.

My coach has the wag the tail issue that causes the coach to wonder all over the road like most of these coaches. I have added Source Engineering Comfort control valves for stability (a good investment IMHO) and a Steer Safe for blow
out protection.

I still want replace all the suspension bushings (20) with the Atro bus bushings, add cross bars, front watts link, and adjust steering box. When all these tasks are completed this will be the handling coach ever.

With a the exception of servicing the trans I have done all this work myself (I'm 66 years young) with just hand tools, so if you are a handy kind of a guy you can save yourself alot of money.

I hope this doesn't sound to gloom and doom because it really is a great motorhome.

Steve
Old 02-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #11

Thank you again for all of you comments. One question I do have is Pricing. NADA seems to be of no help when it comes to RV's as I feel that without every detail and option, i'm not going to get an accurate asessment. What is a fair fair market price for a 38' Dynasty with no slide? It seems to be very well taken care of and has 98000 miles on it. Individual did buy new. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
$15000 to $25000 and at the high end coach would have to have been garaged.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #13

Dynasty

I looked for a long time, talked to consignment dealers (Some are very helpful with information) I looked at the "older smooth side" coaches but I opted for a 2000 with one slide out. I think they buyer market for NON slide is pretty small so I would work the Price hard.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #14

Thanks for the info all. I will see what I can do on the price. they are asking $22,500 for the coach but, I know that I can get it for $20,000. I'm thinking that if I can get it for $18,000 , I put myself in a position to have any of the necessary repairs taken care of and not be deep in the hole.

Tags
monaco