Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Newbie about to buy 2001 Monaco Diplomat LE 40PBD

Brand spanking new member, forgive my stumbling, my apologies in advance.

First off, you guys are AWESOME! I cannot find a better resource for everything RV, can't thank you guys enough!

We are planning on full timing ASAP, pulling my Uber car behind us, the beautiful wonderful wife is a social media marketer and meditation instructor, getting classes going at different mobile spots is a goal, but I digress!

What should we keep an eye out for in a:

2001 Monaco Diplomat LE 40PBD
91k, looks real clean, has a diesel generator, Cummins/Allison drivetrain.

Just wanted you guys to weigh in before we pulled the trigger on the deal.

Thanks in advance!
Tilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Age of the tires , and service records.
If you haven't already found it , there is a " Buyers Check List " available in the "Files " drop box ; near the left of the dark blue bar , across the page , under the Google search box.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Being this is your first RV, I would suggest that you get a certified RV mechanic to over the Monaco. This will identify any problems you might not see, plus it will give you comfort to know you found a beauty. The cost is well worth it.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

I agree with everything they have said. We are very "green" at the rv thing. We spent more then two years looking/researching rv's. We found a 2001 Monaco Windsor 40' with 60000 miles on it 300 hours on the gen. We checked everything. Climb on the roof, look at the ceiling in the rv for water stains, make then start everything on the rv. Check age of tires, bring cell phone to make a video of all things you are looking at. We spent 5 hours doing this. I figured if they did not like me doing this, I would leave and buy somewhere else. We found the previous owners had books,files,records of everything they ever did on the unit.
On pickup day we brought a video camera with us to record the 'how to do this" process.
Good luck.
grimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Just saying, look for leaks inside, leaks at Eng/transm., ! Work EVERYTHING 3 times, . Ask for maint., repair records after you check for Re- Calls! If your happy sleep on it and check it again. Maint., expires as well as tires and batteries, check the dates make sure they up to date.
By checking everything , means tailpipe to headlights. Toilet to CO2 sensor etc.,water pressure, tv antennae........Lp heating, ac, ......bidet....ice maker.....Roof.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs. I can't comment on the Diplomat, not being familiar with it.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Hi Tilo; Everyone here is to help you with your decision to make sure you pick out a coach that will not have unexpected, high cost fixes. Ditto to what everyone who has responded so far. The Diplomat should have a Cummins 330 ISC engine. Ask if the lift pump for the diesel fuel to the CAPPS system is original, or has been replaced. They have been known to leak with the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel. When I bought our new to us 2001 Windsor in 2015, I did find out from the previous owner that the lift pump had just been replaced. Look for a wet starter on the engine. The lift pump is located right above the starter. Just one of many things to mention. Good luck with your decision.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Being this is your first RV, I would suggest that you get a certified RV mechanic to over the Monaco. This will identify any problems you might not see, plus it will give you comfort to know you found a beauty. The cost is well worth it.

Happy Trails!!!
Completely agree!! In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants - Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service) would reveal any hidden problems.

Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

The more you know, the better your decision can be.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also check the seals on the roof as well as all the other posted things
house2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco diplomat, newbie