Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #1

Newbie need help with generator start

Hello, new to the site although I lurked for about a year trying to gain knowledge basics. Based on a ton of info garnered here I recently purchased a 2007 Monaco Diplomat from an IRV2 member actually.

First shakedown outing went well with only 1 self induced glitch (slides will not retract with engine running). Got back about 4 weeks ago and coach is on the storage lot. Went by today to exercise the generator, no luck as it would not start from any of the 3 locations. On the Remote Panel there was nothing displayed for inverter, could not get a tank test, etc. Based on this I assumed I've got a battery issue. Chassis batteries were fine as the coach started up no problem.

Quick google search and I attempted to start the generator with help of battery boost to no avail. Tested the coach batteries and they are in fact discharged. I have 4 6V batteries hooked up in series. Questions

1. I assume the only power source to start the generator is the house batteries?

2. I have 20 amp service available via a 100 ft extension cord, after I remedy the current situation, would this be a viable way to keep the house batteries charged. Would it be a better option to put a trickle charger on the batteries. I guess it would require 2 for 4 batteries.

3. Should I have utilized the battery disconnect switch after last outing? I must have left something on to drain the batteries that fast.

4. I realize the generator, even if I could start, at this point would need a lengthy run to charge. Suggestions on getting the system up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm still drinking from a fire hose as far as the learning curve goes

Dave
iaddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

You should use a trickle charger and also use the battery disconnect. For the immediate problem, you will want to run the converter/charger for at least 4 hours. It should make no difference if you power it from the generator, or shore power. After that the trickle charger will slowly bring the batteries up the rest of the way. Use the battery disconnect when you shut down the converter/charger.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

I agree with Joel. Just a minor correction to your original post, you do not have four 6 volt batteries connected in series, that would add up to 24 volts. What you have is two sets of six volt batteries with each set hooked in parallel for power handling still at six volts. The the two sets are hooked in series to give you 12 volts. If you use a 12 volt battery charger you hook it to the main outgoing positive and negative post and charge the whole system as though it was a single 12 volt battery.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the information and education. I will attempt to charge the batteries with a charger hooked up as suggested. Regards the 20 amp shore power, have read all kinds of warnings regards 20 amp service and sensitive electronic devices within the coach. I don't plan on turning them on, should need the service just to charge/maintain the coach batteries, any red flags in my thinking? Thanks again.

Dave
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #5

Don't know that the concerns are about using the 20amp shore power to charge the batteries. Have run the coach on 20amp for months at a time.

Hook up the 20amp and let the internal charger/inverter charge the house batteries. Be certain to shut down all possible systems in the coach before hooking up (refer, fans, lights etc.). The Magnum charger will bring up the house batteries faster and safer than any external charger.

When I leave my coach for more than a few days not hooked to shore power I disconnect the batteries using the disconnect switch. The coach has a number of parasitic loads that cannot be turned off (propane alarm, monoxide alarm, etc.) that will eventually drain the batteries.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

Two things, probably related.

#1: Holding the boost switch, should have given enough power to start the generator from the chassis batteries.

#2: Once the engine was running, the engine alternator should have been sending some charge to the coach batteries.

I do not know what kind or where the interconnect solenoid is, but it seems like it is not working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my Onan 5500 generator I have to press the bottom of the start switch until the light in the switch comes on.

That tells me it is primed.

Then I press the top of the switch to start it.

What brand and model generator do you have?

I don'yt
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
YC1

The 20 amp outlet could be tasked if you leave the refer on auto or electric and you try to charge deeply discharged batteries.

Turn the refer off or to the propane setting when on wimpy shoreline.

Go to the EMS panel, the panel that has the readout. Then program the charger to run at 30-50% versus 100%. This will help prevent shoreline overload.

When you have time, do a search on BIRD. This system is how your batteries are tied together. Since your engine will start I would run it for a few minutes at a high idle and then prop something under the boost switch to see if the batteries will combine. Your cruise control may work to run the engine at high idle. Give it a try.,

Yes you should turn both battery switches off in the battery compartment when leaving it for any length of time.

Once you get the batteries charged get a hydrometer and check each cell. While you are in there take some pictures. Then remove one cable at a time and clean everything shiny and bright. Do check the batteries for water too.

Since you are drinking from a fire hose I will try not to drown you with more info at this time.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #9

Another simple suggestion---If your fuel is down around a 1/4 tank the Gen. will not start!!!!!! it's a fail safe so that you don't run yourself out of fuel!!!!! Been there done that!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And it gets hot quickly in august in Texas

Each model, each year, etc. COULD be different so take that into account based on the coach we have and may be talking about...

On mine,
many, many times the dash gen start will not have enough 'Oomph' to start gen due to low batteries, but AFTER I start the engine and go to the mid coach panel to hit the gen start, it usually starts...

YRMV.... good luck !
Old 08-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

One last piece of information on using 20amp service. The EMS panel will show 30 amps when you hook any single phase service into the coach. You will need to press the select button to set you service to 20amp.

The EMS will shed load to avoid exceeding the maximum load with the charger the last item to be shut down.

Good Luck
Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
The 07 Diplomat is wired so the slides won't operate with the engine running. It is an inconvienience. You can bypass the lockout so you can operate the slides at the higher alternator charge voltage which makes them operate better and avoids having to shut down, then restart the engine when breaking camp.

If interested, you can check out Bill Willard's post on that. I implemented this mod and like it a lot. It includes a switch in the front electrical bay so you can toggle the bypass on and off if you don't want it on all the time.

Roy
Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #13

All,

Thanks much for all the advice and suggestions. Up and running again. I still need to check out why the battery boost could not provide the oomph to get the geneset going, but thanks to the forum I have a lead. Again help was much appreciated

Dave
Old 09-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
YC1

When you have time, do a search on BIRD. This system is how your batteries are tied together.

Look inside your battery compartment. On the back wall is a large solenoid. If you are plugged into shoreline, carefully touch the housing. If it is warm or hot, do not worry because it is activated. If it is cold you need to measure the voltage across the little terminals.

If the solenoid is warm or hot, measure the voltage on each bank of batteries. IF they are not exactly the same, replace the solenoid. They are a common failure item and this is the device that is your Boost and battery combiner component.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, need help, newbie