Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

Ok so I didn't realize I needed to check my house batteries so often when plugged into a land line. So with that said I dried up my house batteries

If I add electrolite do they have a prayer of living again?

If we have to get new ones, (we're on a budget, who isn't) what should I buy ?

And last, my chassis batteries are dead. Doesn't the inverter charge the chassis batteries also? They have full water in them, but I haven't tested them yet.

So are lookin at 6 new batteries? ouch!!

2001 38' Diplomat
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #2

Ok so I didn't realize I needed to check my house batteries so often when plugged into a land line. So with that said I dried up my house batteries

If I add electrolite do they have a prayer of living again?

If we have to get new ones, (we're on a budget, who isn't) what should I buy ?

And last, my chassis batteries are dead. Doesn't the inverter charge the chassis batteries also? They have full water in them, but I haven't tested them yet.

So are lookin at 6 new batteries? ouch!!

2001 38' Diplomat
Old 06-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Garranch...
I have put a shortcut to MH - Problems, Solutions & After Market because I know that other brands may also have batteries ...and you will get more exposure with it in both places.

MM

PS.. can I give you some "Monaco Karma" please!?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

You can try adding distilled water to your coach batteries, charge them and see if they hold a charge. Most likely, my guess is they will need replacing. What brand are they?

Are they 6v wired in series, or 12 volt wired in parallel? If 6v two good brands are Trojan T105's or Interstate U2200's.

You're looking at around 85 to 100 per battery on the 6v ones.

Sams Club carries 6v golf cart deep cycle batteries I've heard are also pretty good and sell for around $60 or so each.

The converter on our gas coach charges both coach and chassis batteries, however on some diesels the converter only charges the coach and not the chassis battery.

One way to check is when on shore power, use a volt meter and check the chassis batteries if being charged by the converter they should read 13+ volts. If they don't then they're not being charged by the converter.

Good luck,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Garranch.....Most Monacos don't charge the chassis batteries when on shore power. You'll need one of these Link to solve your problem.

If you JUST dried out those batteries you may be able to resuscitate them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #6

Sorry, I should have mentioned they are 6 volt interstates. If I have 4-6 volts what is the output voltage? 12volt?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:07 AM   #7

They are wired in series to get the 12 volts, Go from the negative terminal on the first battery to the positive terminal on the second battery with your meter. Never add acid to an old battery, always use distilled water to refill, as tap water has minerals or chemicals in it which will ruin the battery.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hillbilly2:
They are wired in series to get the 12 volts, Go from the negative terminal on the first battery to the positive terminal on the second battery with your meter. Never add acid to an old battery, always use distilled water to refill, as tap water has minerals or chemicals in it which will ruin the battery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is good advice with an exception.When a battery is very discharged and will not willingly accept a charge,a battery dealer will seize the opportunity to sell a battery.In fact, the battery has a high internal resistance which can be reduced to the point of allowing a small charging rate(amperage)which will increase to the extent of returning the battery to useful state of charge.All that is needed,is to add about 35 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid to each cell taking care to add equal acid to each cell.This reduces the high resistance.Put on charge and watch the charge rate slowly increase.This assumes the battery is otherwise OK.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #9

Just going by what the manufactuer says, seems to be something about the chemical makeup after it is charged. I'm not a chemist so I don't know, but if it's in that bad of shape, you have nothing to lose by adding some acid. I'd try it. Being totally dry I couldn't see why it wouldn't work, From the sounds of this it has worked before for exrench.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #10

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hillbilly2:
Just going by what the manufactuer says, seems to be something about the chemical makeup after it is charged. I'm not a chemist so I don't know, but if it's in that bad of shape, you have nothing to lose by adding some acid. I'd try it. Being totally dry I couldn't see why it wouldn't work, From the sounds of this it has worked before for exrench.[/QUOTE)
The proceedure I outlined is safe but it is very important to NEVER add water to sulphuric acid as a violent reaction will occur with acid spewing in all directions.(acid must be added to water-not the other way around)
In fairness,this battery should be "balanced" after this operation.That is done by dumping some of the electrolyte after the specific gravity has reached maximum and replacing the dumped electrolyte with straight water and then charged again to maximum sp.gr.The entire battery is then dumped and fresh acid of 1.265 sp.gr. added.This is a mess and is according to the book but in my mind not necessary unless the battery has been accidently dumped.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #11

I hate to gamble on iffy batteries when boondocking.
So it looks like 6 new batteries (4h +2c) if I was going to spend $100 each where would you go.

Sears ? Sams club? camping world is always too expensive but maybe?

thanks for all your help.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Seven or Eight years ago I bought 6 Trojan T 105's at Battery Plus for $55 each. At the time it was the best price in town.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #13

Batteries have increased in price in the last 18 months. Mostly due to lead being high priced. Trojans at $55 would have to be " hot"!! Many people have reported good success with the Sam's club or Costco batteries. I think the Sam's batteries are under $70. Trojans are more like $100. Tough decision. Of course the Trojans are considered Cadillacs but is the price justified ???

Chassis batteries: Most use a Group 31. These are used in almost every diesel delivery truck on the road. Very common. I have found the best price for a quality battery is a Freightliner dealer. We typically get 6 to 8 years from a Freightliner battery. They are often offered at special prices.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After I killed two sets of batteries by failing to maintain them properly, I came to the conclusion that I was a perfect candidate for sealed batteries.

I was never able to save our batteries by adding water (it was too late). Consequently, I purchased two AGM deep cycle batteries from Sears and no longer have to deal with the issue. If this describes you, go with the sealed batteries. It will simplify your life. Best of luck.

Jack