Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
Rick,

I took readings yesterday. They were the same at #1, the remote panel #2 direct from the battery bank, #3 at the battery connections to the inverter. They are now very low and reading about 7 volts.

I'm headed to the coach in a few minutes to try and test the fuse. I don't have a high end fluke meter, but do have a nice meter so will see what I get.

I feel like we are making progress to isolate this.. just not there yet.
The invert CAN'T work on that low a voltage. I hope you can save your batteries with a charge. Check the water before you charge them. Exposed plates is not a good sign. You see the 7 volts at the inverter so that would be an indicator to me that the DC line fuse is good. This whole situation may simply be a bad inverter or bad batteries... Won't charge the batteries that are needed to produce the AC when called upon...

Now we are getting somewhere. I hope you find the culprit causing the trouble. This is so difficult, troubleshooting when your coach is not close by. The suspense is now building.

Rick Y

PS: I may have been too quick to post because I didn't read all the threads. If you are convinced it is the inverter I suggest you replace it. My top choice is the Magnum MS2812. This is what I have in my coach and I love it. Here is one link but you may find a better price someplace else: http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Magnum-M...tm?click=39123
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
If the F2 fuse is good, then it does sound like the inverter internal transfer switch is not working correctly. You do not have to take it to an Xantrex service centre unless it is still under warranty; there are other shops that can repair inverters. My thoughts.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just found out I have a generator problem. But it will be somewhat easier to fix (I hope)

Went to do the monthly exercise and the blang exhaust pipe is rusted in two. Got to remove the part still attached, Take to Muffler shop and get a new one made.... Then put it back and do the exercise.

Have all the tools, skills, and such needed so should not be a problem.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
well,.. at least you have identified your problem!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I just found out I have a generator problem. But it will be somewhat easier to fix (I hope)

Went to do the monthly exercise and the blang exhaust pipe is rusted in two. Got to remove the part still attached, Take to Muffler shop and get a new one made.... Then put it back and do the exercise.

Have all the tools, skills, and such needed so should not be a problem.
Ahhh. If all of our problems were that visible keeping these homes on wheels functioning would not cut so deeply into our fun time.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
quick update. Took the RV to a campground to connect to 50A service. Same exact results as when running the generator -- no 110 to the outlets. I'm guessing the internal bypass to the inverter is bad as xxx and xxx have suggested. BTW, I do have house batteries at 11.94 volts.. letting them charge up some more while I'm plugged in.

Anyone have experience with a good inverter service shop around the northern side of ATL? This is a shop in Alpharetta that deals in electrical motors, generators and such - thought I would check with them. If it turns out to be uneconomical to repair -- will replace it with a pure sine wave inverter.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
cont.. meant to give credit to Brian and Winepress for their analysis pointing to the inverter internal bypass being faulty.. I pressed the send button before doing so. Thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
cold and rainy today in North Atlanta, pulled the inverter and tested the two fuses.. both are good. I do have the troubleshooting guide downloaded and plan to complete those steps tomorrow or next day.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Safer depends on the particular issue. Code requirement is that neutral and ground are connected on the generator side of the transfer switch.
No it is not. The code does not require bonding on a generator till it hits so many thousands of watts and you won't have one that big on an RV... (It would BE the RV).
Old 11-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
cold and rainy today in North Atlanta, pulled the inverter and tested the two fuses.. both are good. I do have the troubleshooting guide downloaded and plan to complete those steps tomorrow or next day.
I had many problems with my Xantrex inverter that was new to my coach in about '09. At that time I got no support and it was a true sine wave inverter. Mine was cooking my AGM batteries. Got rid of the coach before I got the inverter replaced. This coach has the Magnum MS2800. Incredibly reliable inverter and my 6 AGM battery string is very happy and providing reliable power for my residential refrigerator when I don't have shore power for a day or two when I am relocating. The generator runs when needed to charge the batteries. If I am not using the A/C or heat pump, or any big drawing appliances it may be a day before it starts. If using the microwave and coffee maker the generator may start after 4 to 6 hours. And the Magnum is quietly doing its job.

Rick Y
Old 11-10-2015, 03:09 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
No it is not. The code does not require bonding on a generator till it hits so many thousands of watts and you won't have one that big on an RV... (It would BE the RV).
Do a little research. There are a ton of hits on neutral bonding with portable generator problems. Many quote the NEC specifications that are not on line for free. The specification is a bond on the generator side of the transfer switch so that when on shore power the bond is at the pedestal and when on generator the bond is at the generator side of the transfer switch.

When running on battery only whole house size inverters are supposed to have a bonding relay. The better quality the setup the more likely it is that the bond will be sensed and the power cut it the bonding is not working.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nother Mark.. IF the generator is bonded, THEN it must be on the generator side of the switch, On this we agree. But there is no requirement a generator be bonded till a specific size is reached (And in truth I'm not sure what that is but I don't think you'll find one in an rv that is bigger than the minimum bonding needed size) This is why they are often not bonded.

Rick & Melissa Young.. I have a Xantrex Prosine.. and a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard.. The 9180 with my original Interstate U-2200s when new, went a fell year before I needed to give 'em a drink.. Well 9 years later (8 years after that drink) I "Dropped" (Actually lifted) in a pair of Deka G-20s (slightly, very slightly larger) they are over 18 months and still not thirsty (Recently checked).

But I use the PDI 9180 with wizard to charge 'em. NOT the Prosine (I hold it in reserve) WHY.. I noticed the Procine putting out 16 volts of battery cooking power. Dang pass transistor is leaking.

So I just disable it at the remote and use the PD 9180 +

Of course my 9180 is a plug in model,, It has failed me a few times (Always for the same reason) It is usually around 3AM when I notice the voltage dropping.. So when that happens I go out to the Prosine remote and CLICK Better voltages happen.

Then come daylight when I feel more like putting on shoes and trousers and going outside.. I plug the 9180 back in and turn OFF the prosine charger.

I also use it when boondocking cause I have added to the battery bank (A few hundred amp hours larger than factory) so the extra amps from the prosine are.... useful.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone,.. thanks for your assistance on this.

I was at the coach troubleshooting today and "discovered" that with the generator on and not getting any power to the 110v outlets, If I flip the inverter circuit breaker off on my main cb panel, I get 110 volts to my outlets. Don't really understand what this means.. but maybe taking the power off the inverter allows it to be in bypass mode?

Anyhow, still seems to point to faulty inverter internal transfer. I did run thru the tests for the Xantrex troubleshooting and it fails the tests (fuses do test good).

Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:33 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Everyone,.. thanks for your assistance on this.

I was at the coach troubleshooting today and "discovered" that with the generator on and not getting any power to the 110v outlets, If I flip the inverter circuit breaker off on my main cb panel, I get 110 volts to my outlets. Don't really understand what this means.. but maybe taking the power off the inverter allows it to be in bypass mode?

Anyhow, still seems to point to faulty inverter internal transfer. I did run thru the tests for the Xantrex troubleshooting and it fails the tests (fuses do test good).

Thanks again.
That points directly to the internal transfer switch inside the inverter. When you turn off the breaker the transfer switch releases and the inveter starts inverting to supply 110 VAC to the output. It would apear that 110 VAC from the generator is getting to the inverter to engergize the transfer switch but the contacts are bad and do not pass the 110 through to the output.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, generator