RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
No 12 volt power

Woke up in the middle of the night when the power to the coach went out. After a short time, the 120 volt power came back on, but no 12 volt power. The battery cutout switch was bypassed several years ago. After looking all over the place, we found the house battery cutoff switch melted. Two questions: a) anyone have any idea where to get a replacement and b) any idea what would cause this switch to fail?

Jack Chapman
05 Camelot PST
__________________

chapmajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmajr View Post
Woke up in the middle of the night when the power to the coach went out. After a short time, the 120 volt power came back on, but no 12 volt power. The battery cutout switch was bypassed several years ago. After looking all over the place, we found the house battery cutoff switch melted. Two questions: a) anyone have any idea where to get a replacement and b) any idea what would cause this switch to fail?

Jack Chapman
05 Camelot PST
Not exactly familiar with Monaco electrical but to answer your question about what would cause the switch to melt, I would say it was the result of a poor connection in the switch itself.
Removing and by-passing of electrical components is never a great idea. These things are installed for a reason. Safety being the Primary.
I recommend taking a good look at the complete system by a qualified person. There are a few threads in this forum about fires that occurred because of neglected or faulty wiring. IMHO
__________________

__________________
2019 Unity LTV CB, pushed by a 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Jack,

When you bypassed the Battery Cut-Off Solenoid, did you remove the solenoid control wires from the solenoid and tape them up separately?

If so there should be NO power to the switch up front to cause it to melt.

You got something going on that needs your IMMEDIATE attention.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
OutAround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Jack, When you bypassed the Battery Cut-Off Solenoid, did you remove the solenoid control wires from the solenoid and tape them up separately? If so there should be NO power to the switch up front to cause it to melt. You got something going on that needs your IMMEDIATE attention. Dr4Film ----- Richard
X2

Dc power shorts are responsible for the bulk of RV electrical fires. Very rarely does AC power cause a fire. Its almost always the DC power causing a fire.

Somewhere you have a hot to ground short. The creates heat and can do so sometimes without blowing a fuse. A DC got to ground short or just a bad arcing ground creates major heat and basically a welding rod.

Don't re energize the DC system until you can determine the cause of the failure. You can check the resistance using a meter on the ground side of the DC circuit.
OutAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
nodine's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Posts: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmajr View Post
Woke up in the middle of the night when the power to the coach went out. After a short time, the 120 volt power came back on, but no 12 volt power. The battery cutout switch was bypassed several years ago. After looking all over the place, we found the house battery cutoff switch melted. Two questions: a) anyone have any idea where to get a replacement and b) any idea what would cause this switch to fail?

Jack Chapman
05 Camelot PST
Jack,

This should work for your:
Marinco 701 Battery Disconnect Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive

Bob
__________________
Bob and Pam
2006 Diplomat 40PDQ
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Good call, Bob.

I did not think he was referring to Battery Disconnect Switch in the RRB (rear run bay) although that should have come to mind.

However, that specific switch you had linked in your post is made by BEP and they are prone to shorts, melting and fires.

If the original ones are indeed made by BEP than I would replace BOTH of them as they are an accident waiting to happen. Some have actually caught fire which can damage the coach or total it.

My recommendation would be to replace both with the PERKO Battery Disconnect Switch

PERKO Inc. - Battery Switches - Heavy Duty Battery Disconnect Switch

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12 volt, power



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.