RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
No 12V to J2 pin2 on EMS

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor and my EMS is not sensing the generator so its showing 30amp on the display instead of Gen Set and i can't run both A/c units. When hooked to shore power it senses 50amp and everything works. I need to know where the blue wire goes once it goes into the wall so I can find out what the problem is. If someone knows of a common bad spot in the wiring or where it leads to a fuse or breaker I could sure use some help. Thanks, Scott

Life1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #2

Can't help with location but I would unplug, clean and plug back in the generator control harness, down by the generator.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Can't help with location but I would unplug, clean and plug back in the generator control harness, down by the generator.
Will do! Thanks
Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The EMS system has to sense that the generator is running.

I have not confirmed but I 've read that it picks up a 12 volt signal from the generator start switch located in the bedroom. You may check there, not sure of your floor plan but my gen start button is mounted under the small wardrobe cabinet next to the bed, the floor of the cabinet pops up to access the wiring.

On my wiring diagram it does show a wire coming from the generator hour meter to the EMS so that's another place to check.

You may also try to call M&M Electronics, they still service the Intellitec EMS and may have knowledge of where Monaco got the 12 volt signal from
https://www.mmrvelectronics.com/
they helped me when my system failed after a lightening strike.

If that doesn't work you may have to get a fox and hound to trace the wire.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I believe your correct. I pulled the gen switch in the bedroom and a blue wire runs to it. That switch is completely dead so I have to find the break. I haven’t had a chance to clean the connector at the generator yet but thats my next move. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well, at least you found the source of the problem but now have to find the rest of the wiring.
I also have a generator start switch on the center dash under the radio, I wonder if they are daisy chained?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I don’t know. I haven’t had a chance to clean the connector yet but I will in the morning.
Iirc and I will verify in the morning but my bedroom gen switch didn’t light up when I used the jumper on J2 of the board so I’m thinking the problem may be a ground? If it was the 12v+ side wouldn’t the light come on for the bedroom switch when power was fed back through the jumper? I’m not savvy on electrical stuff so I don’t know. Thoughts?
Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I checked the plug at the generator and it is making good contact.

With the generator running and the jumper in place there is still no power to the generator switch under the cabinet in the bedroom but there is ground so I think there is a separate blue wire running to the EMS not connected the closest generator switch which is under the cabinet.

I am out of ideas at this point....
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a wiring diagram for your coach???
On mine, page 26 shows that an 18 ga blue wire comes from the generator hour meter to the EMS. Seems odd that they'd run a separate wire that far for this but nothing would surprise me.

Only other suggestion I'd make is to get a Fox & Hound wire tracer, you should be able to find where the wires go.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim I bought a Fox and Hound and traced it to a relay in the Power shutoff bay and I'm trying to figure out how he relay is powered now. You,ve been a big help. I'll work on it more later today.

Tags
ems