RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

No Brake lights

03 Safari Sahara today when I pulled out I couldn't get the ATC light to go out, it always goes out after start up when you first apply the brakes. I first thought I was having a clogged fuel filter problem again but after a few miles I realized that wasn't the problem as the coach ran just fine. I realized my brake controller for the trailer was not activating when the brakes were applied and soon after then I realized you couldn't deactivate the cruise control when applying the brakes. I made it here to Lake City, FL. and apparently I have no brake lights on my trailer and the coach. Disconnected the trailer and still nothing. Checked light bulbs all OK, checked mini breaker 12 volts in 12 volts out, checked brake light switch for continuity all OK. The only thing that I can think of is the brake light relay, there is power to it but since I'm by myself I don't have anyone handy to step on the brake pedal to activate it. I would think that my brake controller along with the ATC light and cruise control are not getting a signal saying the brakes are being applied. The only thing I can think of is that 87A 12V 40 amp relay. I'm going to try to pick one up in the morning somewhere. Do you guys think I'm on the right track? Anything else I should be looking for?

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds like you're on the right track. You have several of those relays in the driver's cabinet. Try using one of the others to see if that is you're problem. They're all the same.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #3

Well here I am sitting at a large truck repair facility outside of Lake City, FL hoping they can find my problem. Checked relays and all seemed fine. Jumped the brake relay and I could make the brake lights come on so I would think that would rule out a problem with wiring to the back. Really seems to be that the relays are not getting a signal that the brake is being activated. The brake switch seemed to check out too. Monaco tech support was of little help. Really hope they can figure this out so I can get back on the road.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This is a little off topic,but do you have a AMP or VOLT gauge on your dash?
Just want to know if Monaco forgot ours or if they never put one on any of the 2003 Sahara.
Also some one was asking about the tach jumping all over the place,will ours has been like that for 3 years?
Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
Well here I am sitting at a large truck repair facility outside of Lake City, FL hoping they can find my problem. Checked relays and all seemed fine. Jumped the brake relay and I could make the brake lights come on so I would think that would rule out a problem with wiring to the back. Really seems to be that the relays are not getting a signal that the brake is being activated. The brake switch seemed to check out too. Monaco tech support was of little help. Really hope they can figure this out so I can get back on the road.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #5

Well thanks to Tom Nehl Truck Company (Freightliner) in Lake City, FL. all is fine again. Apparently the brake lite switch was not getting full power for some reason. I checked it and it was getting about 7 volts when the motor was not running and 11.8 volts when the engine was on. I thought this was unusual but I just figured it there was suppose to be some resistance in line for the switch. I was wrong. They couldn't find what the problem with the wire was so they ran a new one. All seems fine now.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
This is a little off topic,but do you have a AMP or VOLT gauge on your dash?
Just want to know if Monaco forgot ours or if they never put one on any of the 2003 Sahara.
Also some one was asking about the tach jumping all over the place,will ours has been like that for 3 years?
Phillip
There's no volt gauge on ours ether and our tach jumps all over the place too. I tried running a ground from it and that did nothing. In another posting someone said they had there's replaced and then it worked just fine afterword. I'm starting to think it's not the tach but a connection somewhere. Here's a clue, the tach jumps the most when turbo boost is over 10 psi. On level ground when running it really does not bounce that much as long as the boost is below 10 psi. One of these days I'll pull it out and check those connections but to be honest with I've had so many problems with this coach that I never get a chance to trying to figure out what the problem with the tach is.