Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
"No"-cold upgrade

Thanks to my friend Mr Hal Miller, I will no longer have runny ice cream - no more "dreaded red light" on the upgrade box, and no more fire hazard.

Last week we took out the fridge and changed all the technique to the well made Amish upgrade.

Thank you to Hal and Ginny - not only for the work done, but also for housing and feeding us while we was there.

......and without iRV2, none of this would have happened.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks but wait till you get the bill And who's going to drink the remainder of that that "rot gut" beer you like?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Thanks to my friend Mr Hal Miller, I will no longer have runny ice cream - no more "dreaded red light" on the upgrade box, and no more fire hazard. Last week we took out the fridge and changed all the technique to the well made Amish upgrade. Thank you to Hal and Ginny - not only for the work done, but also for housing and feeding us while we was there. ......and without iRV2, none of this would have happened.
How much and where did you get it?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Great job, guys!

I do hope that the Amish cooling unit works out for you as it has for so many others. The most important part of the installation is getting the mastic laid down correctly in the proper places and sealing any and all air gaps or spaces where warm air good infiltrate causing your new cooling unit to malfunction.

A word of caution, there have been some RVer's who had installed the Amish unit with less than satisfactory results. Hopefully you will not be one of them.

Safe travels!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, the mastic is very important, but the sealant is critical. You have to have the coil pack sealed to perfection. If it is not sealed, the moisture will build up within the unit and it will stop cooling like it should. Moisture will always migrate to the colder area, so any leak will pull the moisture into the coil pack.

If after running fine for a week and then the performance starts to degrade, you have a sealant failure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks to my friend Mr Hal Miller, I will no longer have runny ice cream - no more "dreaded red light" on the upgrade box, and no more fire hazard.

Last week we took out the fridge and changed all the technique to the well made Amish upgrade.

Thank you to Hal and Ginny - not only for the work done, but also for housing and feeding us while we was there.

......and without iRV2, none of this would have happened.

Good job, guys!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
How much and where did you get it?
It came from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse. Price: $1,230 including 2 new fans. Cost of installing depends on final negotiations with Mr Millers solicitors .

The new unit has been sealed with both foam and plenty of alu-tape. I am sure this is as air-tight as it will ever get. BTW - the old Norcold unit was never foamed at all and the alu-taping was suspect to say the least.

The test run was very promising. I would say that within 4 hours from start-up, both the cooling and the freezing was up and running as cold as the Norcold would ever get.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the install! I'm sure you will be very happy with it! When we bought our MH last year I replaced the cooling unit with the Amish-built model from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse even though the old one was working fine. I didn't want to risk becoming a "crispy critter". Dave is a great guy to work with!

Last month the original control board went bad, and again David Force to the rescue! David had the best price I could find on the Dinosaur 6212xx replacement board. Works great!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Congrats on the install! I'm sure you will be very happy with it! When we bought our MH last year I replaced the cooling unit with the Amish-built model from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse even though the old one was working fine. I didn't want to risk becoming a "crispy critter". Dave is a great guy to work with!

Last month the original control board went bad, and again David Force to the rescue! David had the best price I could find on the Dinosaur 6212xx replacement board. Works great!

We did e-mail David Force for advice a couple of times, and it seemed like only seconds before we had a reply. I have never seen or heard anything like this.

Their service is second to none

Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We did e-mail David Force for advice a couple of times, and it seemed like only seconds before we had a reply. I have never seen or heard anything like this.

Their service is second to none
Yep, a lot of companies could take lessons from David when it comes to customer support!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #11

Fridg rework

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Happy camper,
I've noticed others on IRV2 have chosen to take out the absorption units in favor of an electric model. I hope you don't mind me asking why you chose to stay with the original style unit. I sort of feel if you boon dock a lot the original style is easier on battery but the guys say even that is fairly close as well. I've seem to have a good refer for now but am just interested in as many different ideas, before the day I have to make a decision.
Loren
Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Loren,

I chose to remove the NotSoCold for more reasons than just poor cooling.

The doors fall off, the door seals are not replaceable, if you full-time you have to defrost once a month or more, plus you srtill only have less than 12 cu/ft. of storage.

The Samsung fridge uses 1.81 - 1.83 Kwh per day. I am not sure what the Norcold uses for LPG and 12 VDC usage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post
Happy camper,
I've noticed others on IRV2 have chosen to take out the absorption units in favor of an electric model. I hope you don't mind me asking why you chose to stay with the original style unit. I sort of feel if you boon dock a lot the original style is easier on battery but the guys say even that is fairly close as well. I've seem to have a good refer for now but am just interested in as many different ideas, before the day I have to make a decision.
Loren
The main consideration was cost. It seems that on most coaches the front windshield has to come out to get the new fridge in. That cost along with the price of the fridge seems like it would be pretty high. I was also concerned about them getting the windshield back in with no leaks! I paid a total of $1250 for a new Amish-built cooling unit, two fans, and two new AC heating elements. That just seemed like the way to to for me. JMHO

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
There was various considerations for us before we decided to stick with the propane AND AC solution.
  1. We do the occasional boon-docking and when we do, we either need the propane option or we need to upgrade our solar panels and house battery capacity. Sticking with a similar system to what we have appeared to be a better solution.
  2. We didn't like to prospect of removing windows to get things in and out.
  3. We have talked to others who have installed the Amish cooling unit, and everybody we spoke to has been happy with their improvement.

Now i just hope that we have made the right decision.