RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

No exhaust brake switch on 2002 HR Endeavor 38PST

I just recently purchased a 2002 Endeavor 38PST. I've been spending a lot of time in the coach getting familiar with all of the features. There's several things that show up in the manual that just aren't the same as what's in my rig. The one that's just frustrating the heck out of me is that I cannot find a switch for the exhaust brake. The manual shows it in the bank of switches on the left side of the drivers area, but I don't have one. I've also read that it is sometimes a pedal on the left side of the footwell. Not there either. I've got the original Spec sheet for this motorhome and it clearly says that there is an Exhaust Pac Brake. But I can't figure out where the switch to turn it off and on is located. Or if there even is a switch. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bobwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are any of the switches on the drivers side console not labeled, maybe previous owner had to replace with generic switch.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Hope you find that missing switch! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Yes there is one switch that has no label. I hadn't thought of that for some reason. Too busy figuring out what everything in the cockpit does!!

I'll check and see if that's that answer.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #5

Exhaust brake will not work with cruise control on.
Outbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Mine does.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwa View Post
I just recently purchased a 2002 Endeavor 38PST. I've been spending a lot of time in the coach getting familiar with all of the features. There's several things that show up in the manual that just aren't the same as what's in my rig. The one that's just frustrating the heck out of me is that I cannot find a switch for the exhaust brake. The manual shows it in the bank of switches on the left side of the drivers area, but I don't have one. I've also read that it is sometimes a pedal on the left side of the footwell. Not there either. I've got the original Spec sheet for this motorhome and it clearly says that there is an Exhaust Pac Brake. But I can't figure out where the switch to turn it off and on is located. Or if there even is a switch. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Can we assume you have an Allison tranny?

Do you also see a lamp that you don't know what it is on the dash near the unknown switch? That could be part of the exhaust brake system - I say could because it depends on the switch installed and if a lamp is wired to it. The switch supplies 12V to a couple places when on and this enables the process of the exhaust brake which is controlled by the the transmission control module (TCM).
Once you find the switch and turn it on, usually there is some rules applied by the TCM - 1) the throttle position sensor tells the TCM whether your foot is pressing on the fuel pedal or not 2) once it knows your foot is on the pedal and you're moving more than 10mph the system is active 3)if you're moving over 10mph and you remove your foot from the pedal the tranny will seek a preset gear - mine seeks 2nd of 6. The rpm and engine speed will determine which gear the tranny actually starts using. If your tranny control has 2 columns at the top, you'll see that happening. 4) if you press the pedal again, you'll see the tranny seek 6th gear again and the right column will show you the progress toward it.
Turning the switch on the dash off stops all this.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

Yep it's an Allison tranny. I haven't noticed a lamp that I don't know what it does, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I'll check it out tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #9

Another thing to do is once you operate the switch: remember, if you're sitting still the PacBrake (PB) will not operate. Lift the bed (my engine is under the bed) and locate the PB - should be on the same exhaust pipe as the turbo. Then get someone to watch the PacBrake as you drive the coach getting above 10 mph - maybe 20. With the switch off, when you lift your foot off the pedal it won't do anything. Now flip the switch and lift your foot and you should here a hiss as the PB is activated. Have the person back there validate that it is operating. You also need to lube the flapper on the exhaust activated by PB and there is maintenance to be done on the PB itself also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maint L5300.pdf (109.5 KB, 4 views)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands View Post
Hello

Saw this thread and have s question. I have a New to Us 2004 Fleetwood Bounder 35B Gas Class A.

My mechanic whom went through the unit said my model with the Allison 5speed tranny likely has a tow brake or what some call an exhaust brake. I have nothing that tells me I have this other than a switch on the driver left side counsel. There is a rocker switch with a pair of lights symbol showing I believe fog lamps however no fog lamps exist.

How can I test to see if I have a tow/exhaust brake.

Thank you

No exhaust brake on a gasser. Maybe a Grade Brake by Workhorse if that helps.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

Not true for everyone. It depends on how the coach manufacturer programmed it.
Even when using cruise, my Jake Brake will engage if the coach gets to 5 mph over the set cruise speed. When the speed drops back to the set speed, the Jake comes off and the throttle opens again.
This can be set to different speeds or it can be completely disabled...it just depends.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
No exhaust brake on a gasser. Maybe a Grade Brake by Workhorse if that helps.
Thank you. My mechanic didnít call it a Jake Brake or exhaust brake as I know those terms. Have my CDLA and drive a 53í er for years.

He called it a form of tranny brake with Allison.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #13

When I was in business we sold and installed exhaust and engine brakes. In most cases it was an accessory that the factory added to the chassis... sometimes it was the body builder and that was always a problem

1 - gas engines do not use exhaust brakes..
2 - some diesel engines based on their design can't use exhaust brakes because the exhaust valve springs don't have enough compression pressure (spring test) and will allow the exhaust valve to open under back pressure, thus not available
3 - the operation of the exhaust brake when interfaced with the ECM on the engine and the transmission is totally dependent on how the ENGINE and TRANSMISSION manufacturer programed those computers at the time of manufacturer... I've not seen a repair shop who could do nothing more than go into the ECM and either turn on the feature or turn it off.. no more or less.
4 - in some cases, the same engine and transmission 6 months apart in manufacturer date codes had different programs...

SO I ASK.... was an exhaust brake actually installed on your Endeavor... its usually located right behind the Turbo. If you have air brakes than air pressure activates through electric controls... if you have hydraulic brakes than the exhaust brake is either vacuum or air operated with a pump added to the system...

Any of the authorized dealers of either PacBrake (I was a major PacBrake distributor for 20 years) or Jacobs distributor can quickly check to see if one was installed.... and if so test, diagnosis and later repair...

We could test and diagnosis most installations in less than 30 min... often with a Pusher it was a fight to find the added wires in the wiring loom... unless it was installed by the chassis manufacture.... often we spent more time cleaning up the mess from the body builder who tried to install it and didn't do it right...

We didn't get paid for warranty work if the original installer failed to do a proper installation (60% of the time) and we told the customer up front about the problems...

We always took the customer for a test ride (TRAINING) on the proper use once the repair was made...

I hope this helps...

Tags
brake, exhaust, switch