RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #1

No power to propane tank level sensor

Hello all,

The propane level reads empty on the remote indicator in the coach. The propane tank is full. I thought maybe the sensor on the tank gauge could be defective. However I discovered with my volt meter and tester light that there is no power to the sensor.

Any ideas on where to start to figure out the cause of this issue?

Thank you in advance for thoughts.

Irishguy

2003 Windsor 40' PST

irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #2

IS this the style of gauge/sending unit you have?

Magnet on backside of tank gauge is activated by float assembly inside tank
As float moves....magnet follows float changing needle in and a 'signal' is generated that then goes to monitor panel

Not powered by any 12V DC source.

Gauge working on tank........then sender could be bad, wire could be broken, monitor could be bad

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #3

Yes that is the type of guage. Wow I thought for sure a 12 volt source was involved as the two wires leading from the sending unit lead to a connector with a red wire and two white wires. One of the white wires is grounded.

Thanks for the info. I will check the guage and sending unit.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

There is a voltage source up in the indicator panel. The tank gauge is nothing more then a variable resistor.

Short or disconnect the gauge wires, near the tank, and see if it reads full on the panel inside.

If either test makes it read full, the tank sender/gauge is bad.

There are two types, one with 2 small screws and one that snaps in. You will not be dealing with any propane leaks, changing the sender.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

I disconnected the wires as well as shorted them and the monitor panel still reads empty. Is the problem at the monitor panel? All other readings at the panel operate.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #6

Not trying to high jack the thread but been following just to see what comes about. Monaco cheaped out on my 07 Neptune and didn't put a gauge on the tank to show the level of propane. All I have is the monitor inside that shows empty, 1/3, 2/3, or full. Not very accurate huh! Anyone know if it's possible to just replace the sensor with one with a gauge? I assume from the post above propane will not leak out. Will the interior gauge on the monitor panel still work?
Thanks, anyhelp will be appreciated.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Garnet Instruments SeeLevel gauges (I'm sure there are other as well) will do what you're looking-for. Their panels also monitor the tank levels, etc. A LOT more accurate than the OEM gauges.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

Hi Irishguy; About 3 weeks ago, I posted some help on the problem you are having. I have an 01 Windsor and I think you have the same Brunner propane tank on your 03. First I would remove the gauge. Should be two small Phillip's screws holding the gauge on. Once off you can use your ohm meter to check the gauge at different levels. There is a magnet on the back of the gauge. Use a small piece of metal, or another small magnet, to move the gauge to different tank levels. You should get different ohm readings from empty to full. If there is no different ohm readings, the winding in the gauge has gone south and you need a new gauge. In your Monaco manual, you should find instructions on how to fine tune the gauge levels by removing the small black buttons above your gauge level indicator lights. I think you can find the gauges on Amazon. Just make sure you get a gauge that has the same outside diameter configuration as your old gauge because there are two styles. I picked up a spare from Beaver Coach Sales in Bend Oregon when visiting there in 05. Gauge runs about $20+. I bought the new gauge because mine was not showing any readings on the inside panel. Found out I had a disconnected wire down in the harness from the tank propane gauge. Don't use too much torque when tightening the screws that hold the gauge onto the tank. They can strip easily. Hope this gets you going on some inside readings for your propane tank level. Good luck.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Garnet Instruments SeeLevel gauges (I'm sure there are other as well) will do what you're looking-for. Their panels also monitor the tank levels, etc. A LOT more accurate than the OEM gauges.
Thanks Rustytools, I was really looking more so for the gauge that mounts on the propane tank. My OEM gauges work pretty good for the tank levels. At least good enough to suit me. I just wanted to have a little better idea about the propane level so I'd know when the urgency to refill increased. Thanks

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Irishguy; About 3 weeks ago, I posted some help on the problem you are having. I have an 01 Windsor and I think you have the same Brunner propane tank on your 03. First I would remove the gauge. Should be two small Phillip's screws holding the gauge on. Once off you can use your ohm meter to check the gauge at different levels. There is a magnet on the back of the gauge. Use a small piece of metal, or another small magnet, to move the gauge to different tank levels. You should get different ohm readings from empty to full. If there is no different ohm readings, the winding in the gauge has gone south and you need a new gauge. In your Monaco manual, you should find instructions on how to fine tune the gauge levels by removing the small black buttons above your gauge level indicator lights. I think you can find the gauges on Amazon. Just make sure you get a gauge that has the same outside diameter configuration as your old gauge because there are two styles. I picked up a spare from Beaver Coach Sales in Bend Oregon when visiting there in 05. Gauge runs about $20+. I bought the new gauge because mine was not showing any readings on the inside panel. Found out I had a disconnected wire down in the harness from the tank propane gauge. Don't use too much torque when tightening the screws that hold the gauge onto the tank. They can strip easily. Hope this gets you going on some inside readings for your propane tank level. Good luck.
Thanks Oilbuner...I'm going to give that a try!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #11

I have a 2002 Monaco Diplomat with no gauge on the tank. This weekend my propane shut off and would not restart. The inside gauge read 2/3 full. I used an Old School method to check the propane level. I heated about a quart of water and poured it over the tank then felt the outside of the tank. A "frost line" will form at the level of the liquid propane. (not really frost but a definite colder temperature.)

I had turned off my 12 volts last week and I think the propane regulator went into a safety shut down. I finally got the regulator to rest and all is good now.

Bill

bmuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, propane, tank