Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

NO start NEED HELP!!!

So our coach (2010 Monaco Dynasty) in the last 2 months had intermediate start issue (the starter won't turn). I had to try a few times until the starter kicked in. A few days ago after fueling the coach did not start and I had to jump the starter. I figured maybe bad solenoid so I just installed a new one and still not starter!!

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Check that I have 12v at the switch on the steering column. Also no 12v on the solenoid when my wife tried to start.

2. Check to see if it will start from the back panel start switch (it didn't)

3. Called Monaco but got the usual " we will look for the wiring diagram and get back to you" never did!

4. I found that when my wife turn the switch to start, I hear a click at the rear panel but no power, noticed that the fuse (see attached picture) is burnt. I tried a different one and it burns as soon as you try to start the coach.

Any help to get us back on the road?? Heading to Montreal, QC....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170828_120033.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	362.7 KB
ID:	174668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170828_120109.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	613.7 KB
ID:	174669  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
battery cables/posts clean?
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Just found that the fuse will not reset and the contacts inside are burnt. Will have to find a place around that sells this.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Stating the obvious, but tracing the runs on the board shows that whatever that relay switches is either shorted or drawing a lot more power than the fuse is rated for. You'll need to trace that circuit out and gradually disconnect everything that attaches to it until you find the short.

Starter solenoid? Inlet air heater?
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

Can anyone tell me what the contactor in the picture does? The model is Trombetta 734-1221-020

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That 'fuse' is actually a circuit breaker, and not a fuse. Replacing it with a fuse is a (generally) bad idea as the prior owner of my rig found out with the seats.

I know these are available from Rock Auto, but most good parts stores also should carry them.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
I am thinkin thats probably the circuit breaker for the intake grid heater. I would buy 2 and put one in and see if it starts. Turn on ign and see if the 'wait to start' light goes out in about 10 sec. The fact that its 30amp is a little strange. I think normally grid heaters are 1000w so that would be closer to 120amp DC. ... What motor is this? I Guess since you have a 45 its not a 6.7.. prob an ISL or ISX.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #8

My engine is an ISM500, doesn't have "wait to start" or a heater. That 30a breaker is rated at 450 current based on the manufacturer website.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio View Post
My engine is an ISM500, doesn't have "wait to start" or a heater. That 30a breaker is rated at 450 current based on the manufacturer website.
hmm considering that model year, it likely has sometype of intake air heater. 2010 is pretty late for an ISM. I thought they were no longer being installed after about 2005 or 06.

You say a replacement 30a frys immediately? I can't see how that is the starter relay but I guess its possible. You got a wiring diagram for the engine/start circuit? IS that board you have a pic of identified as the start circuit? What are under the covers in the upper right of the pic?
Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
hmm considering that model year, it likely has sometype of intake air heater. 2010 is pretty late for an ISM. I thought they were no longer being installed after about 2005 or 06.

You say a replacement 30a frys immediately? I can't see how that is the starter relay but I guess its possible. You got a wiring diagram for the engine/start circuit? IS that board you have a pic of identified as the start circuit? What are under the covers in the upper right of the pic?
Mine is a 2010 coach but the engine is 2008. I installed a REGULAR fuse, not knowing the real 30A is a "breaker" and can carry high current for short time. I cleaned the contacts inside the "bad" breaker and could start the engine two times before the breaker stopped working.

I tried getting a wiring diagram from Monaco without luck.

The upper right corner is where the rear start switch and the front/rear selector switchs are. They are black so looks like a cover.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #11

Quote:

The ISM never had an intake heater and it was built through '09.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
well, it does sound like that board is for the start circuit. I would try to find the real breaker and see if it cooks immediately.. (like I said, get 2). If you get it started dont shut it off until you have at least covered some distance. Maybe when you do crank it see if you can tell any thing abnormal. I would check the + for the starter itself. If its loose it will increase current draw. If you cook a second breaker I would say there is something amiss in the starter itself.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
well, it does sound like that board is for the start circuit. I would try to find the real breaker and see if it cooks immediately.. (like I said, get 2). If you get it started dont shut it off until you have at least covered some distance. Maybe when you do crank it see if you can tell any thing abnormal. I would check the + for the starter itself. If its loose it will increase current draw. If you cook a second breaker I would say there is something amiss in the starter itself.
I am going to do just that. Thanks!
P.S. I did check/clean the cables on the starter when I replaced the starter solenoid.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
The factory manual for my ISC says it pulls like 900 amps on start. I think the ISM is like 1200. So the fact that the breaker is only 30 means that has to be for the key or something other than the starter itself. I would think it would be the solenoid but its perplexing why you replacing it did not resolve it..

Tags
need help, no start