Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
No turn signals or emergency flashers

Went to leave the campground for home today, hooked up the toad, went to check the lights, and discovered no turn signals or flashers working on the MH. Disconnected the toad with same result. Found fuses for turn signals and flashers below driver's seat, outside electrical bay, and all checked good with power to the fuses. Since both turn signals and flashers are operated from separate switches on the steering column, suspect there is another fuse or circuit breaker somewhere controlling both. The schematic in the owners manual has been reduced so small from a larger master that it is unreadable in its reduced form. Anyone have a PDF schematic file covering these circuits or hints where to look next would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Barlow46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Coast Fl
Posts: 1,134
When you hit the turn signal lever, does the lighted indicator on the dash panel stay lit? If so, start looking for the turn signal flasher. Some are located in the dash and some are in the run bay under the drivers seat. (outside)
__________________

__________________
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y, 2016 F350 4x4 DRW, 6.7 Power Stroke. East Coast of Fl.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
When you hit the turn signal lever, does the lighted indicator on the dash panel stay lit? If so, start looking for the turn signal flasher. Some are located in the dash and some are in the run bay under the drivers seat. (outside)
No panel indicator light at all for either turn signals or 4-ways. Hoping it still may be the flasher unit, which was the next thing I was going to try to find and check. (Isn't clicking, so can't find it by sound!)
__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,601
Running and brake lights are working normally?
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Running and brake lights are working normally?
Yes. Haven't found any other electrical systems that are being affected. Suspected this and checked marker lights, brake lights, dash lights, headlights high and low beam, fog lights, A/C blower, radio, cruise control, etc., and haven't found anything else not working, so at this point problem appears to be limited to just turn signals and 4 way emergency flashers.
__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,750
Try putting your adjustable steering wheel in the normal driving position, rather than full forward.
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Try putting your adjustable steering wheel in the normal driving position, rather than full forward.
Ok, What do you know that I don't know?? When we were camping I had moved the adjustable steering wheel full forward to get it out of the way (Don't know that I had ever done that before) Moved it back to normal driving position when we went to leave, and that was when we discovered the problem. Didn't think that had anything to do with it, but wondered. It is in the normal driving position now with now signals or 4 ways. Still haven't located the flasher unit.
__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Emerald Coast
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38 View Post
Ok, What do you know that I don't know?? When we were camping I had moved the adjustable steering wheel full forward to get it out of the way (Don't know that I had ever done that before) Moved it back to normal driving position when we went to leave, and that was when we discovered the problem. Didn't think that had anything to do with it, but wondered. It is in the normal driving position now with now signals or 4 ways. Still haven't located the flasher unit.
As I recall the flasher is in the front run bay under the driver on my MH.

If returning to normal driving position doesn't fix it then I am out of ideas. That's what worked for me.Sorry I could not help.
__________________
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,601
Turn and brake light circuits mostly the same - other than in the immediate vicinity of the steering column. I'd look for a harness that's being tugged on when tilting the column?
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
If returning to normal driving position doesn't fix it then I am out of ideas. That's what worked for me.Sorry I could not help.
Jim, you may be pointing me in the right direction after all. Spoke with someone at an RV place in town and when I described the problem the first thing he asked was, did the MH have an adjustable steering column, and had I pushed it clear forward. He explained with the wiring harness running in the column, moving the steering wheel clear forward may have compromised the wiring or connections. He suggested I examine the wiring harness and connections to the affected components.

It sounds like in your case simply moving the steering wheel back to the normal driving position cured the problem, but may not always be the solution depending on what actually occurred. Will examine the wiring harness next. He did not think it was a problem with the flasher unit, though I still want to find that sucker. Thanks for your ideas.
__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
Up Date: Removed the steering column shrouds today and tackled the turn signal flasher problem. Sure enough the adjustable steering column was the culprit! The wiring harness to the steering wheel controls was catching on a bolt head at the lower end of the steering column stretching the harness tight when the steering wheel was moved up or forward. In turn that tension had broken the keeper that held the harness plug in at the steering wheel end, thus pulling the plug out far enough that it no longer made contact. Moving the steering wheel back did not push the plug back in as there was no pressure exerted on the plug in the opposite direction. An added zip tie to replace the broken keeper now keeps the plug in, and additional slack created at the lower end now keeps the harness from catching on the bold head. Problem solved. See pictures attached highlighting the problem and fix for others that might encounter this similar problem. Double click the images to see the added explanation labels. Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. Would have never thought it was a mechanical issue. Was looking for a fuse, circuit, or flasher unit malfunction. iRV2 comes through again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_1220.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	22783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_1235.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	22784  

__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Barlow46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Coast Fl
Posts: 1,134
Great pics of the problem and thanks for the update.
__________________
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y, 2016 F350 4x4 DRW, 6.7 Power Stroke. East Coast of Fl.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jeff753's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,655
Great pics and info. Thanks for taking the time to post your solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38
Up Date: Removed the steering column shrouds today and tackled the turn signal flasher problem. Sure enough the adjustable steering column was the culprit! The wiring harness to the steering wheel controls was catching on a bolt head at the lower end of the steering column stretching the harness tight when the steering wheel was moved up or forward. In turn that tension had broken the keeper that held the harness plug in at the steering wheel end, thus pulling the plug out far enough that it no longer made contact. Moving the steering wheel back did not push the plug back in as there was no pressure exerted on the plug in the opposite direction. An added zip tie to replace the broken keeper now keeps the plug in, and additional slack created at the lower end now keeps the harness from catching on the bold head. Problem solved. See pictures attached highlighting the problem and fix for others that might encounter this similar problem. Double click the images to see the added explanation labels. Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. Would have never thought it was a mechanical issue. Was looking for a fuse, circuit, or flasher unit malfunction. iRV2 comes through again!
__________________
Jeff
2001 Monaco Dynasty tag axle
2006 Jeep Wrangler
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Monaco38's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 172
The lower bolt seen in the bottom picture of the earlier post above was the culprit shown before additional slack in the wiring harness was provided.

Also found the flasher units and turn signal fuses. (See picture below) They are located in the outside electrical bay under the driver's area. There are two 15 amp fuses, one for each right and left turn signal. There is also a separate flasher unit for the right and for the left turn signals. The 4-way emergency flashers simply excite both right and left circuits together. There is not a separate flasher unit for the 4-ways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253-1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	22801  
__________________

__________________
Jerry & Barb ~ Furbies: Dylan, Daisy, Brandee, Finnegan
2003 Monaco Camelot 38PST, Cummins 350 ISC, Roadmaster RR8S chassis, 2004 Honda CR-V Toad, FMCA, Olympia, WA K7DKO

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.