RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hello to all. I have found that talking to other owners in forums like this is the very best way to solve problems, no matter what the product is. My issue right now is the sound system in a new Cayman. When ever AC power is present (shore power, gen-set, inverter) there is a 60 cycle hum in the speakers. I had the dealer look at it for two days in Laughlin NV with no luck. I couldn't stay any longer and figured that I could get it fixed later when I was near my home. I did talk to an independent RV serviceman who claimed to know what the problem was but I couldn't wait to schedule his time. He said that it was a "ground loop". That is: the components in the system were grounded differently. Right now the unit is parked in Reno NV because I couldn't get it all the way to my home because of winter conditions. So it will be a couple of weeks before I can get to it. Any suggestions about the problem?

Absolutely love the coach otherwise. I don't think that I would have returned across the very windy NV desert in my previous unit, a gas powered Georgie Boy. The Monaco was a cruiser in comparison.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello to all. I have found that talking to other owners in forums like this is the very best way to solve problems, no matter what the product is. My issue right now is the sound system in a new Cayman. When ever AC power is present (shore power, gen-set, inverter) there is a 60 cycle hum in the speakers. I had the dealer look at it for two days in Laughlin NV with no luck. I couldn't stay any longer and figured that I could get it fixed later when I was near my home. I did talk to an independent RV serviceman who claimed to know what the problem was but I couldn't wait to schedule his time. He said that it was a "ground loop". That is: the components in the system were grounded differently. Right now the unit is parked in Reno NV because I couldn't get it all the way to my home because of winter conditions. So it will be a couple of weeks before I can get to it. Any suggestions about the problem?

Absolutely love the coach otherwise. I don't think that I would have returned across the very windy NV desert in my previous unit, a gas powered Georgie Boy. The Monaco was a cruiser in comparison.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Greg from Almanor...
Welcome to iRV2 and the Monaco Forum! I feel you have found the friendliest and most knowledgable group of RV owners here at iRV2.

As far as your hum...yes there is all sorts of info here on that particular hum. I will try to locate the threads...but in the meantime you can go up near the top of the Monaco board... click the "Find" button and (THE following link has info)do a search on hum or stereo.

I would also like to invite you to join the Monaco Forum...just say "Karma please". We do tend to have lots of fun and laughs here along with sharing all sorts of information.

Again...welcome to iRV2... I hope to see you here in Monaco a lot... but venture out and look around the rest of iRV2 also!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Greg

We had the same problem in our 2007 Diplomat and we took it to the Monaco Service facility in Elkhart. Their solution was to add 2 more noise suppressing devices (we now had 3 of them in line).

This, however didn't solve the humming noise although it did reduce it some.

At the same time we had the dash radio replaced because the DVD function was faulty. They replaced it with another dash radio that had the same problems as the old one.

We decided that we didn't want to waste more time on this and that we wanted a completely different sound system and a new DVD. Our overhead cabinet was however too small to accommodate anything that had "normal size" so we made this modification:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Henrik Breum\Skrivebord\Hi-Fi-modification.jpg[/IMG]

We now have proper sound and a HD DVD. The difference is like night and day.

If you like good sound and nice picture quality you won't regret this. There are some reinforcement of the cabinet needed and you should add a couple of rubber stops between the AV units and the cabinets. If you are interested I can elaborate on this.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Dane...
You need to sign up at the Photos section and put your picture in there for it to show up on a forum!

MM

Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Take a look at The Danes_are_coming stereo system picture

(ok... I am on my way into work... but I will try to keep tabs today...)

Mama

Old 02-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Henrik,

VERY nice set-up. That is obviously the ultimate answer to the "hum problem".

Greg,

I've resolved the hum, but unfortunatatly I cannot tell you exactly how it happened. More info in this thread. Recently, I also removed the switch box that the dealer installed to see if the hum came back. It did not. So I suspect that the solution for me was a combination of some additional power line filters and perhaps the addition of a common ground. Now I'm extemely curous. I've got to get back to the dealer and find out exactly what they did.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. When I get a chance to get back to the coach I can pursue the problem at least a little more armed. In a way it's nice to hear that it's a somewhat common problem rather than a "ghost" in my unit only. Because it's never easy chasing ghosts.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Greg,

Yeah, that's for sure. Also I should add that I dealt with this problem over 7 months ago now. It well could be that Monaco Customer service may have a better solution than they offered me, since it has been a known problem for them.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Greg, I had the same problem in my Cayman, the dealer said the problem was caused by the florescent lights, but low and behold after he looked at it again for the 3rd time, MAGIC problem is gone. Now comes the question, How long will it remain GONE.

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote