Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

Noisy BR AC fan

2000 Dynasty. My Bed Room AC fan is very loud even on low. Any thoughts or suggestions? Does anyone else with this vintage coach have this issue? I think the units are duo therm? Almost sounds like an electrical box buzz going on too?? Front AC seems much quieter. If i am going to try a new unit what should I look at?

No idea if these are original.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the compressor is working, the fan motor and fan could be replaced. A squirrel cage fan can be out of balance and cause vibration and wear on the motor bearings. If the motor is good, it might just need a new fan.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #3

In the " Files " drop box , near the left of the dark blue bar across the page , under the Google search box. In the heating and air conditioning section, download the file " Duo Therm CCC " there may be some helpful info there.

Have you been up on the roof and removed the cover to check for debris ?
Watch out for mud dawber wasp nests. For whatever reason , they love my A/C roof units.

If your coach has a 4 button thermostat , there may be issues with replacing one A/C unit , newer units won't work properly with the 4 button , and replacing the thermostat and a circuit board in the other A/C may be required.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When I had this problem I discovered that the rigid 1/8" foam that creates the path of airflow through the unit (as observed from inside the coach after removing the ceiling panel) came loose, drooped and created turbulence and consequent noise. Unit quieted down after I reattached the foam strips. A simple, no cost fix.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The fan motor went bad on my 2002 Windsor a couple years ago, essentially the bearings were freezing up. I could barely turn the fan by hand. It was also making a lot of noise.

When I removed the motor and squirrel cage fan blade I found that the 4 rubber mounts were wore out allowing motor to sit lower, sometimes letting the fan blades hit the metal. The new motor came with new mounts.

The squirrel cage blade was also very dirty, impossible to clean while in place but with it out to change the motor I was able to clean.

I also cleaned out the other squirrel cage fan blade since I had to peel back the sheet metal on top to get too it, used compressed air to blow out the coils.

AC is much quitter now and pulls less amperage.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the info so far! Making a list.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Rusty

Some of the guys over on Yahoo Monacoers group have made covers
for the air intake .
They made them to act as a muffler to quite the noise down .
I haven't made or even heard one but they claim it really helps .
Most any thing should help some , I thought of playing with card board
as an experiment
Just need be careful that it does not restrict air flow to the intake .

Ray
Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #8

One noise that I had was the squirrel cage fan hitting the edge of the housing. You can clearly hear it on the roof. I removed the shroud and pried the housing to bend it away from the fan. Noise stopped! I'm not sure why the fan got in contact with the housing, but it was annoying and should be corrected, rather than muffled, since it is a drag on the fan. This is a possibility.
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo3 View Post
One noise that I had was the squirrel cage fan hitting the edge of the housing. You can clearly hear it on the roof. I removed the shroud and pried the housing to bend it away from the fan. Noise stopped! I'm not sure why the fan got in contact with the housing, but it was annoying and should be corrected, rather than muffled, since it is a drag on the fan. This is a possibility.

Thanks David , you are correct , the op should first correct any problems
with the fan motor or fan blade bragging , dirt daubers or any such things

Many people find the running noise objectionable and interferes with their
sleep even when they don't have a fan problem

That is what the muffler is meant to address , certainly not to cover up
defects such as yours

Ray D
Old 08-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have been experimenting with mufflers for several years.

As suggested, you first must take things apart inside and fix all the terrible air flow problems. I actually use some sticky back product that has sound dampening tar attached on one side and a smooth silver surface on the outside.

I have a 15K Duo Therm in the bedroom and living room. I had to turn the tv up and down when they cycle.

The registers that cover the inside part had a section that you slide to allow air to drop straight down. Even when closed they allowed a huge amount of noise through.

Short story. Remove the registers and cover the inside of that sliding part. While in there clean up the area to make sure no air leaks when you put it back on.

Now if you want to experiment before building a final muffler, just buy some 1/2 inch blue foam from Lowes.

Grab a roll of duct tape. Now construct a box that is the size of the plastic register. This box only has three sides, each 2 inches tall. And only one square bottom, or top if you wish to describe it that way.

Now face the opening of the box away from where you want it to be the most quiet. Tape that thing in place and fire it up.

You will be stunned at how much better it is.

Now take down every little register output cover and see if they have long plastic parts sticking way to far into the duct work. Seal those areas with metal duct tape and then reinstall the covers. You are going to be impressed how much more efficient the system is.

After the wife is done fussing about how ugly things are but how much quieter they are you can construct something much prettier.

I have been working on prototypes for several years and finally came up with a final product that looks great and allows me easy access to clean the filter.

If you have not had the roof covers off in a long time you need to do so and inspect the foam gaskets.

To clean both the radiators inside them you can use a cheap flexible cutting board to prevent water from getting inside the RV. Turn off circuit breakers of course and use gentle water pressure. There are lots of great cleaners but I like the one sold at Lowes in a spray can. Works great.

For my current adventure I am building AC drains. We now liver in Florida and have a virtual waterfall coming from them and it causes all kinds of messy things.

One AC has the drains installed and seems to be working great. Tomorrow if the weather permits I will build a set for the rear.

No I will not post pictures of my mufflers. See you on Shark Tank
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Rusty

Some of the guys over on Yahoo Monacoers group have made covers
for the air intake .
They made them to act as a muffler to quite the noise down .
I haven't made or even heard one but they claim it really helps .
Most any thing should help some , I thought of playing with card board
as an experiment
Just need be careful that it does not restrict air flow to the intake .

Ray
And the air intake is Where?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I have been experimenting with mufflers for several years.

As suggested, you first must take things apart inside and fix all the terrible air flow problems. I actually use some sticky back product that has sound dampening tar attached on one side and a smooth silver surface on the outside.

I have a 15K Duo Therm in the bedroom and living room. I had to turn the tv up and down when they cycle.

The registers that cover the inside part had a section that you slide to allow air to drop straight down. Even when closed they allowed a huge amount of noise through.

Short story. Remove the registers and cover the inside of that sliding part. While in there clean up the area to make sure no air leaks when you put it back on.

Now if you want to experiment before building a final muffler, just buy some 1/2 inch blue foam from Lowes.

Grab a roll of duct tape. Now construct a box that is the size of the plastic register. This box only has three sides, each 2 inches tall. And only one square bottom, or top if you wish to describe it that way.

Now face the opening of the box away from where you want it to be the most quiet. Tape that thing in place and fire it up.

You will be stunned at how much better it is.

Now take down every little register output cover and see if they have long plastic parts sticking way to far into the duct work. Seal those areas with metal duct tape and then reinstall the covers. You are going to be impressed how much more efficient the system is.

After the wife is done fussing about how ugly things are but how much quieter they are you can construct something much prettier.

I have been working on prototypes for several years and finally came up with a final product that looks great and allows me easy access to clean the filter.

If you have not had the roof covers off in a long time you need to do so and inspect the foam gaskets.

To clean both the radiators inside them you can use a cheap flexible cutting board to prevent water from getting inside the RV. Turn off circuit breakers of course and use gentle water pressure. There are lots of great cleaners but I like the one sold at Lowes in a spray can. Works great.

For my current adventure I am building AC drains. We now liver in Florida and have a virtual waterfall coming from them and it causes all kinds of messy things.

One AC has the drains installed and seems to be working great. Tomorrow if the weather permits I will build a set for the rear.

No I will not post pictures of my mufflers. See you on Shark Tank
Please post when the show airs so we can watch!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #13

Rusty ,

As I said I haven't made one but the descriptions I've read is like this
Imagine a box quite a bit larger than the intake grill that is attached
to the ceiling surrounding the grill
Now leave one end open maybe the opposing end too
Simple but it works

Shark Tank ? you'll need someone to test it so I'll volunteer . ( smile )

Ray
Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was kidding about Shark Tank. Seems every time I invent something someone else has done so.

There are so many AC variations it is difficult to come up with a universal kit. I really tried to implement a filter kit because the thin filters that are on the factory inlets is about useless. My AC units are very susceptible to freeze up so air restriction is an issue. Many prototypes have been built.

What would folks be willing to pay for a kit. No I am not trying nor will I build any for anyone. I have found it is easy to get spendy on materials.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan