Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Non-wiping wipers.

Anyone had problems with their wipers working one day, and then not the next.

I'm in Fort McDowell Arizona right now. Seven days ago I drove from Cottonwood Arizona to here. I'll be here for three months.

When I left Cottonwood on 10/1 there was a few stray showers hanging around. The last time I drove through the rain, the wipers worked fine. This time they would not work. Not sure why. I drove from Cottonwood to Fort McDowell without wipers, and truth is I only needed them for a very few minutes at the beginning of the trip, but, you better believe that possibly needing them at some point on the trip was on my mind the whole time.

I checked out the electrical schematic and found the color code for the motor plug, and in the manual, where the fuse/circuit breaker is for it. With the ignition circuit powered up, the key on, and the dash wiper switch turned to the fastest position, I checked the plug for dc power. There was none. I found the circuit breaker in the Monaco 1 fuse box, pulled it out and checked for continuity. It showed the breaker was conducting electricity.

Not sure why they use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse anyway. Anyone know this?

Since I've had lots of issues with the dash switches malfunctioning on this beast, I'm guessing it might be the problem. I'm going to break out the schematic again and see if there's a relay circuit that could be blocking the voltage to the motor. That would be another of my guesses. I'm also going to check the ohm's value on the wiper motor, just to make sure that it didn't go bad.

Anyone know the ohm's value for the motor?

Please chime in with an answer, a guess, or a suggestion. Many minds are surely better than one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundguy View Post
Anyone had problems with their wipers working one day, and then not the next.

I'm in Fort McDowell Arizona right now. Seven days ago I drove from Cottonwood Arizona to here. I'll be here for three months.

When I left Cottonwood on 10/1 there was a few stray showers hanging around. The last time I drove through the rain, the wipers worked fine. This time they would not work. Not sure why. I drove from Cottonwood to Fort McDowell without wipers, and truth is I only needed them for a very few minutes at the beginning of the trip, but, you better believe that possibly needing them at some point on the trip was on my mind the whole time.

I checked out the electrical schematic and found the color code for the motor plug, and in the manual, where the fuse/circuit breaker is for it. With the ignition circuit powered up, the key on, and the dash wiper switch turned to the fastest position, I checked the plug for dc power. There was none.

I found the circuit breaker in the Monaco 1 fuse box, pulled it out and checked for continuity. It showed the breaker was conducting electricity.

I would want to check both sides of that CB with it plugged in ..just to be sure.....checking with an ohm meter doesn't load the circuit.

Not sure why they use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse anyway. Anyone know this?

So that you don't have to replace the fuse every time the wipers get jammed up with ice or whatever and stalls the wiper motor.

Yes there is most likely a CB built into the motor also but these coaches leave something to be desired as far as electrical and more IMO

Since I've had lots of issues with the dash switches malfunctioning on this beast, I'm guessing it might be the problem. I'm going to break out the schematic again and see if there's a relay circuit that could be blocking the voltage to the motor. That would be another of my guesses. I'm also going to check the ohm's value on the wiper motor, just to make sure that it didn't go bad.

Since you have a wiring schematic and say you have no power to the wiper motor?.....make a jumper with a 10amp fuse and run 12vcd to the wiper motor and try the switch again.

Anyone know the ohm's value for the motor?

Nope!

Please chime in with an answer, a guess, or a suggestion. Many minds are surely better than one.
Happy Hunting

Old 11-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

Mission Accomplished.

So, I didn't exactly figure out why it wasn't working, but I did fix it so I again have fully functioning windshield wipers.

As I first stated with everything turned on as if I were getting ready to drive away, there was no DC power to the windshield wiper motor. No matter if the lights were on, the ignition switch on, the wiper switch on.

I pulled the motor, and ran 12 volts straight to it and it ran as it should.

I pulled the switch out of the dashboard. It looked good, and a replacement was at least $60 plus, so I decided to continue to work around it. I checked the red wire (12 vdc feed) in the harness going directly to the switch, and still no power, so I assumed that was probably the issue.

Apparently there's a relay or fuse not identified in the schematic from Monaco that was preventing power from getting to the switch. This coach is 17 years old so stuff like this is a common occurrence. The cb in the fuse panel showed good, and there was power running away from it.

Here was my fix. I ran a new power feed with an inline 10amp fuse from the coach battery terminal, in the fuse panel, below the driver's seat. After cutting the original red power feed to the switch, and safetying that off, I connected the new 12vdc power source to the red wire (power in) on the wiring harness that feeds the windshield wiper switch in the dash. The box then sends power to the motor based on what position the the rotary switch is in.

My coach has a power shut-off switch for the coach ignition system in the battery compartment, so when I'm parked, and that is off, there's no power running to the wiper motor.

Cost for the fix, about $5.00, including some heavy gauge thhn stranded wire, a fuse holder and 10 amp fuse, a terminal connector, and a couple of crimp connectors.

On to the next project.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I didn't see your original post. As I was reading your thread today I was about to suggest checking that relay before I saw your last post. The relay is in the front run bay and in my Dip it just hangs there on the end of a wire harness. I believe its purpose is to turn your headlights on when you turn your wipers on. (This may be to satisfy a Canadian law - not sure.) The relay has a habit of vibrating loose. I eventually secured mine with a plastic wire tie.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Robin M, thanks for that suggestion. I'll probably check that relay soon, and if that's the case, I'll consider going back to the original wiring. But, I'm going to keep my "fix" power feed in place, just in case.

The electrical panel in the compartment below the driver's position looks like it has many "fixes" in it from the previous owners or their mechanics. In my opinion, it's also poorly laid out. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it's layout.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
What model and year do you own? I may have some schematics and diagrams that will help you sort out that power bay.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #7

2000 Monaco Diplomat 40'

I do have the electrical schematic for it, but it doesn't specify how power gets to the switch. It just shows it coming out of something like a Freightliner interface.

Thanks, Vince