Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold converts/residential refrigerator owners: How deep are your doors?

I am still negotiating with Lazydays for repair/replacement of a failing Norcold 1200LRIM (posted HERE). http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/and-...-a-183362.html

I was really looking forward to putting in the popular Samsung RF197ACRS. After having read of so many successful Sam installs in other Monacos of similar vintage, I assumed it would be a no-brainer install. Then I started to measure my space. Seems that with my floorplan, fridge area has max wall to wall dimension of 25". With pantry doors and Norcold doors included, width is down to 20.5" This is a narrow passage. I'm not a big guy, and I just fit without touching the walls. Because of the door depth of the Sam including handles is 6.1" (Norcold is just 2.3"), I would have to sacrifice another 3.8". That narrows the passage to 16.7"! I won't do that. I would go uo to 2" deeper, though.

So, how deep are your doors from cabinet edge to the handles. Guess I'm looking for 4.5" deep or less. Make & model?

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	50625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	50626  

Dogcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #2

refrig

Tomorrow (if I don't forget) when I am down at my warehouse I will do some measuring of the doors and handles and the frig from the back to the front of the frig without the doors and with the doors and handles. I am pretty sure I have mine as far back as it will go and still open the doors even thou there is still rooom behind it.
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Cliff,

I have approximately 23 inches from the solid oak hallway wall to the handle of the freezer drawer because that one is horizontal. The vertical fridge handles are before the hallway solid wall.

See photos.

I would expect that your Sig could have some extra room in the rear whereas my Windsor had almost no extra room. The NotSoCold was almost right up against the outside wall of the coach.

Take a look in the outside access panel to see how much extra room you have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0446.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	50666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung RF197 Fridge.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	50667  

Name:	IMG_0760.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	50668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0761.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	50669  

Name:	IMG_0762.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	50670   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 liter Halon Norcold-01.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	50671  

Name:	IMG_0732 (2).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	50672  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Cliff,

I have approximately 23 inches from the solid oak hallway wall to the handle of the freezer drawer because that one is horizontal. The vertical fridge handles are before the hallway solid wall.

See photos.

I would expect that your Sig could have some extra room in the rear whereas my Windsor had almost no extra room. The NotSoCold was almost right up against the outside wall of the coach.

Take a look in the outside access panel to see how much extra room you have.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
You still can't inset the hinge of the frig inside the opening because if you did the frig door wouldn't open but you do want to have the frig set as far in that still allows the door to open 90 degrees at least.
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Dogcliff.......I measured mine for a year because of height issues with a heater underneath. I was also concerned about the depth. The Samsung, with door handles is 30.5" deep. Many look at the Norcold depth and say it won't work. Norcold measures ONLY their BOX depth when they give specs. I believe that is 24". The reason for this is that every manufacturer uses a different panel insert on the Norcold doors with different depths. Take a measurement from the edge of your Norcold box to the outer edge of your doors (door thickness) and add that to the 24", you'll find your Norcold doors are pretty thick.

If there is still too much depth, keep in mind that if you're handy, you can make flat door handles that will attach to the Samsung. The Samsung handles attach with a set screw. You can make flat aluminum handles and gain 2 + inches.

If you have the cabinet depth, you can also cheat the Samsung a little deeper into the cabinet. The hinges on the Samsung are designed so that the doors open without extending wider than the width of the refer box.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
That is correct boaterok.

The face of the Samsung fridge body needs to be flush with your wood face opening. That allows the door to swing open correctly.

I measured from the face of my oak trim to the face of the door and also the outer most curvature of the handles.

Here is what they are:

The door face is 2 1/2 inches from the wood trim.
The outer most curvature of the handles is 5 inches from the wood trim.

After looking closer at the hinges, the fridge could go back another 1/2 inch and still be able to open and close the French doors providing that you had the room in the back which I don't.

So you could shave off 1/2 inch from the measurements above.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
OK. So my critical dimensions are
1) Frig depth without doors: <25" (0" clearance)
2) front of frig (installed) without doors to door handle terminus: 4 1/2 +/- a little...

This is all about minimizing front edge of box to opposite wall dimension.

If there is still too much depth, keep in mind that if you're handy, you can make flat door handles that will attach to the Samsung. The Samsung handles attach with a set screw. You can make flat aluminum handles and gain 2 + inches.

That might just work...Back to the tape measure...
Dogcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcliff View Post

OK. So my critical dimensions are
1) Frig depth without doors: <25" (0" clearance)
2) front of frig (installed) without doors to door handle terminus: 4 1/2 +/- a little...

This is all about minimizing front edge of box to opposite wall dimension.

That might just work...Back to the tape measure...
Cliff,

If you go back and look closely at photos #3-#5 of my post, they are the ones that I had taken BEFORE the handles were installed.

You will see the mounts at each end where the handles would get set-screwed to the mounts. There are two mounts for each handle.

Photos #1-#2 have the handles installed.

It would take some ingenuity and creativity but it could work very well for you.

That way the flat part of the door and drawer would be your determining factor.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
refrigerator, norcold, door