Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2017, 04:12 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Norcold Dead

When to my Motor Home after a few days and the Norcold was dead, no light and no cooling. Checked the 5 amp fuse and it was Okay. Any place else to look or is time to replace it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Look in the rear outside access cover to see if the infamous Black Box recall POS has a red LED light lit up.

If so take a very strong magnet and slowly move it around the top of the box to reset the worthless piece of junk.

If it resets then be very cautious in using the fridge. If it trips again for no apparent reason have the fridge and BB inspected by an authorized Norcold service tech.

If all is good then my recommendation is to remove the BB piece of junk and install the ARPrv unit which really works and will not shut you down for no good reason.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Anyone know if the godsons extended warranty will cover replacement and if yes will they allow the use of a residential fridge rather than the Nor cold?
Old 02-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktr View Post
Anyone know if the godsons extended warranty will cover replacement and if yes will they allow the use of a residential fridge rather than the Nor cold?
Do you mean Good Sam? If so they paid to repair our Norcold minus the deductible of course. The price of the cooling unit alone was about what you could get a residential for but they are touchy about stuff like that.

Might want to call and ask anonymously first, if they will answer questions like that without your member number. Or try looking online pretending to be shopping for a plan and ask on the online chat. Say "a friend of mine..." Save the chat log. I stung them once like that when they tried to weasel out of paying part of a claim.

We replaced our Norcold with a residential at our own cost BTW.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
When to my Motor Home after a few days and the Norcold was dead, no light and no cooling. Checked the 5 amp fuse and it was Okay. Any place else to look or is time to replace it?
Look behind the rear access cover for a yellow powder. Any sign of this, your cooling unit has sprung a leak, and will need to be replaced, or the entire fridge.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
well if no lite and then no12v of course your fridge wont cool
1) 12V supply system is on and working?
2) is red lite on temp shut down system(black box)

if your sure the 12V system is 100% and the red lite in not on then
hard to say but sounds like bad control board
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Look behind the rear access cover for a yellow powder. Any sign of this, your cooling unit has sprung a leak, and will need to be replaced, or the entire fridge.
but? that has nothing to do with no 12V power supply? yes yellow residue is cool unit failure for sure but even if new unit installed still have to find out where the 12V supply failure is
Old 02-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The one fridge I had spring a cooling unit leak, it shut the fridge right down.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The one fridge I had spring a cooling unit leak, it shut the fridge right down.
yes if the unit leaked and then overheated the black box would shut the fridge down but that does not seem to be what the OP is describing
if one had no black box and the unit leaked it would not cool but would continue to have a complete 12V supply
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
How I got "godsons extended warranty" and not Good Sam's I will never know but yes it is Good Sam's. It is in the shop now and we will see what happens
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Might want to call and ask anonymously first, if they will answer questions like that without your member number. Or try looking online pretending to be shopping for a plan and ask on the online chat. Say "a friend of mine..." Save the chat log....
Heck, if you're gonna tell a lie, I'd make it a better one. I'd tell them that "having just seen another coach that had burned as a result of the unsafe Norcold refrigerator, it would be ludicrous to put any money at all into fixing a unit with a documented history of causing fires and I absolutely refuse to to do that. What I would ask is that you allow me the money you would have paid to do that against the installation of a safe residential refrigerator. And in so doing, you would be saving yourself an expensive future claim, and perhaps saving my life, or that of my wife, at the same time. That wouldn't cost you any more and would support your long standing reputation as a company who cares about the safety of your customers."

Yeah, I know.... but I'd try it anyway.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Heck, if you're gonna tell a lie, I'd make it a better one.
Normally I would never resort to a tactic like that at all. One reason was after asking if a road side assistance would be paid to get there and back, they said yes. That was wrong but that's how it went. After some argument they said they listened to the recorded call and told me the representative did not say that. So I asked them to play it back for me. Response was we can't do that. I asked why since it was just you and I on the call. No dice, can't hear it. So I fought fire with fire the next time. Same scenario except I had the chat log saved. They sent me a check.

My guess is they don't give a rats you know what about your safety. After all it's the responsibility of the manufacturer. They might go for it if the price tag is lower and can't figure out a way to get out of it completely.

I know others have had good experiences with GS, we have had both good and bad. The bad are starting to surpass the good.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. And of course they don't care about your safety. But when you want something from somebody, it's always good to say something nice about them.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
looks like the cooling unit is dead. Trying to decide if I should repair or replace with a domestic unit

Tags
norcold