Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Norcold Ice Maker

My Norcold frig has an ice maker that produces ice just fine, however, in the bottom of the ice bucket there is a frozen pond of water. and the cubes sitting on top.
I was thinking that too much water is entering the ice maker flooding over into the bucket. Is there an adjustment either outside on the solenoid or inside on the ice maker itself to reduce the water intake?
I know...get rid of the Norcold, but it has had the recall and a new mother board and works just fine even in recent Florida temps in the upper 90's.
I just don't need a 3# ice cube for my drink.
Thanks
Dave
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The icemaker relies on a solenoid valve that opens/closes to allow water into the ice tray. The valve could have some debris in it allowing water to seep through. You could try cleaning and/or just replace. They are pretty cheap and not difficult to replace, 2 wires spads and 2 hose connections and the mounting bolts/screws.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The icemaker relies on a solenoid valve that opens/closes to allow water into the ice tray. The valve could have some debris in it allowing water to seep through. You could try cleaning and/or just replace. They are pretty cheap and not difficult to replace, 2 wires spads and 2 hose connections and the mounting bolts/screws.
Thanks Jim, I will look into that and try cleaning it out or as you suggest replacing it altogether.
Of course today it is raining like crazy in North Carolina.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
There is supposedly a adjustment screw on the side . however i've never used it. Its the left side as you look at the front under the cover. You will have to remove the maker to see it (3 screws loosen the top 2 and remover the bottom.)This is a standard "whirlpool" ice maker. If you Google it you'll find dozens listed. Norcold sells their branded one for over a hundred $ but you can buy the same one for 40-50 bucks online.
The fill solenoid is timed and if for example you have higher water pressure That could affect the fill amount. What you are experiencing is what the manual indicates most probably as water pressure related, provided it has worked properly before.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem. The attached document showed me what caused it, how to prevent it, and how to fix it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IcemakerSvcBltn.pdf (623.3 KB, 55 views)
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

Assuming it is a Norcold 1200 Series

Ice Maker and Components.....how it works, adjustments, troubleshooting etc begins on pg 56
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...68C_022707.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
There is supposedly a adjustment screw on the side . however i've never used it. Its the left side as you look at the front under the cover. You will have to remove the maker to see it (3 screws loosen the top 2 and remover the bottom.)This is a standard "whirlpool" ice maker. If you Google it you'll find dozens listed. Norcold sells their branded one for over a hundred $ but you can buy the same one for 40-50 bucks online.
The fill solenoid is timed and if for example you have higher water pressure That could affect the fill amount. What you are experiencing is what the manual indicates most probably as water pressure related, provided it has worked properly before.
Bill, The higher water pressure may be the answer. When we were in Florida last week, we were the first on the water line and had really great water pressure. This is the first time we have had a problem with the ice maker, so it may have have just been too much pressure. I should have put the water pressure restrictor on, but forgot.
Thanks.
Dave
Old 06-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Assuming it is a Norcold 1200 Series

Ice Maker and Components.....how it works, adjustments, troubleshooting etc begins on pg 56
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...68C_022707.pdf

It is the 1200 model.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I had a similar problem. The attached document showed me what caused it, how to prevent it, and how to fix it.
Thanks Tony.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #10

Remove icemaker and adjust the flow amount on the side, it does not take much of a move. I have the frig and had the same problem a few years ago.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Remove icemaker and adjust the flow amount on the side, it does not take much of a move. I have the frig and had the same problem a few years ago.
Thanks Earl. I think it was high water pressure at the campground and no pressure regulator attached, (my bad), but next week when we are on the road I will check it again and make the adjustments you recommended if need be.
Thanks again,
Dave
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #12

It's also possible to get slopover if the ice isn't hard while driving. That is, the machine fills the little tray then you drive down the road before the water freezes.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
It's also possible to get slopover if the ice isn't hard while driving. That is, the machine fills the little tray then you drive down the road before the water freezes.
We don't make ice while traveling, but I see your point of the water sloshing over the top and ponding in the ice bucket while moving. I start the process once we are set up at a campground,.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #14

I had the same problem. The ice maker had an internal leak. Replaced the whole unit cost was about $125.00. If I recall the ice maker was made by Whirlpool. Takes an hour to swap out.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold